Pre-Heresy Project

Iacton

Again, another fantastic primarch model. I love the detail in the face most of all. It really looks like a sculpt GW would do if they ever released the primarch models. It will never happen, but you get what I am saying. :huh:

Have another primarch in mind for the next one? Or are you just going to do paint schemes?

Alpha

Thanks Alpha,

He was done a little while back, but I shall be doing Russ as my next Primarch project.

However, he isn't what i have been on that recently, in fact I have just finished the Night Lord that I had been working on, and I really enjoyed doing this model I might add.

The combination of a bit of Sahaal from "Lord of the Night" inspired also by Kombat Unit's artwork too, a bit of GS-fu, a burning desire to use Horus' Talon on something else, and a promise to myself that I would get round to trying out the colour schemes for every pre-heresy legion, produced my latest offering.

This colour scheme was by far the most challenging, and I wanted to get away from the whole "Night Lords are vampires" type thing, whilst still making this guy a cool calculating killer who would eff and jeff up anyone who wants to have a try!

I think that I just about pulled it off and I hope that you like him too. I plan to take him to the local GW - Colchester - for the national painting competition and see how he is received, and you never know, maybe I'll take him to GD in september too.

He has no name, but feel free to name him for me ;)

But for now please enjoy

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/FinishedLord.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/DetailFinish.jpg

Next is a Castigator for the DIY swap, for a little break from the Pre-Heresy - although I'm already working on a potential PH White Scar (I think anyway).

I hope that you keep your eyes peeled :lol:

Really Cool... Love the lightning work.

I can't actually think of any suggestions... How unlike me...

You're a Colchester Boy?? Same here, I'm just down in Southampton for Uni. Will be back

after my exams (which finish tomorrow btw, argh) Hope to maybe see some of these

in the flesh...

Laterz

This is a repost of the Night Lord in much better lighting. I hope that you find him a bit easier on the eye now :(

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/Finish2.jpg

Well I got back to Col. today, so just maybe you'll catch me there on Sat.

Cheers for the Good Luck sentiment, I've been getting it a lot, and just maybe

it all paid off as I passed all my exams (yay) and am now a fully qualified

Doctor of Medicine... How cool is that!!

I may bring in a couple of my models for the National Painting Competition as

well, will need to dust 'em off... We'll see...

Oh and "on topic" the night lord looks even better under "better" lighting, very cool!

Laterz...

I remember the nightlord with jumppack from your other post of him, and I have to say that he came together quite nice!

I think the determined and evil 'serial killer' head came off well, and the paint scheme is right on....the helmet at his belt is a nice realistic touch, and the paint job on the helmet alone is awesome! Great work!!!

@Dam13n Congrats mate. If I see you tomorrow you can write me a prescription for my gammy knee! :D

@GumbaFish Thanks a lot. I get bored repeating schemes. I did Blood Angels for a long time, and whilst I love them, I love using every pot of paint in my drawer more. It allows me to really immerse myself now into each model.

@Capt. Kenaz Again thanks for your kind words, and for tracking him in the WIP section. It can move so fast at times that you worry that no-one spots the work.

@Pirate King Atomsk Cheers. If only TOP did a left handed Talon of Horus.....

@Darth Potato Thanks once again. It was the lightning that made a plain old dark blue marine into something eye-catching, and I'm well pleased with the result too ;)

@Angels_Blade :P :P I'll paint one wrong handed just for you mate! How's my sarcophagus coming along? :P

@Angels_Blade :P :P I'll paint one wrong handed just for you mate! How's my sarcophagus coming along? ;)

Hey don't knocked the wrong handed approach. When I lost the use of my right arm I started painting mini's as a way to learn how to do fine motor control of my left hand. I've now shifted back to right handed to relearn fine motor control of my right hand. Don't want to high jack your thread but here's my second figure I did.

It is a great exercise to try and get your brain to switch gears (kinda like throwing a ball wrong) I would love to see a "wrong handed" figure of yours. I bet you wouldn't need very long to switch gears ;)

@Angels_Blade :P :P I'll paint one wrong handed just for you mate! How's my sarcophagus coming along? ;)

Hey don't knocked the wrong handed approach. When I lost the use of my right arm I started painting mini's as a way to learn how to do fine motor control of my left hand. I've now shifted back to right handed to relearn fine motor control of my right hand. Don't want to high jack your thread but here's my second figure I did.

