Modelling: Land Raider, any pattern, with dozer blade

I tried searchy, but came up with nothing beyond how to make all the doors open. So here's my question: How do you put a dozer blade on a land raider without blocking the assault ramp?

That was my original question. There were a few methods out there that people had used, but they looked like they would be quite a bit of work to put together. I wanted something that looked like it was rough, tough and ready to roll, but I didn't want to have to sculpt the thing from scratch. I managed to figure something out with the help of the good denizens of the B & C.

Here is how I added a Dozer Blade to my Land Raider Crusader:

Parts:

-4 las-cannons from the land raider sponson sprue

-2 las-cannon housings from the land raider sponson sprue

-2 swivels (the part that the las-cannons mount onto) from the land raider sponson sprue

-1 dozer blade from the imperial guard vehicle accessory sprue

Step 1:

-Assemble the 4 las-cannons only

Step 2:

-Cut off the end of 2 of the las-cannons off so that you have 2 barrels (Part #1)

-Trim the swivel down until you have the piece in the middle that the las-cannons fit into (Part #2). While cutting down the swivel be sure to save the part that makes up part #8 in the 2nd picture

-Trim down the front and the bottom of the body of the las-cannon (Part #3a & 3b) be sure to save at least 4 of the ridged portions of the barrel (part #9)

Step 3:

-Pin & glue part #1 to the longer end of part #2. The 2nd picture shows the las-cannon barrel being pinned in place to the swivel.

-Attach part # 3a & 3b to either side of part #2 without glueing them.

-Glue part # 3a & 3b into part #4

-The finished sub assembly should look like #5. The las-cannon barrel (#1) should be able to swivel freely up & down.

Step 4:

Trim the back of the dozer blade as shown in #6

If you are making a Land Raider Crusader you will need to trim the frag assault launchers as shown. This removes 2 of the 6 launchers. This is necessary as there is insufficient room for the launchers and the dozer blade assembly

gallery_23065_1925_82305.jpg

Step 5:

Trim half of the tip of each las-cannon barrel to match the depth of the structure from part #6

gallery_23065_1925_203169.jpg

Step 6:

Glue half of the ridged portion of the barrel (#9) to the back of the las-cannon body.

gallery_23065_1925_177045.jpg

Step 7:

Glue the sub assembly (part #5) to the dozer blade (part # 6).

Glue the piston saved from the swivel (part # 8) to the dozer blade and the las-cannon barrel as shown.

gallery_23065_1925_105954.jpg

Step 8:

Glue the dozer blade sub assembly to the land raider. This step requires that you have the tracks already glued in place. The bottom of the las-cannon bodies will glue directly to the tracks.

gallery_23065_1925_10693.jpg

Originally I had planned to glue the sides of the housing to the panels on either side of the tracks, but I ran out of room. Thankfully it is not that noticeable, and the tracks don’t have to actually turn.

Here are some pictures of it in a more finished state:

gallery_23065_1925_36305.jpg

gallery_23065_1925_37158.jpg

gallery_23065_1925_14156.jpg

At first it seemed a little too bulky. I've since gotten used to it. It seems to me that space marine equipment should be a little bulky, after all it is getting used by 7 1/2 foot tall superhumans. It had better be sturdy.

Thanks very much to Onisuzume & Brother Bohemund for the research.

Happy Hunting,

SWLars

How about this as an example?

Courtesty to Brother_Bish for making the model.

And a picture with the underside.

Though with this example I don't think you can really use the assault ramp.

This one would be a lot better for that.

Though I don't know of any WIP pictures of the parts used.

Actually that Dark Angle one is pretty close to what I was thinking of. It looks like they have the forgeworld parts for the pre-heresy land raider. The dozer blade looks almost like they scratch built it. Just looking at it I think there might be something that can be done with the las-cannons as struts and the dozer blade from the IG accessory sprue. OK now I'm gonna have to drag it out and fiddle with it.

I had seen the one with the demolisher cannon. From what I understand it is for apocalypse and has no transport capacity, so the assault ramp is a moot point. I thought about trying something like that but I couldn't work out how to use the assault ramp and get it out of the way.

BTW the shrine on the inside of th DA LR is sweet!!

SWLars

P.S. Thanks for the pics Onisuzume, they helped quite a bit.

I was going to suggest little V-blades in front of the tracks as well, or if you wanted the large Vindicator style blade, I always thought it would be cool to mount it to the top hatch on the assault ramp area, so it would raise up when the doors opened.

Only problem with the V blades infront of the tracks only is what do you do with the debris that is between them....as they are there something might still stop the landraider by being in the middle....thats why you have to have the blades covering the entire front and being angled so they puch the crap away to the sides....not push it into the middle of the tank :P

Well, after much hackin' n' slashin' I managed to figure out something involving the twin-linked las-cannon sponsons. The good thing is that it covers 90% of the front of the vehicle, raises up high enough to be believable that someone could use the assault ramp, and it was a relatively easy conversion.

The only problem is that I had to cut one row off the top of the frag launchers to move them out of the way. And it looks a little like the frag launchers would be somewhat blocked off by the Dozer Blade.

I'll put up some pics tonight (hopefully). I would have put them up last night, but as I was testing it one of the struts broke at the glue point, so I have to pin it. probably should have done that in the first place. Oh well.

Happy Hunting,

SWLars

quite nice. I'm not completely sold on it but it has some really nice ideas in it. I really like the use of the las-cannon and how the whole thing swings up but I feel that the use of the sponson "body" makes the tank a bit front heavy (imho they are to high). But it is difficult to tell from the pictures. I'm also not sure about mounting the dozer blade upside down, simply looks wrong to me.

Overall a cool idea :tu:

@ Brother Bohemund, the pictures make it look a bit bigger than it is. That aside though, you're right it does end up looking kind of big and chunky. I'm sure that if you wanted to you could trim away some of the top of the las-cannons and the bottom of the housing to get a similar effect without it looking so big. Hmmmm, after I get it painted If it looks too big I may end up popping it apart and doing just that. Thanks for the input.

once I get it painted and assembled I'll put some more pictures up.

Speaking of, I'm gonna go try to slop some paint on it now.

SWLars

Way to pick a base color for your army! just using the plastic color never even occurred to me.

Yuk yuk yuk, very funny. Actually, if the plastic was a uniform color, I probably would.

Foe Plow. Ya know, I kind of like that.

I hereby christin thee FOE PLOW.

Thanks,

SWLars

• 4 weeks later...

Archived