The Veteran.

Grey_Death

Well, he's finally finished ^_^! Thanks a ton to everyone who followed him over in the WIP.

On with the pics:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0340.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0341.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0343.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0344.jpg

Chapter Badge to come when I get around to putting it on the whole army at the end.

C&C Welcome.

A great model! It's hard to tell it has been an EC once, wich is impressive considering how iconic the EC is in the first place.

Btw, since your nick is Grey_Death and you painted your marines grey i somehow assumed you would be familiar with the grey death legion from the battletech universe and expected the "company's" badge to be the chapter badge as well. Maybe just a strange coincidence? :huh:

Edit: I just read your chapter name so I guess i had the answer right in front of me. :rolleyes:

Corvus - I hit a block when I was painting the sword and had to dig up some ideas. I went searching here for Power Weapon Tutorials to see if anyone had any neat ideas I could thief >.>.. I ran across this, which lead me to this pic which I used as a base for what I wanted to do :huh:. I had some issues on the front side of the sword. The angle was really giving me problems and it didn't come out as clean as I would have liked it to. The backside seemed to be 5 times easier >.>.

Durus - I was an avid BTech player back in the day (which was a wednesday). And when I made the switch over to Warhammer 40k, I sat down and wanted to play a Space Wolves army. Well, my friend who got me into the game didn't have the correct colors to paint a space wolf...>.>...so I painted my guys whatever colors I thought looked good. And from that came this guy!. I was grasping for names and another friend suggested the Grey Death Legion :P. The name stuck but I never snagged the icon from them.

Lotsa - It's somewhat of an odd phenomenon the difference someone perceives between when a model/project is in WIP and after they're painted. The paint really pulls all of the different pieces of the puzzle together into one cohesive model instead of a mash of plastics and metals :D. Thanks for the compliment on the weapon. I really think I'll continue to use this style/technique for them. Even if it takes a bit longer to do ^_-.

Corvus - No problem man, Hopefully the picture helps out some. I'd write up a tutorial for it but well...it was kind of hit or miss while I was painting it. Maybe after I've got the hang of it a bit more I'll see about writing something up for everyone to be able to use.

Stratokhan - Thanks for the compliments ^_^. I really think the bright contrast of the weapons to the stark armor plays off well. I'm really happy with how it came together. And all the effort I put into hammering down those elements will pay off big time when I'm plodding my way through the rest of the army.

Mecharius - Thanks man ^_^. I really gave this mini way more attention than I should have ^_-;

Durus - I was an avid BTech player back in the day (which was a wednesday). And when I made the switch over to Warhammer 40k, I sat down and wanted to play a Space Wolves army. Well, my friend who got me into the game didn't have the correct colors to paint a space wolf...>.>...so I painted my guys whatever colors I thought looked good. And from that came this guy!. I was grasping for names and another friend suggested the Grey Death Legion :). The name stuck but I never snagged the icon from them.

Ah, i see. ;)

I but you could utilize it now (since you said you wanted to take a skull design anyways... :D ). Or maybe an orange skull...i don't want to start an (off-topic) debate about it here though.

I applaud your decision to stick to the first coloursheme you painted (on a marine). Seems like like it was the right decision. Your marines look great. ^_^

Baal - Thanks for the compliment :jaw: The EC is a real pain to work on, but it's definitely a great model base. You just have to have time effort and a vision for what you want.

Durus - Heh, we'll see what I end up doing for the chapter badge. My first reaction has been a skull design, just not sure if it will be in the same vein as BTech GDL. As for first colorscheme, here is the FIRST model I ever painted :jaw:!:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/firstmodel.gif

Some of the colors have changed but the Grey remains ^_-

Beautiful use of greys. I like the dark contrasts with white detailing. Its al very smooth. Smart use of bitz as previously mentioned as well.

Since you did start with a red PW and Lenses I think a Red Circle (instead of a blood splatter) background and the skull using the same white as the bolter and shoulder rim could be painted on. Battletech used alot of triangular symbol themes, maybe do a red triangle and skull like the squad badge of the Dark Angels. Could be an easy cross-over. Sort of a mixture of the Kell Hounds or Capellan Confederation symbols from the Inner Sphere. Simple but effective. (I played BattleTech for about 5 years).

Great Job!! :jaw:

edit: some fans did this as a gray death symbol...

• 2 weeks later...
how did you do the sand its looks so good

It is actually REALLY simple.

I base all of my mini's before I prime. That way it's all sealed up when I prime and I don't get a bunch of crap in my brushes. The colors were simply bestial brown, let to dry, then drybrushed to texture with Bleached Bone. Tada..>.> easy mode sand.

Oh and thanks for the additional comments folks ^_^.

• 1 year later...

Archived