CSM: Nephilim - ***Updated 05.10.09***

CuRoi

Well... I suppose I am finally going to risk my pride and get some input.

The sum of my painting experience until two years ago was military dioramas and the like, so my style tends to be a bit grittier and less extreme highlighting, etc. Unfortunately in my experience, that doesn't always translate well to the tabletop because it has been difficult for me to make the model 'pop' unless I use bright colors.

These CSM Nephilim are my attempt at workable subtlety while retaining some visual 'oomph' and realism. Honestly, I've been staring at it so long I can't appraise it objectively any more. So I am turning to you folks here.

They are not complete by a long shot. But before I went any further, I wanted to get some impressions.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4651/dscn1723oe1.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5918/dscn1724ne0.jpg

Your input would be greatly appreciated. If you showed up for a game against these, would your first impression be “Hey! That's sorta' neat!” or “Man... he can't even be bothered to do more than prime his figures black.”

I like it. It's a nice effect. Seems more like what a marine, or chaos marine, should look like. They are going to war constantly after all and some of the rainbow hued chapters out there irk me. Anyways the only thing I'd recommend is maybe some sharper highlights in select places. Some mithril silver or chainmail on the edges of the shoulder and chest piece and maybe a few touches of 'dex gray on the blacks to bring out a bit more detail. I can see you've already done some highlighting and it looks great, I'd just go over small areas of the highlights with a lighter mix of whatever you did those in.

Looks good to me, I really like the subtler styles and I don't think it'd be mistaken for a primed model.

That said, it does sort of look....unfinished. (If thats the word I want) I would really consider picking out more of the details on the piece (especially the eyes) in a different colour scheme. I'm not saying you have to introduce vibrant colours, you could use an equally dull 'n dark blue, brown or red, but I feel that items that aren't part of the armour (such as the pouches) should look different from the armour. Also the skull on the front. I'm not too fond of skulls on marines myself, but if you're leaving it on your model it serves no purpose other than to be seen, so having it blend into the carapace strikes me as odd.

Tsuro

I really like this toned down scheme - it seems to me it's been executed incredibly well, and I get the feeling that it probably took an awfully long time to do.

Saying that however, part of me wonders what it looks like from a tabletop range.

Up close and personal, it looks excellent.

But I get the feeling that if you were to look at them from 4 feet away, you'd lose all the subtle colour changes and even subtler highlights, and then yeah - you might be faced with the problem of “Man... he can't even be bothered to do more than prime his figures black.”

Other than to say, if it were me, I'd keep going like you are, that's my 2 cents.

Look forward to seeing more of them.

Cheers

Widowmaker

Many thanks for the words of encouragement. It is definately a "work in progress".

Argyle? You've just been added to my Xmas card list! The Mithril Silver suggestion was spot on. I had been using Boltgun metal to highlight, and it was blending too much. With just a brief few moments of shakey-handedness, I achieved the following result:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6683/dscn1735au5.jpg

A marked improvement, even if my crappy camera skills don't reflect it.

Windowmaker; I too am a bit concerned about the four foot visibility as well. But, as you suggested, I think I will continue to run with this as I am pleased with the continued results. If queried, I'll hold it up to them at nose length.

Again, appreciate the encouragement. I'll update once I've, well... updated.

Ain't the name "Nephilim" already taken by a type of cherubs that are high-end quality?

Sorry... you lost me?

I chose the name Nephilim from the Book of Enoch. Dependant on interpretation they were either fallen angels (the "Watchers") or the offspring product of fallen angels and human women who were giants among men, terrorizing and devouring ancient mankind.

Did I miss a bit of fluff where there is already a chapter named such? If you are referencing a servitor/familiar-type with that same name, well.. I can live with that.

Nicely done. It did make a noticable improvement on what I already thought was a job well done. Love to see more and maybe some fluff if their is any. Can't go encouraging you to much though, you being another target in my Templars Holy Crusade and all now =P. Lol jk, keep it up.

Chalk me up as a fan of this style. Very clever and unique.

A few comments:

1. The eyes need something. Even if you wanted to leave the glass dark, they need that little curved flash of light that outlines the lens.

2. The skull needs some of the brass color on it, it's there, you can't hide it, so help it stand out

3. I'm not sold on the silver grenades. It seems like they ought to be some sort of utilitarian color, like a dark green

4. Have you picked a chapter symbol yet? If so, what does it look like?

I think one of the things that will help these guys stand out on the table is how you base them. My first thought was an urban scheme, but given the potential for blending in with those drab colors, you might consider an organic (woodlands), maybe with snow on the base, to help them pop out.

Anyway, excellent work and please, do continue!

I'll run with things that have already been said:

-Eyes need something, I could see a dark blue or green working. Possibly red, but it might stand out a bit much.

-Ornamentation needs to pop. I say Brazen Brass highlighted with a mix of Shining Gold and Mithril Silver.

-Grenades blend in too much. I say a green with red accents.

-For basing, red soil, like Mars perhaps.

-Chapter Symbol would probably need color... hazards stripes possibly, or something close. Maybe an orange biohazard sign...

Eyes: agreed on all counts. Just haven't gotten there yet.

Grenades: again, agreed. The silver-ish just isnt working. Not sure green, however accurate, is the way to go though.

Base: still up in the air, but great suggestions.

Brass Highlights: this one I have to consider and test.

Symbol: Heh. To be perfectly honest, I have been so focused on background, drugs and paint scheme... I haven't thought of it until just now.

Seriously guys, thanks a million for the supportive comments. I'm my own worst critic, and perpetually convinced my stuff "just isn't quite good enough". Nice to know I am on the right track.

i love the concept and the direction you're going. I wanted to do my new DA's with subtle highlights and contrasts, and although it looks great in pictures and close ups it does get quickly lossed on the game table. The models become very muted at distance and against all the detail of the game table. So its kinda of a toss up of whatever is important to you. Great closeups, or great on the table from distance, or a balance of both.

Great model thus far, bro. :)

Ain't the name "Nephilim" already taken by a type of cherubs that are high-end quality?

Sorry... you lost me?

I chose the name Nephilim from the Book of Enoch. Dependant on interpretation they were either fallen angels (the "Watchers") or the offspring product of fallen angels and human women who were giants among men, terrorizing and devouring ancient mankind.

Did I miss a bit of fluff where there is already a chapter named such? If you are referencing a servitor/familiar-type with that same name, well.. I can live with that.

Servitor/Familiar-type, though far more advanced then most servitors.

See the PDF here.

Wow, add me on as a fan. If there was a 40k movie, this is kinda how I'd expect the marines to look. Very nice.

Looks like a massive amount of work though, compared to how most people just drybrush and blackline...

Servitor/Familiar-type, though far more advanced then most servitors.

See the PDF here.

Ah, ok. Thank you for the link and info.

Not enough to sway me from using the moniker, but a good read nonetheless.

Really nice paintjob. And if nephilim roughly translated from high gothic is "half-breed", that works great for a Chaos force, which could combine in equal measures the best aspects of the Adeptus Astartes and the powers of the Chaos Gods. Or so a heretic would believe...

Minor update:

Haven't had a great deal of time to focus on the Marines, but one of my concerns regarding this paint 'scheme' was how well it would translate to vehicles. Turns out, same method used selectively looks rather good. The Mithril Silver highlight suggestion remains spot on.

Same issue as always; its a multi-coat, drawn out process. This extra armour on the Predator below is only about halfway there.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6356/dscn1778on7.jpg

A more lengthy update coming soon. And I noted someone asked for a 'tutorial'. If there is real interest, I'll see what I can do.

• 1 year later...

Archived