Pre-Heresy Luna Wolves

vampyrerodent

Here are some Luna Wolves I painted up for a local Pre-Heresy painting contest.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z194/vampyrerodent/General%20Minis/IMG_1338_edited.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z194/vampyrerodent/General%20Minis/IMG_1339_edited.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z194/vampyrerodent/General%20Minis/IMG_1341_edited.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z194/vampyrerodent/General%20Minis/IMG_1342_edited.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z194/vampyrerodent/General%20Minis/IMG_1343_edited.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z194/vampyrerodent/General%20Minis/IMG_1345_edited.jpg

I used the decals from Bell of Lost Souls.

V

First off, I think they are cool. A little too white, but cool. I tottally dig the decals, did you send them to be printed somewhere? How did you get it on decal paper? I think you should have been a little more consistent on the squad marking (II) on the shoulderpads. Unless you want to get hyper technical, the studded shoulderpads were on the left shoulder, but that is a stupid semantics thing. As far as the paint job I think they look great! Especially on the faces. The shading looks good, it does take a little talent to shade white sometimes. All in all nice models.

-V

The painting jobs are pretty nice, and I like the marine standing with one foot on the rock. I am guessing you converted one of the Berzerker models for that conversion? I hope you keep us updated on the growth of this army.

Regarding the one standing on the rock, the bent leg is from the kneeling space marine with a straight leg from another pair of legs, pinned together, and then greenstuff to fill in the space.

I do not plan on creating more Luna Wolves unfortunately. These guys were a one off.

Very Nice. What did you use for studs cos what i use dont look as good....

Cry Wolf

The studs were created by cutting small slices from a plastic rod. I think it was .04" (1 mm) in diameter. I cut about 80 or so and chose the ones that were best. Have to use a sharp blade for them.

First off, I think they are cool. A little too white, but cool. I tottally dig the decals, did you send them to be printed somewhere? How did you get it on decal paper? I think you should have been a little more consistent on the squad marking (II) on the shoulderpads. Unless you want to get hyper technical, the studded shoulderpads were on the left shoulder, but that is a stupid semantics thing. As far as the paint job I think they look great! Especially on the faces. The shading looks good, it does take a little talent to shade white sometimes. All in all nice models.

-V

I didn't want to use ghostly grey and was trying to avoid the Space Wolf greys as then they would look like Space Wolves. I used the cover of the 2nd book, False Gods, and the 4th Index Astartes book as a guide. I chose to make each one a little different in order to break them up a little. The hard part was making the skulls and the wolf on the sgt stand out whiter than the armor. Yes I could have made them darker, but it is so much harder to get lighter from there, so I quit while I was ahead. That was why I added some extra cuts and scratches to them, although that also makes the white stand out more too.

As for the decals, I used decal paper on a laser printer set on photo paper setting, then sprayed them with a gloss coat, let them dry for a day and placed them on as regular decals. I did use a white decal paper so I had to cut very close to the design. I also went back and touched them up a bit to get rid of some of the undercuts.

V

I don't want to be a detail Nazi, but the helmets you used arn't pre-heresy....

aside from that: 100%, they look awsome!

No they aren't but I had two weeks to get them done, and I didn't have time to order the Red Scorpion helmets, so I went with what I had. Although looking back at some data here on the forum and in the Index Astartes, there were some helmets of that style around. They were in a minority though. Still, I would have used the the older helmets if I had more time.

Thanks for the comment, I put them up here to try to help beef up the Pre-Heresy posts and to give people ideas.

V

Regarding the decals, which look fantastic by the way, do you have to use a laser printer or can you just stick decal paper into your average inkjet?

No, you don't have to use a laser printer. Just make sure you get decal paper for ink jet though. They are different. The main thing you want to be conscious of is, do you want clear decal paper or one with a white background. The differences being that, first, printers cannot print white. So any white that you may need you will have to either paint it on or cut it out very closely from the sheet. The second thing is that if you are putting decals onto a dark background like for a black templar then there is a good chance the colors may not show very well, if at all. I recommend printing onto white decal paper so the colors really stand out, but like I said, you have to trim it very well in order to keep it looking good. Here is a link to an article on Bell of Lost Souls that will help also.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/0...cal-sheets.html

Now if you do use their pdfs to make decals, remember that there are only so many on a sheet for a regular space marine shoulder pads. If you can, you may want to cut and paste more of the small ones so you don't have to print out so many sheets and waste all that ink and decal paper.

V

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
did you use space wolf bodys cus if you did, i can use them for my, luna wolves cus my brother collects space wolves

Some of those bits are SW bits, but looks like they were cherry picked. thats IMO.

Some of those bits are SW bits, but looks like they were cherry picked. thats IMO.

They certainly were. I wanted to make each one individual to a degree. You can see the SW bolter, backpack, chestplate, head, and a chainsword amongst the squad. The rest are basic space marine and/or chaos bits.

V

Beautifully done, I take it you started on these before FW decided to release the Mk. II kit, I applaud you nonetheless, I also took note that you did the black with red detailing, I'm not sure exactly what the red is supposed to be on the luna wolves trim, but it looks good mate.

I too am planning a foray into a pre-heresy army, though I'm not absolutely sure if I'll be doing a WB force.

These models are beautiful, but I feel the Sergeant doesn't capture the true essence of the Luna Wolves... we're not barbaric Space Wolves, we're better, more disciplined.

And also, I was hoping to open this and see the new Mk. II armored models painted in our Legion's glorious colors... and btw, for those of you who said that the white was too bright... get your eyes checked, the Luna Wolves wear pristine white armor.

Regards,

Horus Lupercal

• 5 months later...

Hey I am starting an army of luna wolves and I love the colour that yours are painted can you give me a step by step process of how you painted them and made them cause they're amazing!!!! Also how did you make the shoulder guard symbol? Sorry for any problems

Sincerely the Warmaster Horus Lupercal

• 1 month later...
Hey I am starting an army of luna wolves and I love the colour that yours are painted can you give me a step by step process of how you painted them and made them cause they're amazing!!!! Also how did you make the shoulder guard symbol? Sorry for any problems

Sincerely the Warmaster Horus Lupercal

I have gotten several requests on how I painted these guys. I will post a link to my new blog that mentions how I painted them up. As for the shoulder pad symbology, I used decals created from Bell of Lost Souls. It wasn't that difficult, just needed to find the correct paper, and have patience when it comes to decals.

Thanks for all the comments and critiques

V

Colorblind Painter

Very nice! Good use of bitz: they're just wolfy enough....

I really dig the white you used for them. And I'm with Doghouse on the helmets: those are obviously an advanced form of battle helm that the Legion had access to. They're the Luna Wolves, the most celebrated of the Legiones Astartes! If anyone could get the latest stuff, fresh from the Martian forges, it would be these guys.

Archived