Mantis Warriors

Doghouse

Mantis Warriors

The Mantis Warriors are possibley one of my all time favourite Chapters. For those that are not in the know they were involved in the Badab war and chose the wrong side. For their part in the rebellion they were forced to forfeit their homeworld and embark on a hundred year penitence crusade, a crusade that in the current timeline is drawing to an end.

A while back I developed a thing for Battle of Macragge snap-fix marines and tried to put together an army of Space Sharks but soon lost interest. I recently came across these marines and decided that I'd have a bash at remaking them in the image of the Mantis Warriors. Most of my marines have been predominantly dark colours in the past and I've been itching to try something more colourful for a change of pace so redoing my Mantis Warriors army seemed like an ideal solution.

The impression I've always gotten with Macragge marines is that people don't really like them. Maybe it's the limited pose, the smaller size but generally they seem to be a last resort in players armies which is a shame as they are really nice minis once you play around with them a bit and dirt cheap.

I've heard rumours that the new 40k starter set will include marines that are rescupts of these guys in which case I'll definately be getting some of them to use along with the snap-fix dreadnaught and terminators to accompany the force.

:HQ:WIP Third Company Captain

This guy is made from the missle launcher marine from the BoM set. I removed the head and missiles replacing the helmet with one of the bare heads from the Dark Angels sprue and removed the hair. The sword is from a terminator sergeant and the storm bolter from commander sprue.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture084.jpg

:Troops:WIP First Squad

I've got around fourty or fifty marines lying about in my bits box, twenty or so of which have had their helmets replaced with the Forge World Mk IV helmets. I'll be painting these with Goblin Green like these test minis below.

If I can get the incentive to get an army done of these guys then I'm aiming for an all snap-fix force, except the vehicles of course (I seriously want a Vindicator!).

The aim is to get together a table top standard army so that I can start gaming again in time for 5th ed.

I'm limiting the pallette to five main colours, green, yellow, black, gold and red. The squad markings will be in yellow.

I'm sticking to a desert base colour to make the green pop out.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture082.jpg

Test Standard BoM Marine

This just a basic BoM marine with very little conversion work. It's the flamer guy with a simple weapon swop, simpley because as far the models go this is the best tactical in the set and the one I'm most reluctant to convert.

This guy is just a test to see if they will fit in with the other Mk IV conversions.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture083.jpg

Thanks guys! :)

Asmodeus' Swordhand: I was preying no-one would say that... :D

Octavulg: That's the Sons of Medusa as captain fuzzball pointed out. I was going to use them but they don't use dreadnaughts and I want one in my force.

Müller: The Mk IVs are Forge World Red Scorpion veteran heads. The bare heads are from the tactical upgrade sprue and the dark angels veterans sprue. I did alter the terminator style skull head a little though.

Quick update

I now have four guys on the go.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture085.jpg

Some serious speed painting later and the fourth member of the force is underway. I've got to clean him up a little on the shoulder pad but I'm confident that I can knock these guys out fairly quickly now, still have to do various bits on all of them like add icons, battle damage, finish their bolters, detailing and stuff.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture088.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture089.jpg

Very quick work matey, good to see more of your work floating about on these forums.

Might be a silly question but, are you actually going to complete these guys without moving on to a different project? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! :)

Pulse: Not a guardman's chance in the eye of terror mate! :confused: :lol: :P

Nah, I'm going to try really hard to get them complete, the only gaming armies I have left are seriously old and boring (my old beret wearing White Scorpions and Tau) so I want to get these guys ready for 5th ed.

Octavulg: That's the Sons of Medusa as captain fuzzball pointed out. I was going to use them but they don't use dreadnaughts and I want one in my force.

I know its totally off-topic but can I ask where did you found that Sons of Medusa don't use dreadnaughts?

Besides that- I’ve always been a fan of your work but I have to say this – you’ve got the attention span of a 6 year old :confused:

Pulse: Not a guardman's chance in the eye of terror mate! :confused: :lol: :P

Nah, I'm going to try really hard to get them complete, the only gaming armies I have left are seriously old and boring (my old beret wearing White Scorpions and Tau) so I want to get these guys ready for 5th ed.

Haha, i'll hold you to that. :)

How many marines you planning on doing, and are you going to do tanks/dreds?

This makes me want to revisit my own mantis warriors/legion. Scorpion green though, that was some trippy acid colour to paint an entire army in.

I really like these, hope you can post more soon.

I'ts nice to see some of your old projects getting a new lease on life. I am a little dissapointed to see your space sharks get repainted. I was a big fan of your sharks but I'm an even bigger fan of your conversions. Keep up the good work.

Cheers guys! :)

Keyoz Devastrius: It's from a write up on that Inquisitor scale Death Watch marine. It's something to do with the chapter believing in death in battle or something, I'll have to look it up.

I do have a short attention span I guess, it's probably because I don't get a lot of free time and have waaaay too many ideas at once. :)

Kaleb Daark: Yeah, finish what I start... :D

Thanks mate! :)

Asmodeus' Swordhand: Great now I have competition from a six year old... :P

Pulse: Thirty five marines to begin with, when the new starter set comes out I'll add a dread and more infantry. I was looking at a Vindicator in the local store today but will hold off untill I get the marines done.

mikhail: I'm disappointed about my Sharks as well. :(

Trouble was that the colour was quite complex where as these guys are simple enough to churn out a lot quicker.

It's from a write up on that Inquisitor scale Death Watch marine. It's something to do with the chapter believing in death in battle or something, I'll have to look it up.

I do have a short attention span I guess, it's probably because I don't get a lot of free time and have waaaay too many ideas at once. :P

You mean Brother Artemis? He was a Mortifactor. The Mortifactors are obsessed with death and bones, having their Chapter Monestary decorated with the bones of their dead everywhere and all. And shame on you for the attention span. Sure, I've changed my mind on projects numerous times but at least I never actually start any. Laziness can save you money?

These look terrific mate, as always I am impressed by your work. For speed painting they are an unbelievably high standard too! How quickly are you knocking them out per marine? The conversions are nicely done too making the Macragge marines look good. Bravo, I look forward to seeing more!

Cheers,

Dante

They look fantastic. A very rare chapter too, which makes them all that much better!

The green is really nice, and the face details rock. I want to see the whole army!

Archived