It is a great exercise to try and get your brain to switch gears (kinda like throwing a ball wrong) I would love to see a "wrong handed" figure of yours. I bet you wouldn't need very long to switch gears ;)

Hi Merkava. No offence meant, Ben and I like a bit of banter. However, the genuine point that you have raised is a less uncommon thing as I get to meet and speak to forum members here and at the Great Crusade. One guy uses the "therapeutic" value of the hobby to cope with benign essential tremor, for instance. Your "southpaw" work looks great, and it sounds like you have the determination to get the right arm working almost good as new too. I'm a cack handed southpaw anyway, so I'm always painting "wrong" handed :P

@ KYR GKIKAS Thanks a lot. I shall keep trying to improve. :P

I love the look of your Night Lord. Can you give a recipe for the armour? I'm struggling to find a right balance between the dark blue and highlights on my possessed at the moment as they either look too dark or too bright.

The pose is great, and your lightning is exquisite. I also like the skull helmet and tones for the head. You've given me a standard of painting to espire to.

Thanks Jetfire! Glad I have inspired you :) .

The model was initially painted necron abyss over black, and then highlighted by adding in some enchanted blue to highlight, but I felt it was too BLUE, so I rethought it a bit and mixed midnight blue with some dark grey (probably easiest to add some black to codex grey) and it gave a much better base colour - kind of like a cloudy night sky colour - which I then added increasing amounts of enchanted blue to until I was happy with it. With the washes coming out now I would use them to tie the layers together.

The lightning was pretty simple, I used a picture of a plasma ball to get a visual of how the lightning should work then used very thin white paint on a 0 brush - wait til it dries before adding more because white seems to "develop" as it dries on dark colours - then with slightly thicker white paint I used the tip of a 00 brush to go back over the middle of the streaks, and thus make it less opaque - simple ;)

Having now seen these in the flesh... Awesome...

Absolutely loved the Thousand Sons Terminator, just wish I could find some nice rogue trader marines lying about...

Any chance of getting that painting white tutorial off you Iacton, I'm looking for some pointers on painting my nice new SM Vets Mk.2 that I got Yesterday, and a variant White scheme just sprung into my head...

Laterz...

Thanks Dam13n, it was nice to meet you and I hope that you keep up the good work - will probably go back to hear the results next week - uh oh! That's payday too! :)

Heres the CMoN link to the guys models - the ones that went up in smoke! - http://www.coolminiornot.com/193497

And this is the recipe that he details for the "dirty" white: -

For the ordinary marines it is:

Basecoat GW Foundation Khemri brown

shade with a wash of charadon granite

highlight with khemri + dheneb stone

highlight with pure dheneb stone

highlight with Vallejo Model Colour Ivory

In between the last stages some glazing with Graveyeard earth, codex grey and kommando khaki to smooth out transitions and make the colour more interesting.

The scratches was done with chaos black and then ivory or Vallejo Game Colour white as a sharp highlight under the scratch. I then added some snake bite leather on some places to represent dirty rust.

I'm going to try it out a bit for a white scar that I have planned...

Catch you later B)

Cheers for that...

I decided to do those Mk2 Vets in white, have yet to decide on trim, but I'm going for a Dawn/Sunset theme to them, so playing with lighting effects etc. should be fun!

Currently I've done the white:

- Hormagaunt Purple

- HP 2:1 Skull White

- HP 1:1 SW

- HP 1:2 SW

- Skull White

- Glaze with Bubonic Brown x2

- Glaze with Hormagaunt Purple

need to clean up and add battle damage to the white, then move onto the trim, I'm thinking a Dark muted green (any guesses which army I'm going for?? :P) If I get them done they'll be my 40K squad entry into the NPC. I look forward to pitting my AL Termie against your NL, give the kids a couple of models to drool over (and try and break if they get their hands on them!) So I'll be at the GW on saturday, entering the models, and hoping they're recieved well.

Laterz...

Yes, I believe so, Scolar.

I left mine there on Saturday, but I don't think they are displaying the entries until the weekend. I'm sure the posters said the 28th, but the blue shirt said Sunday :huh:

I'll ring them in the week, cos I don't want to turn up 24 hours out! It'll be nice to meet another member of the coven! ;)

Today was a day of WIN! :lol:

The Night Lord won the 40k single and overall "Slayer Spoon" for the National Painting Comp in GW Colchester!

I'm made up, and glad it went to the wire with Dam13n's Alpha Termie Lord (Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye Dam13n).

So for now, I'd just like to thank my wife, my parents, my cat.... :P

S'ok... was crowded, and I was getting hungry...

Don't forget to thank your paint, your brushes and the model for not falling over at the worst time etc... :lol:

Laterz m8...

edit - it appears my showcase was de-necro'd, damn...

Archived