RIP DOA

daboarder

Brothers,

We are gathered here today to shed a tear for one of the most exhilarating army builds GW has given players in a Long time. No longer will our forces be able to strike from the skies on blazing wings. Reserves have moved to 50% max. Truly GW giveth and GW taketh away.

All hail the lord of profit's

Yeah, but it only takes a 3 + for them to come in on turn 2 and I think after turn 3 they all come in automatically.

Deep Strike all over the place, there is no real risk of things not appearing before it is too late, especially with our re-roll rule.

I would argue, heavy Deep Strike lists are better than ever.

I think its acceptable, I can adapt. I usually played fully reserved but having 50% of my force on the board I can deal with. Flyers starting fully reserved is a nuisance as it removes flexibility. I understand you can not manipulate that 50% figure either as the required reserves IE drop pods and flyers dont count as the 50% held in reserve. I will work around it with the change in weapons and assault Vanguard Vets look very good Death Company look awesome take Astorath then flip that 50% the bird.

3 man DC squad 3 man DC squad 12 man DC Squad for example

Van Guard look good

Death Company look good

Sanguinary Guard look awesome (if their glaive encarmine is not turned into an axe in the FAQ)

Lemartes looks godlike

Mephiston is even better

Sanguinor looks crap now (see SG above) he cant even slice up a terminator without giving it a 2+ save (underwhelming for 275 points unless FAQ'ed)

Corbulo and Tycho look okay

Astorath looks good

Dante looks good (if his axe mortalis is not nerfed needs a FAQ too)

Too early its a wait and see for me I am not too worried in another 4-5 years it will all change again.

So instead of the 4 RAS +sang your +support units . now your going to run 4RAS[2 in pods] +sang + support unit . maybe move some of the support units in to pod dread ones to get more RAS/DC using jumps.

but realy if you want to ponder the death of a build check how "awesome" pure razor is doing right now.

My support elements are going to be 2 squads of typhoons and a scout squad with sniper rifles sitting in a Storm, Allies also lets me snag a Captain with Relic blade, SS, and JP....bring on the challengers.

best thing, in accordance with battle brothers my allies all gain the benefits of a priest.

So instead of the 4 RAS +sang your +support units . now your going to run 4RAS[2 in pods] +sang + support unit . maybe move some of the support units in to pod dread ones to get more RAS/DC using jumps.

but realy if you want to ponder the death of a build check how "awesome" pure razor is doing right now.

Yep what the Jeske said + one

If mech start on the board its 3rd turn before they can even get out and assault now. Go figure why, even with these reserves we are guaranteed almost 75% of our force on the board by 3rd turn. How many troops will be out in the open ? pod VV with AP3 bolters coming down or DC with bolters in a pod anyone?

Flyers seem solid and people now have to invest up to what 200-300 pts in terrain what does this mean to a jumpack list I guess just fewer guys to kill

Truly GW giveth and GW taketh away.
I think it is sad that it is not even an option anymore. Major nerf to any army for tactical flexibility.

(Dante + Libby + Priest + S.Guard) deepstrike = the rest of the army starts on the board, mandatory. Ok , only nearly the rest of the army under 2k... but it is only one squad!

Truly GW giveth and GW taketh away.
I think it is sad that it is not even an option anymore. Major nerf to any army for tactical flexibility.

(Dante + Libby + Priest + S.Guard) deepstrike = the rest of the army starts on the board, mandatory. Ok , only nearly the rest of the army under 2k... but it is only one squad!

Its not quite that bad IC are part of the "unit" so that still only counts as one.

@atlantic, reserves come in on a 3+ on turns 2 and 3, and then auto on turn 4...given we get re-rolls for all of our jump pack ones, not being on the table on turn 3 is pretty slim.

@daboarder, unfortunately ICs count separately. So Dante, a unit of Sanguinary Guard and a Sanguinary Priest would actually count as 3 units, even if you dropped them in together.

I can see why they've put the rule in though, as they've brought back the rule that if you have no models on the table at the end of any game turn, you lose the game (p 122). If full DoA was still in effect, and you tried it, you'd auto-lose on turn 1.

We've lost a lot flavour, but we gained a lot as well. Take DoA(the rule itself): our reserves arrive on a 3+ from turn 2, and we may re-roll it even! And we still scatter only D6. Those who may descend from the skies will do so with even greater precision.

Snorri

My support elements are going to be 2 squads of typhoons and a scout squad with sniper rifles sitting in a Storm, Allies also lets me snag a Captain with Relic blade, SS, and JP....bring on the challengers.

best thing, in accordance with battle brothers my allies all gain the benefits of a priest.

Sadly the FAQ says:

Sanguinary Priests, Blood Chalice.

Change first sentence to: “All friendly units chosen fromCodex:

Blood Angelswithin 6" are subject to the Furious Charge and

Feel No Pain special rules”.

You can manipulate the IC rule the other way though. Consider Tycho, Sternguard, Corbulo, backed up by two ML Dev squads. Thats 5 DOA units allowed.

Yep, Sounds exactly like the list idea I had.

Sternguard, backup of Tacticals or Devs, Corbulo, another IC (Tycho is a good choice) and boom, the rest drops.

that's not too hard considering you can dump 3000 pts into a jump packing troop choice. A single troop choice, no less.

add astorath and your second troop choice could well be 2850. How many points do you wish to spend, really?

You can manipulate the IC rule the other way though. Consider Tycho, Sternguard, Corbulo, backed up by two ML Dev squads. Thats 5 DOA units allowed.

Yep, Sounds exactly like the list idea I had.

Sternguard, backup of Tacticals or Devs, Corbulo, another IC (Tycho is a good choice) and boom, the rest drops.

Starting to sound like a good thing when I think about it a bit more. It seems that the 6th is about no more spamming a certain type of unit, but rather about having an army list with lots of variety, or "one of each" mentality.

So...

Can we use Drop Pods and DoA? 2 -3 Squads in Pods with HQs and 2-3 squads of DoA. Or is this option against the rules now?

Just asking because it will have a huge impact on the army I'm currently building. :(

My problem with this is that half your drop pods come in turn 1 and your DoA troops don't come until turn two. You enemy is going to get to focus fire down that first drop pod wave making their initial assault a little weak. And you'd still need 2 squads on the table to put 2-3 squads in reserve to DoA.

Archived