Lord Graviax of the World Eaters

Boltman

So what has Boltman been up to? I have been very abscent for the B&C for a long while now, with lot happening in my life The end result is I'm married, made a very modulat City of Death Table, completed a Deathguard army, and painted various projects that are not power armor unfortunately.

After taking a break last year, this year I felt it was time to challenge myself for Golden Demons, like really challenge myself. I decided to try my hand at my first full sculpt (except torse which is a plastic terminator's enlarge), and throw the NMM out the window to force myself out of my comfort zone and learn about metallics. Either I succeeded or crashed and burned big time. Although this still Khorne, you'll have to admit there is an evolution in the style and quality of the color. Next project I'll try another color, promise! :)

I learned a lot on this project, and although you many not agree form teh pictures, it is by far my best work yet. You see, NMM has a tendency to look better on pictures, whereas real metallics look far better in real life.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/Silphid/2007%20Canadian%20Slayer%20Sword/GraviaxCMON.jpg

Had I had more time, I would have added contrast to the visage and work on the damage on the cape. I will keep those in mind for the next project!

Comments welcome :)

It's looking great!

The metalics worked out big time and the 'battle damage' is especially well done. As is the free hand and the dynamic pose.

Somehow it reminds me of Warmachine Khador faction miniatures.

Any chance of seeing your Death Guard miniatures, btw.?

Now thats what I call a comeback, good to see you back mate.

The models looking absolutely stunning, would it possible to get a size comparison, it's just due to the amount of detail it looks as though it should be inquisitor scale. :)

As Ravenheart requested, it'd be awesome to catch a glimpse of you death guard.

Look forward to what you got panned next.

Dan :devil:

First off, congrats on your marriage BoltMan :devil:.

Second, a very beautiful mini. You are an example for all us world eater-players :)

No seriously, I am jealous of your skill. I will write you a song, called Ode to BoltMan :)

Great Job Mr. Slayer Sword himself! What an accomplishment! I just got my first demon and what a feeling it is so, I can only imagine how you feel. How many hours was this one and do you have a GS before paint picture? Great work on the metallics. I am working on metallics also. I love the weapon and the wear on the armor. I would not change a thing.I second were can we go to see your other "NEW" work(DG, etc)?

Drakon

Heh, this one's not bad at all. :tu: Considering you've sculpted it yourself, I gotta say that you are one very talented guy in the miniature field. I don't think I've seen anyone soar at your speed to the heights you are at now. :D

The painting and converting is superb in my opinion. The only thing I do find that I do not like, is the perhaps a bit too tidy look of the armor(even with the scratches, it looks like it has just been washed). Another thing, is that I think it could have lots more detail, him being a chaos marine and all, some smaller chaos stars, chains, rivets, etc. It looks a tad bit too plain.

But anyways, nitpicks aside, that's one great miniature. Keep it up.

Cheers

Have you got any WIP shots of him? Any pre paint? I want to see the steps used to make him... if you do.. what are the chances of another great tutorial?

-Legacy40k

Beautiful! It's good to see that you've used real metallics on this one, well painted metallics (like yours) tend to look several times better than well painted NMM (again, like yours). :tu:

Great sculpting as well! May I ask how long this model took you, all in all?

Cheers; Moribund!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, although you know that allready don't you? :)

I think that you've payed attention to the smaller details that most of us, myself included might have missed; the vent/motors on the chain-axe and the Khornate and chaos details on the soles of his armour for example.

I can only hope that my skills will improve to a point where I can produce such amazing miniatures as you do Boltman.

And congratulations on your marriage. :D

I would also like to ask that you post up pictures of your Death Guard. :tu:

I'm tight on time, but a few answers off the top of my head,

- It took me roughly 200 hours to learn how to sculpt the thing, which is what I'm most proud of, and about 200 to adapt my painting style and learn metallics. Much like Magmatrax the Juggernaut, I learned and improved on the model, explaining the very large amount of time spent. But the results are worth it.

- I don't have any decent pictures of Deathguard because they are mostly drybrushed models, and some conversions. The Nurgle Demon Prince is kinda neat, I'll see about pictures when the dust settles.

- WIP pics. I have a few, very few, because I was experimenting. I took pictures of some attempts that didn't work out, so in the end got tired of documenting all the failures. Again, when the dust settles.

- Tutorial. I am not going to write something as extensive as the 32 page Tutorial (don't have the time with work and family, -you know, grown up life), but I will definetly make something for the community to transmit some of what I have learned. Either an online article or potentially something for white dwarf.

Thanks for the kind words guys :tu:

Archived