Fear the Kilt

Barret

Ahoy,

Long time, no painting. Long time, no posting in the Hall of Honour. Longer time, no kilts! Well, now that has been rectified with this, the beginnings of my new Sons of Dagda army.

First, the group shot (from which I just noticed is missing one of my favourites. ;) I'll have to get a pic of him later... )

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/CommandSquad.jpg

Here's the Clan-Chief, "Wolfman" McGregor, the irascible, uncompromising, ill-mannered Captain of the McGregor Clan-Company with his standard issue Logan-pattern Lightning Claws.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/Captain.jpg

The back side of the Sergeant's banner (I'm leaving the front bare for kill tallies, honour markings, etc). It says "S'Rioghal Mo Dhream", which translates as "Royal Is My Race".

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/Slogan.jpg

The Standard Bearer, a pose which I assure you is completely original. As a side note, I find his completely unhappy expression somewhat hilarious. I'm quite pleased with the faces, and my new method for painting them (Dwarf Flesh->Flesh Wash->Dwarf Flesh) is fast and easy and looks good (at my standards). The woad I'm still undecided on. The Blue Ink is really dark, but so was the woad warpaint I saw on the intertubes...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/Standard.jpg

A horribly blurry pic of a Marine whose pose is another complete original.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/AllOriginal.jpg

The all-important piper. Unlike the previous piper, who can be seen here, I tried to make this one a little more 40k, hence the wires and the speaker.

In my previous SoD army, the piper was the standard, but after seeing kikala's Word Bearer, I couldn't help but be inspired. So the piper is just decoration. Though if I get really ambitious, I'll put one in every squad and say it count as frag grenades. ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/Pipes.jpg

A detail of the Apothecary's tartan, as his is one of the better ones. Rather than go completely frakking blind, I decided to use a simplified version of the Modern MacGregor tartan (though the green is so dark, it could as well be the Rob Roy...)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/SoD3/TartanDetail.jpg

There's a few little details that need doing, like the Captain's banners, and a purity seal or two I missed, as well as paint chipping and the necessary blood spatter, but I'm rather pressed for time to do the entire army (and it's not small) so my plan is to come back and do a pass of that stuff if/when time permits.

Cheers,

Barret

I wouldn't normally think that the green and gold of the armor, and red of the kilts would mix together well, but you've proven me wrong. I like the snow bases, it contrasts well with the multi-colored marines. The Clan Cheifman looks cool and I like the use of the 'old school' lightning claws. What's on his back, some sort of vox/futuristic bagpipe? Either way, I like the scheme and those kilted marines, they really don't get old. Looking forward to some of the newer Sons of Dagda. ;)

Thanks! The snow bases were a first-time experiment, and I think they turned out quite well (even if I did mix up about 80x too much >_<).

The Clan-Chief's backpack is Ragnar Blackmane's, so it's got two really long banner poles that I intend to have two raggedy banners flying from, though I'll probably print those and glue 'em on.

Now where I have seen that standard bearer before... ;)

Great models you got there :wub: . But where did you get that banner for the sarge? I have seen it so many times before, and I'm pretty confused :) .

I'm McGregor on my mother's side. I don't remember my her or my grandfather ever donning power armour though.

Power armour is what's REALLY worn under a kilt. :)

BrotherAtrox~ Good to hear. That's exactly what I was hoping for!

NemFX~ Next time I'm out east, you're on.

DuskRaider~ Hey, if there can be Space Vikings, there can be Space Braveheart! :wub:

kikkala~ Thank you, and that standard is from the Fantasy Empire Flagellants box, which also provides a number of wild, hairy heads I'm using (one of which is on the missing guy).

Artorious Decimus~ I use Take the Fight to Them (obviously), and See, But Don't Be Seen, with Flesh Over Steel and, um, Die Standing, I think.

Thank you! :lol:

As a side note, to anyone interested, there'll be more this weekend. At least one squad, maybe a Speeder, too.

• 2 weeks later...
You will die, the Brotherhood of Darkness dude is cooler, he has Maxx style lightning claws, Wolverine is so mass market. Plus my lightning claws are Evil Purple. Evil Purple not moderately annoying fuscia, but Evil Purple I tell yah!

Mass market doesn't mean bad! Besides, what does your Brotherhood of Darkness dude have that competes with woad and an eyepatch? :(

I have a half-squad painted, and I should hopefully be finished the other half tomorrow, in which case it'll be time for pics and then onto a Speeder!

Nice work man, nice use of Gaelic too. "pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad" is the battle cry for my White Panthers....

Also using "Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd, Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed" which translates to 'Her Brave warriors, so gallant and brave, for freedom their lifes blood they gave".

Nice work man, nice use of Gaelic too. "pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad" is the battle cry for my White Panthers....

Also using "Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd, Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed" which translates to 'Her Brave warriors, so gallant and brave, for freedom their lifes blood they gave".

Thanks! I can't take credit for writing the Gaelic, though. It's just the McGregor slogan/motto. I'll try and find some more interesting Gaelic slogans to put on other banners, though. It's nice and distinctive.

@NemFX: Well, my Clan-Company is certainly a solo project. I can't speak to what TheDeinonychus is up to.

and all shadows haunt us. sorry this wip shadow is alittle blurry Barret

but i promised you an update

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/kerberos_XII/fallenlion/fallensod1.jpg

I can't believe I missed that! That is seriously cool, man. ;) The tartan looks great. I'm envious of your steadihandedness. And that chainsword is made of pure win.

I cheated on my version of the tartan if you wanna try it I primed grey then I used a super fine sharpie marker to draw on the black lines trying to follow the folds then washed in two coats of thinned red ink then a thinned coat of blood red I think added into the center of the squares. will hit it with brushable flat mate to kill the shine and then finish up the dirt I was adding to the hemline. he's far from finished as the green is just basecoat and I still have lots of details like flesh, hair, armor banding, woad tattoos and bits and bobs to do. been wondering if he should be a red head as we all know them red headed celts just always seemed crazier in the movies ;)

Thanks! I can't take credit for writing the Gaelic, though. It's just the McGregor slogan/motto. I'll try and find some more interesting Gaelic slogans to put on other banners, though. It's nice and distinctive.

Ah, mine isn't gaelic, it's Brythionic, otherwise known as Welsh.

July 12th is the start of the tournament. I've got three full squads left to do, as well as the half squad and speeder I'm working on right now. However, if I get one more full squad done, I'll have hit my safety point, where I can fill in any missing stuff with models from my old SoD army if I really have to.

Archived