Future Horus Heresy novels - 2009

Dan Abnett has announced that he would like his next Horus Heresy novel to be about the BATTLE OF PROSPERO!!

Mr. Abnett intends to work in partnership with Graham McNeill to write two novels on the Battle of Prospero. One author will write a novel from the Space Wolf perspective and the other from the Thousand Son perspective!

Sounds awesome - lets hope it all gets a green light from GW!

This came from a Dan Abnett interview on 40K Radio!

Skol,

Mjol

me not being a SW or 1ksons fanboy am not looking especialy forward to the prospero books, especialy when we know alot about that story already

im looking forward to tales that we havnt heard of before

I don't agree, Perry. If you've read the novels so far you'll see that they add so much more to what little we know about the fluff. We all knew about the Dark Angels, but the novel really added layers of detail never touched on in the codexes.

The novels are all the difference between reading a grade school primer on D-day and reading "Band of Brothers", same setting , but so much more detail in the latter.

I usually read GW novels and give them away; GW has really done a great job with the Horus Heresy novels, they are all keepers.

me not being a SW or 1ksons fanboy am not looking especialy forward to the prospero books, especialy when we know alot about that story already

im looking forward to tales that we havnt heard of before

I agree, I think the most fascinating part of the HH novels is that I get excited eventhough I know exactly how the story will end ;)

Mr. Abnett intends to work in partnership with Graham McNeill to write two novels on the Battle of Prospero. One author will write a novel from the Space Wolf perspective and the other from the Thousand Son perspective!

Speak of the devil, i just posted saying that i would love to read that. And now two novels may be made on it, Flippin sweet!

I disagree. I'd prefer to have Abnett writing the Thousand Sons book. Nothing against McNeil but I think Abnett would do better with the Thousand Sons. With as many short stories, novels, and very detailed histories of the Space Wolves, I imagine it'd be hard for the book to be misleading in any way.

i do agree Abnett would do a much better job on the 1k book, but there are very very few of mcneils books i like, and seeing him approach the SW book scares me. i have faith in mcneil's ability to screw things up.

i am being selfish. sue me.

wolf lord kieran

i LOVE the HH books some of the best books ive read and ive read alot, but when it comes down to it, i just want to read about the seige of terra and that final battle of father and son...admit it...you all look forward to that....what really went down on that battle barge

but id rather william king got hold of the SW book as he has done some great stuff with them also lee lightner has aswell

but hey we can all dream.

i LOVE the HH books some of the best books ive read and ive read alot, but when it comes down to it, i just want to read about the seige of terra and that final battle of father and son...admit it...you all look forward to that....what really went down on that battle barge

Well, they plan to make 40 books for the HH series, so I don't think we'll get a book about the Siege of Terra soon. So far we've had in-dept stuff about 5 traitor legions and a novel about the sixth (word bearers) coming up. The upcoming novel will also cover some stuff about the Ultramarines. The Iron Hands made an appearence in Fulgrim and a very small bit about the Imperial Fists was in Flight of the Eisenstein. So far we've only had one loyalist specific novel: Descent of Angels. So that's 6 traitor legions and 2,5 loyalists.

Conclusion is that they will probably cover the remaining 9 legions. And don't forget the numerous Guard-regiment and different organs of Imperial rule. Nah, the Battle of Terra is years away from getting novelized :P

Yeah but we can still dream. But to me it seems like the whole one novel from SW point of view and a novel from 1ksons point of view is pointless. It would be better if they just did one novel and told both stories point of view it's been done before very well I might add. Plus when two novels are made on the sameevent the novels won't be as good beacuase certain things will be glossed over in one book while being given in full detail in another book and when you know that the event being lossed over is important it sort of messes with the flow of the story. Sort of like how the battle of Istvaan III was summed up in only a few pages in Fulgrim and mainly focused on lucius tricking his buddy into killing the loyalists. That was probably the worst part of the book in my opinion. But in the battle of Istavaan gave a good account of loyalist and traitor pOV's and actually was mainly loyalist. If they create another ook that contains the fall of Istvaan V then it won't be as good because there isn't much else to tell and it could only be glossed over in an annoying manner. It's like the many WWII first person shooters, there's only so much you can do before it just becomes boring witnessingm the same thing over and over.

The only way to make the series work is to have all of the other novels focus on events before the heresy or the events right before the siege of terra and after Istvaan V. Even then trying to make a novel for each legion isn't a good idea and many of the stories would be best served by combining the stories of two legions in a split narrative.

I agree with a fewo other posters in this thread: I hope Abnett tackles the Sons. I'm not a big McNeill fan, but seeing as the wolves have so much fluff already he can't mess it up too much. Abnett is much better at world building and adding depth to the 40k universe (Legion, anyone?). The Sons are a blank slate and I'd love to see Abnett be as creative as he was the Alpha Legion.

Everyone keeps ranting about the wulfs and sorcerors but that nobody even mentioned the Adeptus Custodes... shame on you.

The custodes were heavily involved in the sacking of prospero, maybe now we can finally get some glimpses to the big Mans personal bodyguard and their background as well as how efficiently they kick 1ksons behinds.

Truthfully, I'm not really feeling these. Same as the next one coming out, I don't like the Ultramarines nor do I like the Word Bearers. I'm really waiting for a good novel from Perturabo's perspective.

Abnet rules in the 40k world fact!!!!!

but i do think that this story should be told in one book from both sides POV cos two could be over kill

me being selfish tho i want another book on the SoH and one on the Iron Warriors ;)

Archived