Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Brother Pariah

Gather round, you Lexicania, Codiciers and Epistolaries, for the fourth Librarium of Macragge Research Project. Take off those psychic hoods and put on your thinking caps. In this thread we will document the astronomy and geography of the Realm of Ultramar.

We will work together to compile every unique reference to the astronomy and geography of Ultramar from every source available. This top post will be where I will compile everything into relevent categories. Each entry should contain the following:

1. An exact quotation from an official GW source. Put quotes around it so we know what's "canon."

2. Cite your source. This is important. Historical research requires verifiable sources. Any official Warhammer 40,000 material is fair game, even licensed stuff. Some discrepancies will inevitably appear, but that's part of the fun! Be sure to provide a copyright date if the edition could be in doubt and a page number, if applicable. Also, specify which country your White Dwarf is from, if it post-dates the UK/US White Dwarf split (WD 192?).

Anything about the astronomy and geography of Ultramar and its heavenly bodies is of interest. Where are the systems in relation to each other? What planets are in each system? What are the names of the moons? How many continents are there on Macragge, and what are their names? What's the mountain range that the Ultramarines' fortress-monastary sits in?

We can use the same color-coding from the Timeline thread to keep track of the different eras of 40K:

1st Edition (October 1987-October 1993)

2nd Edition (October 1993-October 1998)

3rd Edition (October 1998-August 2004)

4th Edition (August 2004-July 2008)

5th Edition (July 2008-present)

Unknown / Other (Further research required)

As usual, I'll "prime the pump" with the first entry, a moldy-oldy from WD 97 on the Vendors system, below).

Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Ultramar

Ultramar is situated deep in the galactic southeast in the Ultima Segmentum. (US WD 255, p. 64)

The Ultramarines control no fewer than eight nearby systems from their home world of Macragge. (US WD 255, p. 64)

The worlds surrounding Macragge are largely industrial in nature, but are not polluted, poison choked wastelands; they are prosperous, productive planets. (US WD 255, p. 64)

All the worlds of Ultramar could be classified as "civilized" because of their highly technological infrastructure, but they are otherwise quite distinct. (US WD 288, p. ??)

The Straits of Halk, a vast stretch of celestial phenomena resembling gas and dust clouds, lie in the galactic northwest of Ultramar. (Battle Missions, p. 81)

Calth System

Lies to the galactic northeast of Macragge. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Its blue sun was long ago seeded with poisons by the Word Bearers Traitor Legion. (US WD 263, p. 22)

"Calth's three sister planets were being destroyed by Lorgar's ships, massive geo-nuclear strikes were ripping them apart. Calth's sun was being bombarded with radiation and chemical warheads that were boiling away its surface and threatening to send it supernova." (The Horus Heresy, vol. II: Visions of Darkness, p. 58.)

Calth

Second most important planet of Ultramar is the forgeworld Calth. (Battlefleet Gothic Magazine 15, p. 17)

An airless world with a surface of bare metallic-blue frozen rock illuminated by the lethal rays of a blue star. (Battlefleet Gothic Magazine 15, p. 17)

Populace lives below the surface in vast subterranean cavern honeycomb the crust, described as being so fresh and spacious as to make a man forget that he is underground. (US WD 255, p. 65)

The caves are so enormous that they have their own internal weather. (US WD 288, p. 112)

Has great deals of food shipped in from Iax. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Calth is the primary manufacturing centre for Ultramar. (Battlefleet Gothic Magazine 15, p. 17)

Its great shipyards construct a sizeable portion of the Ultramarines fleet as well as other fleets throughout the Imperium. (US WD 263, p. 22)

These docks are unusual in being located on the surface of the airless planet rather than in orbit. The inhospitable smooth surface is perfect for starships. (Battlefleet Gothic Magazine 15, p. 17)

Ice packs, either northern or southern. (Codex Tyranids, 2001, p. 34)

The initial ground battle against the Word Bearers took place at a city by a valley. (Space Marine, 1989)

In one of the caverns is the Palace of Leptius Numinus. (The Horus Heresy, Volume IV: Visions of Death, p. 74)

"Captain Ventanus of the Ultramarines was defending the Palace of Leptius Numinus on Calth from the assault..." (The Horus Heresy, vol. II: Visions of Darkness, p. 59.)

