Pre-Heresy Project

Iacton

Hi all, 1st real intro here. I have hung around here a bit but I have never been active. I think that 1 or 2 here may well know me on a couple of other boards, but i thought that I would post a few pics here and get a few pointers and opinions from you guys too.

Anyway, the general aim of what I am doing is largely pre-heresy style legions with the odd current style one as a break. I tend to use the old Rogue Trader models as well as the occasional current sculpt.

Also I would be obliged if someone would tell me if submissions of non-GW sculpts of things such as custodes or primarchs is frowned upon here - I don't want to get off on the wrong foot B)

I only use GW paints, quite enjoying still getting to grips with the foundation paints and I'm always trying to add new techniques to my locker.

OK, without further ado, here's what I've been up to over the last year. You can probably tell that I have been improving my technique a bit.

gallery_34128_2089_43546.jpg

gallery_34128_2089_53177.jpg

My most recent model - A Blood Angel with 2 head options - My 1st serious attempt at steel NMM

gallery_34128_2089_41143.jpg

A Pre-Heresy style Word Bearer

gallery_34128_2089_29030.jpg

Pre-Heresy Emperor's Children Banner Bearer for a comp on another site

gallery_34128_2089_44878.jpg

Ultramarine - 1st attempt at Gold NMM

gallery_34128_2089_52821.jpg

Pre-Heresy Death Guard

gallery_34128_2089_11730.jpg

RT Style Silver Skull

gallery_34128_2089_17673.jpg

RT Style Iron Hand Vet. Sgt.

gallery_34128_2089_18113.jpg

Pre-Heresy Luna Wolf in Mk3 Armour

Currently working on a PH style Raven Guard "Champion" too, which I'll add when finished.

All C&C is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Iacton

Hi Hasaroth,

Sexy! :D

As for the helm, it was the Mk7 helm with the thick squarish cables at the bottom. I removed them and the grill and filed back until I could get the faceplate on - with GS. Then shaped it to resemble the Ultramarines and Blood Angels shown in the Visions art books. Its a stylised Crusader faceplate I guess. Here's a couple of WIP pics if thats of any use

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Banner%20comp/P2070005.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Banner%20comp/P2050001.jpg

Wow...I simply cannot choose a favourite. They all look great and I love the usage of the old models. They fit in much better than I would have expected - Makes me want to go out and buy up all the old style models. :lol:

Great work!

As for issues about posting certain things try pming one of the PCA mods. They should get back to you and help with any questions you have.

Thanks ironloki,

I'm not too worried, I'll lurk a bit and see :P . Unless a mod stumbles across the thread.

As for the old figures. I have a box full of the old RT marines (just about the full set) so I just pick one out, think what Legion/Chapter he best represents and off I go. Not being a gamer any more means I get to make full use of my paints whenever I like :lol:

Thanks also T

Hey Iacton,

Welcome to the B&C it's not a bad place lol. Nice to see your stuff up again love the rtb stuff! I've got 3 rhinos, a razorback and 35 marines from Rogue trader awaiting a paint job but i just can't think of a Legion for them!

Keep up the great work!!

Hey Iacton,

Thanks for the reply on my pup :D.

Your work looks fantastic, if I had to pick any 1-2 as a favourite it would be either the Emperor's Child (do they even have a plural?!) or the Luna Wolf. But all of them have fantastic work on them.

As for the foundation paints, I was used to using the standard citadel paints, but nowadays, the foundation save so much time. Although the majority of the colours are somewhat dull, so they are best only for the very base coat.

Iacton, I remember making a comment on coolmini on the blood angel. I think he is bad ass. Also really like the Emperor's Children dood. I almost wish you would make an army of the blood angels just so I could see it =p.

As I have just finished the first novel in the Horus Heresy series, this post is even more awesome to me than ever.

I have been eyeing off a lot of the rogue trader era mini's for sometime, pondering if I would paint them just for fun or if some of them can handle the scrutiny of being placed into an army with newer models. I think you have proven some of these are more than up to the task.

The Blood Angel & Lunar Wolf are awesome. I'm also very impressed by the Ultramarine, very nice paint job on him.

Now, which pre-heresy army to do...

Usi :P

Luprical!!! :D

Just finished this Pre-Heresy Styled Raven Guard Company Champion or Sergeant - Can't make my mind up.

Tried to get the sort of sheen that Raven and Crow feathers have, a sort of green/blue reflectiveness to the black. Freehand Legion icons etc. Backpack is the old Marneus Calgar metal pack with the pole removed.

All done with GW paints and still practising my NMM attempts

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Raven%20Guard/Raven.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Raven%20Guard/Clipboard08.jpg

C&C please http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Smilies/pray.gif

Oooo...two power swords... :P

Idea stolen. :P

There are some damn nice minis my friend, I wish I had your green stuffing skills. >_>

Eight ;)

loveley work, although i cant say i like RT era models... But good paintjob going. May i ask as to how you managed to make the BA have 2 head options? Magnets or pinning? or some other way?

Yes it's just pins. I like to not fix the head or the back pack until as late as possible, and in this case is was doing a painting skin tutorial over at The Great Crusade - (Skin Tutorial Linky) - at the same time as I was finishing off the Blood Angel which already had a Mk6 to Mk4 helmet conversion for it's head.

So I thought why not photograph it with both for posting on CMoN to see which scores higher. My theory is that skin scores higher than armour and I was proved to be correct too! ;)

Idea stolen.

Steal away 8! One arm (his right) is from the old metal devastator sergeant with the pointy hand removed, the other is a metal power sword arm from the Blood Angel command squad, if I remember rightly.

Thanks guys, and hi to all http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Smilies/wavey.gif

Not a new model, but a less washed out look at how the colour shifts finished up on the armour for the Raven.

Cheers.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Raven%20Guard/Single.jpg

Archived