Dreadnought autocannon arm

Gurth

Here are some photos of a dreadnought autocannon arm I fabricated the other day:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/troep/dreadnought_met_autocannons_rechtsvoor.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/troep/dreadnought_met_autocannons_linksvoor.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/troep/dreadnought_met_autocannons_rechtsachter.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/troep/dreadnought_met_autocannons_linksvoor_detail.jpg

And detail shots of just the arm:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/troep/autocannon_buitenkant.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/troep/autocannon_binnenkant.jpg

It's made from a lascannon arm. I cut off the lascannon barrels from the inner and outer parts of the arm, and also removed most of the top and side armor of the outer part of the arm, leaving just enough room to fit two autocannons from an Imperial Guard heavy weapons team sprue. The cannons had most of the detail on their left side removed so they'd fit properly, but that's out of sight anyway, and I cut off the large mounting brackets that they need for the IG tripod. Other than that, a few gaps needed to be filled with plastic card, I cut the targeter off the outer part so it could be relocated to the same position on the new arm, and that's pretty much that: twin-linked autocannons per the Imperial Armour 2 book.

it looks like the barrels point in slightly different directions.

I suspect they do, but only very slightly. It looks much more pronounced in the first two photos, but they distort things a bit due to the barrels pointing somewhat toward the camera.

Love the model, reminds me of some of the Robotech and Battletech models... to bad two Autocannon Arms aren't legal.

Yes they are :) Mortis Pattern Dreadnoughts may even take two of them ^^

http://www.minivault.com/images/DWDreadLob.JPG

Only, if you're playing DA, of course :devil:

Besides that: Great job, looking really convincing.

It seems to me, that left arms aren't possible with this tutorial because of how the autocannons are build :(

Love the model, reminds me of some of the Robotech and Battletech models...

You're not the first to compare it to an oldstyle ("unseen") Rifleman, no ;)

to bad two Autocannon Arms aren't legal.

What do you mean? Having a dreadnought with one arm with two autocannon, or with two arms with two autocannon each? Both are legal if you use the rules from Imperial Armour 2 …

Do I see a Clan Elemental in the background?

Yep. It's the old Ral Partha 25-mm figure that I bought ages ago, and repainted not entirely to my satisfaction a few years ago. I haven't got round to re-stripping and re-repainting it yet, though :)

It seems to me, that left arms aren't possible with this tutorial because of how the autocannons are build :HS:

True, I think. What you could do is mount them upside-down, but that doesn't look too convincing. What I'd try, though, would be to saw out the drum magazine and glue it back in so it sticks out of the left of the weapon. You may want to get yourself four autocannon to cut up into two weapons to do this, because else you may have trouble making things fit together properly. But since I don't have a DA successor chapter (the dreadnought's colour kind of gives that away already, doesn't it? :blush:) I don't have a need for two autocannon arms.

• 3 weeks later...
This isn't really a tutorial or a request...Pretty sweet anyway.

Peace out

How is it not a tutorial? He showed pictures of the new arm, and gave fairly detailed instructions as to how he fabricated it, including:

- what parts he used

- where most cuts were made, and

-how it was assembled.

Granted, there were not any shots of the conversion in the intermediate stages, but the good pics of the 'hidden' side of the arm, where the seams are visible, combined with his directions would make it easy for someone else to replicate his work. Having said that, I do agree with you that it is a sweet conversion. Depending on how all the mysterious ins and outs of the new 5th ed rules shake out, I could see myself making a TLAC arm for my Deathwing dread, and having seen these great results, this is how I'd go about doing it.

Thanks for posting this tutorial Gurth!

It seems to me, that left arms aren't possible with this tutorial because of how the autocannons are build :(

If you use the autocannons off of the landspeeder, in particular the ravenwing land speeder (it has a set of double autocannons in it) it would be possible to do a left arm. You would have to do some modeling to attach them to a dreadnaught but it should be possible.

It seems to me, that left arms aren't possible with this tutorial because of how the autocannons are build :)

If you use the autocannons off of the landspeeder, in particular the ravenwing land speeder (it has a set of double autocannons in it) it would be possible to do a left arm. You would have to do some modeling to attach them to a dreadnaught but it should be possible.

That's *assault* cannons on the land speeders, not autocannons.

If you use the autocannons off of the landspeeder

Ashas alreayd been said, unfortunately, those are assault cannon rather than autocannon … Now, nothing would really stop you from making a left arm with an assault cannon, but there are no rules for dreadnoughts with twin assault cannon AFAIK, so you probably wouldn't get too much use out of it :)

Why is the smoke launcher array placed where it is?

Because it … erm … it gives a good field of fire — yes, that's it! :P (Really it's because it fits rather nicely with the army's theme. You may want to take a closer look at the extra armour on the dreadnought as well, for example …)

what chapter is it???

Young Men's Imperial Ass'n.

and what are you doing with the sarcophagus (coffin thingy) cos its got a big hole it??

The idea there was that you could see the near-dead space marine inside. Unfortunately it looks more like there's simply a pilot in the dreadnought :(

i like the extra armour athough it does look a bit orky

The armour panels are explosive reactive armour (ERA) tiles from an old Gunze-Sangyo "High-Tech" M60A1+ model kit. I didn't use them there because the detail was poor for a 1/35th scale model, but they fit the dreadnought well enough. It also means I still have enough to up-armour about a chapter's worth of dreadnoughts ;)

i would do something to the hole in the coffin, its looks just too much like a, well...

*scatches his head*

...well, a hole in a coffin

personally i would patch that updunno what with maybe convert your own coffin plate from a normal one so its themed to the army

personally i would patch that updunno what with maybe convert your own coffin plate from a normal one so its themed to the army

And that means I'd have wasted the effort I spent painting the figure inside like he's dead and ghost-like :)

• 2 weeks later...
looking at the pics i knew the extra armour was from an M60A1 kit. i used the same ablative armour plates on a Predator conversion i did. but my kit was by tamiya. they make really good 1/35th kits.

Archived