First ever Space Marines

Skarin

I recently painted this Assault Squad, but I don't really like the colour scheme. Plus it was a pain cleaning up the armour every time I painted something else, other colours show up too well on armour like this. :yes: Just a few things you should know before you look at these: I haven't used green stuff prior to this, I haven't done nice bases before, and I've painted <10 models before these. So they might not be up to your standards. :Troops: I'm also crap with cameras.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5056/p1060001bg3.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6356/p1060002vm3.jpg

I could only get a few decent close-ups, bloody cameras. :no:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7055/p1060006qe3.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3338/p1060007ps7.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3559/p1060008fi8.jpg

C&C welcome.

Woah I wish I could paint like that after 10 models (still can't I don't think :yes: ). The only suggestion I could give you is to go back and try to tighten up the brown shading around the knee pads and on the helms. Your bone colour looks excellent but with a bit a neatening up you've got yourself some awesome looking marines there. Well done.

Brother Duncs

whats coming outta their back exhaust thingys? anyhoo very nice job, although i agree with the paint job. unless you turned them into deathwing veterans with jump packs it wouldnt really blow me away.

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to know I'm not terrible at painting!

Woah I wish I could paint like that after 10 models (still can't I don't think :) ). The only suggestion I could give you is to go back and try to tighten up the brown shading around the knee pads and on the helms. Your bone colour looks excellent but with a bit a neatening up you've got yourself some awesome looking marines there. Well done.

Brother Duncs

Yeah, 50% of the time I took painting these guys was spent cleaning up the armour. I just got impatient in the end I guess.

whats coming outta their back exhaust thingys?

A simple attempt at flames. :lol:

Your painting is amazing, considering you've not even done 10 models yet! Very nicely done.

They are, however, lacking some detail. ( squad numbers, chapter insignia, etc. )

I'm a bit scared of doing freehand. The "Lux" on the vet's seal didn't come out too well.

but, thats not right, not right at all!

ahhh! 10? 10 you say! you siur, have made an enemy, a nemesis even! :P

brilliant, how long did they take?

Don't know exactly, probably around 15-20 hours for the squad. They're not quite finished, some small details need doing.

Really good man, seriously good for first models :>

There's no shame in using transfers when you first start off painting models.

For a quick/effective chapter sign:

Paint half of the internal shoulder pad a contrasting colour (black for instance) and then use a simple geometric shape to sit on the margin (a green square, yellow circle, red triangle etc).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, despite the threadromancy... ;) I'll describe the basing though:

- Apply modelling sand and a large piece of slate on each base, and then file a small area flat to glue the model's foot on.

- The base is then basecoated black, heavily drybrushed Codex Grey, and given a lighter drybrush of Space Wolves Grey.

- The "snow" is a mix of PVA glue, sodium bicarbonate, and water. Mix the first two together, adding the water when it gets too thick to mix. This mixture shouldn't fizz much. You'll need to mix quite large amounts of the snow to cover the base.

- After apply the snow to the bases, seal it with thin PVA glue (or other sealants).

Simple. :D

you have absolutly nothgin to fear, your painting is of a level I would usually place someone who has been painting well for at least 6 months, if not much much longer.

A nice idea with the GS flames, didn't come out as you were hoping, but a nice idea none the less, so dont give up on those wacky ideas, you'll get used to GS soon enough, but without wacky ideas, GS skills are useless.

If your worried about freehanding the squad numbers then grab yourself some GW SM decal sheets and use the black numerals on the bottom left of the sheet. (GW component number 99 51 01 01 102).

Keep up the good work

Very nice start. If you want to experiment further with the bone color, you should add another step. After you paint the armor ivory, use brown wash and then dry brush ivory. When that is done try a yellow wash and then dry brush again. Once complete you can use white for highlighting and really have a deep bone color that looks very natural, IMO.

Good Luck.

I echo the words of some of the others here - I wish my first miniatures looked so well! The face is well painted on the sargeant - I still have a long way to go with faces. I think that having thinner lines for the shadows will help, but that will come with time and practice. Is this an army that you're building as I'll be interested to see how it turns out!

I echo the words of some of the others here - I wish my first miniatures looked so well! The face is well painted on the sargeant - I still have a long way to go with faces. I think that having thinner lines for the shadows will help, but that will come with time and practice. Is this an army that you're building as I'll be interested to see how it turns out!

Thanks mate, the face is just Gryphonne Sepia over a white undercoat, then highlighted with Dwarf Flesh. Simple but effective I guess. I'm not going to be continuing with these guys, check my signature for the chapter I'll start building next week.

I think you are way too hard on yourself. I avoid using light colors for how hard it is to touch up over other colors, so i give kudos to anyone willing to try it, and more kudos for pulling it off as well as you did^_^ your detailing is good, especially for as little practice as you've had, I know some people who have been working on miniatures for a year or more who aren't as good. Nice bases too. ;)

wow man, those minis make my first guys look even worse then they already are, they were like freakin clowns. But i was only like... 10 or something so i use that as my excuse. And those bases are awsome! Keep up that and i would think u could make golden deamon someday. Depends how hard u want it.

Archived