On the surface are the Mountains of Twilight. (The Horus Heresy, Volume IV: Visions of Death, p. 74)

"The surface is cold blue, its every surface icy-looking and devoid of life. The rocks are scoured bare, hot and irrevocably saturated with deadly radiation."

"The Windward Spires is a region of Calth that resembles a forest of sickle-bladed towers of irradiated stone."

"North of the Spires is a vast, radiation-swept plain."

"Radiation winds blow on the surface. Those that come down from the Mountains of Dawn are particularly effective in causing interference in vox-casters and surveyors."

"A grand, gilded-marble arch once spanned the thousand-meter wide opening of Gulliman's Gate, the sharp-sided graben that descended into the planet's crust towards the caverns below the Mountains of Twilight." (US WD 362, p. 30)

Espandor System

Lies far to the galactic northeast of Macragge. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Espandor

Lies far to the galactic northeast of Macragge. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Cardinal World. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Primarily forested land. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Rumored to have been settled during the Age of Strife. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Thickly forested... Remote agri-complexes. (US WD 305, p. ??)

Major cities are confined to the western-most of its two continents. (Codex Ultramarines, p. 15)

The western continent is sparsely populated. (BFG mag 15, pg 19, 2002)

The eastern continent has been left as a wildlife reserve. (US WD 288, p. 112)

Dead World, stripped bare by Hive Fleet Kraken (back cover). (Codex Tyranids, 2001, back cover)

Iax System

Lies to the galactic east northeast of Macragge. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Iax

Garden World. (US WD 255, p. 65)

The "Garden of Ultramar". (Codex Ultramarines, p. 14)

Climate and fertility have made it one of the most productive worlds in the Imperium. (Codex Ultramarines, p. 14)

Well-ordered farms and cultivated woodlands. (Codex Ultramarines, p. 15)

Sparsely populated. (US WD 255, p. 65)

No large cities, but many small towns connected by efficient hydroways. (Codex Ultramarines, p. 15)

Is a model of how an agri-world should be managed and is one of the most productive worlds in the Imperium. (US WD 255, p. 65)

The world has a low population split into small towns dotted amongst farms and parklands. (BFG mag 15, pg 17, 2002)

The only city is the ancient citadel of First Landing. This adamantium fortress is protected by clusters of mega-lasers and a detachment of Ultramarines. (BFG mag 15, pg 17, 2002)

Iax is also famous for the fast, efficient hydroway transport systems that link the market towns to First Landing. (BFG mag 15, pg 17, 2002)

There were few tall buildings on Iax. (Enforcer, p. 194, 2010)

Konor System

Lies to the galactic north of Macragge. (US WD 255, p. 66)

Adeptus Mechanicus Research World. (US WD 255, p. 66)

Macragge / Vendors System

"This is the planet Macragge in the Vendors system." (Perhaps Vendors is the name of Macragge's sun?) (WD 97, p. 40)

Macragge orbits "her star." The system seems not to be a binary or trinary or something. (Inferno 44, p. 6)

"Macragge's hyperspatial locality on the eastern rim of the Imperium means it is a useful supply base and jumping-off point for Imperial servants moving beyond the psychic-light of the Astronomican." (WD 97, p. 40)

Circe

In the system is the gas giant Circe; the Battle of Circe was fought against Hive Fleet Behemoth here. (US WD 255, p. 71)

"Ringed world of Circe at the edge of the Macragge system." (Codex Tyranids, 1995, p. 8)

Formaska

"Second moon of Macragge. A barren rock. There is nothing there." (Battle for the Abyss, p. 293)

"The ancient primitives of Macragge thought that Formaska was the eye of a god, and that it was bloodshot with anger.... Sometimes, when the lava fields grew, they thought the eye had opened..." (Battle for the Abyss, p. 326)

Macragge

Orbital Distance 2.01AU. (US WD 255, p. 65)

Average temperature is 23

Edited by Seahawk

Excellent! I'll draw my entries from Battle for the Abyss, Nightbringer, Dead Sky, Black Sun, Codex: Ultramarines, Codex: Tyranids (3rd), US WD 305, and the relics US WD 255 & 263. The Index Astartes is from WD 263, and much of what's there was repeated from WD 255. I didn't thus repeat anything already said elsewhere. I also don't repeat page numbers; anything below a given one is on the same page. In WD 255 area I mention the planet's proximity in relation to Macragge; north, south, etc.

