Painting: Blood N' Gore Lonewolf Style (Blood Tutorial)

L0NEW0LF

yes finally got off my backside and did it :D

so without further ado.......

what you'll need

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/1toolsofthetrade.jpg

here's my beloved Tamiya Clear Red (TCR) and my 2 stipple brushes

1 large for vehicles one small for std fig, they are basically old brushes with the bristles cut down shorter :D

stippling is basically "stabbing" the bristles at the area.

i quickly knocked up a chain axe to show what it looks like on a mini and the white plasticard so you can see the effect clearly ;)

STAGE 1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/2stage1.jpg

first off take some TCR straight out of the pot and stipple it over the area quite thickly (the next stage will take some off)

STAGE 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/3stage2.jpg

TCR has a thicker consistancy to normal paint and doe's start to congeal (like real blood) quite quickly.

once you have done stage 1 wait about 30-40 seconds for the TCR to start to get tacky then go over it agin with you stipple brush to give it some texture.

give the blood 5 mins to dry off or you'll just take most of the red off :?

STAGE 3

first up we need to mix some darker "blood" up to give it some realism (it's a bit bright at the min)

here's sort of the ratio you'll need

I use a little GW Black ink to darken it (rather thean black paint that can dull down the glossy wetness of it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/4redtoblackmix.jpg

You'll have to experiment untill you get this colour, you want a nice dark red gore colour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/5darkmix.jpg

Then it's just a case of repeating stages 1 and 2 with the darker colour

just be sure not to totally cover all the lighter red up :wink:

Here's the Dark red 1st application.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/6stage3.jpg

STAGE 4

Here's the end result with the dark red re-stippled for texture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lonewolf_dcc/7stage4.jpg

Well there you go really simple and i think VERY effective.

Now your warriors of Khorne can really show they mean business :twisted:

Enjoy!

Ian

well Tamiya clears are listed as acrylics but i wouldnt use any new brushes with them unless your cleaning with thinners.

saying that it cleans off with water with my stipple brushes.

as for it being caustic to other paints, i've never had a problem unless the area i'm going over is still wet/drying or the undercoat has been crap causing the stippling to rub it off

and these are really exceptional circumstances

i use this stuff ALOT and i dont have any trouble with it

ooh just thought, for any nurgle players i'd really recomend getting Tamiya clear yellow + green and doing the same thing for some amazing goo :lol:

also the tamiya smoke is good for oil stains

oh my god, just tried this tutorial and am gobsmacked at the results...i am so glad i decided to do this - THANK YOU LONEWOLF!!

i also tried adding super-tiny chuncks of really tiny rocks, and it looks great with your tutorial, becuase of the stipple : it looks like lil bits o' gore!

an amazing tut, 11/10 from me - i cant thank you enough sir :)

<<Damascus>>

• 1 month later...
ooh just thought, for any nurgle players i'd really recomend getting Tamiya clear yellow + green and doing the same thing for some amazing goo ^_^

As in a mix of the two colours, one or the other, or some green and some yellow in different places?

well i'd reccomend either really but mixed with a some brown ink to tone the shade down :rolleyes:

evne mix the 2 with a bit of brown ink aswell.

experimentation is the gateway to discovery

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen your work before and I hunted down Tamiya Red Clear as well as their Green and Yellow and I plan on using your technique some on the Diseased Sons. I bookmarked this tutorial, maybe Nihm can use it in his mega thread. Bug him about inclusion.

I'm going to start on my second tutorial for him maybe in two weeks. No plans to giver the Gore. But when I do bust out this technique and some other crazy things they'll appear on nurgle.muschamp.ca or the B&C WIP thread I started. I got lots of ideas and plans but I am a slow converter and painter...

Cheers,

When I do my bezerkers I'll be sure and let you know. ;-)

Fantastic blood, it's totally gross.

If there is someone who wants an alternative that can look really gross too, or maybe just to review for hints, GW actually has something on their website under the Ogre Kingdoms. The link is here.

While I think Lonewolf's painting is much better, there is some usefulness in reviewing the OK versions. Gor example, their recommendation to use a mix of static grass as well as small bits of stone makes for a really prime texture. Combined with Lonewolf's method, you'll have totally awesome gore. Plus, well, Ogres. Good place for gore inspiration... that one butcher with a mask made from chunks of tattooed human flesh was fairly inspiring.

But yeah, karma for Lonewolf, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to try your technique. I've always thought to myself, "Good lord, this model is wielding a chainsaw, shouldn't s/he be totally covered in blood, gristle and guts?" I think it'd be especially... poignant? is that the word? for your Sisters Repentia, for example, to be all clad in white and holy-looking (assuming you paint them with clothes on) - with totally revulsive amounts of O+ sprayed and gooped on them.

• 2 weeks later...
If there is someone who wants an alternative that can look really gross too, or maybe just to review for hints, GW actually has something on their website under the Ogre Kingdoms. The link is here.

I think the first technique looks like someone's just crapped blood all over the gutplate, the second is better but I don't get why the gore would be coming from the bottom right of the plate only, the third is by far the best of the four and actually looks like gore splatter (though TCR is always going to work better for blood than Blood Red paint) and the fourth one is by far the worst: It looks like someone has just painted a load of dirt bright red and stuck it on the gutplate. Oh wait, they have! I guess the sand sort of gives the effect of coagulation but the static grass just makes it look like dirt and the colour is just wrong. Yes, blood is reasonably bright when it comes out but nowhere near that bright and it darkens with coagulation anyway so it should be almost brown in colour. :D

TCR for the win!

Archived