Painting: Wet Pallete Tutorial

This is my friend Starks333's Tutorial.

A wet palette is excellent for painting because it allows you to thin paints and keep those consistencies wet for a lengthened period of time, I had foundation paint on saturday, brought my model home and finished him on monday with the same paint left on my palette, but ive had paint last up to a week in it

You need the following:

-parchment paper

-plastic container

-absorbant paper towel

-scissors

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/Wet%20Palette/100_3243.jpg

First apply several layers of paper towel to the bottom, cut and shape as necessary, adding thickness holds more water and prevents the shape of the container from forcing water onto your palette( in some cases like mine the sides are sloped and bottom grooved and if the towel isnt high enough the water flows onto the palette which=bad)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/Wet%20Palette/100_3245.jpg

next:

add water to saturate the paper towel, you can have some water sitting on top and around but not too much

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/Wet%20Palette/100_3247.jpg

finally:

add a layer of parchment paper to the top, press it down, wait, an the edges will curl, press them down again smile.gif (as you can see mines well used already)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/Wet%20Palette/100_3248.jpg

and thats it.

You can get Parchment paper at any grocery store it's normally in the same section as wax paper, tin foil and saran wrap.

It should say Parchment paper on the box and it's pretty cheap.

• 5 months later...

I finally got round to trying this today, and WOW!! It's so simple and absolutely brilliant!

I was a firm believer in using a ceramic tile but this is so much better. I really cannot recommend this method enough!!

Many thanks for a great idea and an excellent tutorial. I think its going to change the way I paint :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick note. Do not use WAX PAPER. There is a significant difference between wax paper and parchment and they are not interchangeable.

Wax paper, as the name suggests, is permeated with a heavy wax coating. It PREVENTS water getting through. You WANT water to get through.

Alright, cheers, I'll try that then.

Edit: As there wasn't any in the local Tesco Express, I resorted to using normal greaseproof paper, and so far it's working reasonably well. Foundation paint has lasted around an hour and isn't showing any signs of drying. Compared to the usual 4 to 5 minutes, up to 10 if watered, this is a huge improvement.

I found this article about a month ago and made one immediately. The paints stayed damp and usable until last night. They were still usable, but I was finished with the mixes I made. I think this is great.

edit: One thing I noticed is that the paints separate a lot. Easy to deal with simply by mixing up before using again. However, I read somewhere that tap water has minerals that can make the paints separate and to use distilled water to solve this problem. I am going to try that when I set up my next wet pallete.

• 8 months later...
Wow.. I've read a lot of tips since I've gotten back into painting and modeling miniatures, but this is by far the best! What a difference! Before when I was using a cheap, plastic palette, I would notice that painting would become more difficult only minutes after pulling paint from a pot. As soon as I pulled more paint or added water, things would get better again. Using a wet palette? Forget about it, my paint now stays wet forever and goes on so much more easily. Thanks a ton. Hurray! :P

If anyone from other countries is having trouble finding the paper because it's called something else, parchment paper is just a thin paper used for baking that you use to line your cookie sheets (for example).

As an interesting aside for the environmentally conscious, you CAN bake cookies on parchment paper and still use it in your wet palette. :P

depends on your environment...all day is common as long as its not under a lamp, or your house isnt extra humid or extra dry...

if its in a container with a lid, you can keep it good for multiple days, just be careful sme colours will change hue, becaus ethey seperate, and you cant get them back to the original colour..so you will have to apply a new puddle of paint

i find this happens when painting my armies, but not so much on anything else...could be the colours more than anything

Archived