BftA:

- Macragge has a moon: Formaska. I don't remember the page number, and my girlfriend is reading it, so I don't have the reference. It's there though!

WD 305, June 2005:

Espandor

- Thickly forested

- Remote agri-complexes

WD 255, April 2001:

- Ultramar is situated deep in the galactic southeast in the Ultima Segmentum (pg 64)

- The Ultramarines control no fewer than eight nearby systems from their home world of Macragge

- The worlds surrounding Macragge are largely industrial in nature

- NOT polluted, poison choked wastelands

- They are prosperous, productive planets honest toil and virtue are rewarded and the populace flourished like never before

Macragge (pg65)

- Orbital Distance 2.01AU (from its star, I'd imagine)

- Overall landscape is rocky/mountainous terrain

- Average temperature is 23˚C/73˚F

- Northern and Southern Polar Defense Fortresses cover large tracts of area

- The Fortress of Hera and Shrine of the Primarch are in the Northern Hemisphere

Talassar (West)

- Ocean World

- Majorly covered by a turbulent and violent sea

- Has a single continent named Glaudor

Quintarn, Tarentus, Masali (West-North-West)

- Agri Worlds

- In the same star system

- Huge, domed agri-cities protect verdant greenery and hundreds of square miles of agricultural land (Biodome, eat your heart out)

- Arid and desolate land outside of the cities

- Wind traps collect water from the outside

Calth (North-East)

- Cavern World

- Populace lives below the surface in vast subterranean cavern honeycomb the crust; described as being so fresh and spacious as to make man forget that he is underground

- Has great deals of food shipped in from Iax

Iax (East-North-East)

- Garden World

- Sparsely populated

- Is a model of how an agri-world should be managed and is one of the most productive worlds in the Imperium

Espandor (Far North-East)

- Cardinal World

- Primarily forested land

- Rumored to be settled during the Age of Strife

Prandium (Far South-East) (pg66)

- Paradise World

- Climate is temperate

- The natural beauty of its geography makes it one of the most exquisite planets of the Imperium

- Was stripped bare to its bedrock by Hive Fleet Behemoth

Talasa Prime (Far South-West)

- Inquisition Fortress World

Parmenio (South-West)

- Ultramarine Training World

Konor (North)

- Adeptus Mechanicus Research World

WD 263, December 2001:

Macragge

- 3/4 of the surface is covered by bleak, mountainous uplands, and the rest with glittering blue seas (pg18)

- Northern lands are called Illyrium

- The Valley of Laponis is where the first Battle King of Macragge was crowned (pg19)

- Hera's Falls, a mighty waterfall tens of thousands of feet tall, is within the Valley of Laponis

- The valley lies among impenetrable, snow-capped peaks

- Roboute Guilliman was found in this isolated valley

- The Northern Polar Defense Fortress is built upon the Laponis Valley (pg21)

Calth

- Its blue sun was long ago seeded with poisons by the Word Bearers Traitor Legion (pg22)

Iax

- Its great shipyards construct a sizeable portion of the Ultramarines fleet as well as other fleets throughout the Imperium

Codex: Tyranids, February or March 2001:

Calth

- Ice packs, either northern or southern (pg34)

Espandor

- Dead World, stripped bare by Hive Fleet Kraken (back cover)

Codex: Ultramarines, 1995

- The population lives in sprawling cities surrounded by extensive farmlands and seas that teem with fish

Talassar (pg14)

- Features rocky islands as land

Iax

- The "Garden of Ultramar"

- Climate and fertility have made it one of the most productive worlds in the Imperium

- Well-ordered farms and cultivated woodlands (pg15)

- No large cities, but many small towns connected by efficient hydroways

Espandor

- Major cities are confined to the western-most of its two continents

Prandium

- Settled after the Heresy

- The "Jewel of Ultramar" until its desecration by Hive Fleet Behemoth

Nightbringer, 2002

Macragge

- Fortress of Hera is built on the Valley of Laponis (pg19)

- The highest peaks there (and the fortress) are surrounded by highland fir (pg20)

Dead Sky, Black Sun, 2004

Macragge

- Gallan's Rock overlooks Hera's Falls (pg 10 or so)

Edited by Seahawk

I already see possible minor contradictions appearing.

The Fortress Of Hera and the Northern Polar Defense Fortress aren't the same place, and yet they are both listed as being built upon the Valley Of Laponis.

I suppose the Valley Of Laponis COULD just be that big, eh?

So far as the landscape goes I'd love to live on Macragge. Sounds epically nice to look at.

Ultramar and the galactic southeast:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/Ultramar.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/Ultramar1.jpg

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

I noticed that as I was writing. Could it be that the fortress is that big?

Oh man, they really have to change that map. Hive Fleet Kraken came from the same/similar quadrant as Behemoth and went north as far as Delta Tao (so far, 992.M41). At least according to the official fluff and the only map of it. But then I guess they re-did that too in the 5th edition rulebook. Bah. And another thing; in the codex it says that Espandor is gone, but there are other fluffs saying it was only a small infestation that was neutralized. More inconsistencies.

Oh yea, picked this up from my other stuff. I'll need to find that one so I can finish it off, but here's a gem from Battlefleet Gothic Magazine 15, pg 17, 2002-3

Calth

- Forge World

- Second most important planet of Ultramar is the forgeworld Calth.

- An airless world with a surface of bare metallic-blue frozen rock illuminated by the lethal rays of a blue star

- Calth is the primary manufacturing centre for Ultramar

- These docks are unusual in being located on the surface of the airless planet rather than in orbit (it counts as geography, I suppose :mellow:)

- The inhospitable smooth surface is perfect for starships.

Edited by Seahawk

New source!

US WD 288, January 2004:

- All the worlds of Ultramar could be classified as "civilized" because of their highly technological infrastructure, but they are otherwise quite distinct

Macragge

- 3/4 of the landmass is largely uninhabited bare rock and moorland (pg112)

- Castra Magna, the Ultramarines fortess, is located in the center of this continent and was built upon a granite crag surrounded by black, impenetrable, splintered mountain ranges (this also happens to be the Fortress of Hera in all other works...this Matt Keefe ain't too bright, apparently)

- The civil population lives in modestly sized cities of fewer than 50 million people along the coasts of the continent and on the larger islands

Calth

- The caves are so enormous that they have their own internal weather

Talassar

- 90% of its surface is covered by the world ocean, which teems with sea life

- Productive marine agri-world, with rich plankton fields and kelp beds. The fins of the giant sunfish are considered to be one of the great food delicacies of the Imperium

Quintarn, Tarentus, Masali

- Famous for their parks and lush gardens

- Members of the Inquisition have often speculated that the Three Worlds are the artificial construct of a powerful, lost xeno race, but no trace of that has ever been found

Prandium

- Wide range of biohabitats and subsequent bewildering array of species

- Hunting lodges for rich off-worlders dot the Prandium outback

Espandor

- The eastern continent has been left as a wildlife reserve

I can't decide how to read that sentence....

"Castra Magna, the Ultramarines fortress, is located in the center of this continent and was built upon a granite crag surrounded by black, impenetrable, splintered mountain ranges"

Is this the name of the continent or the name of another fortress?

Having a 4th fortress doesn't seem particularly unlikely...

"this continent" seems to imply that Hera is located in the center of the continent Castra Magna.

Wait......is Calth a farm world or a Forge World or a farm world IN a Forge World? I'm lost.....

Just to completely confuse the issue, I'll continue quoting from WD 97, p. 40:

"Macragge is an inhospitable planet. Over four-fifths of its surface is covered with deep dust-oceans.... The remaining fifth of the world is solid rock, rising above the dust oceans in two main land masses called Westenland and Gullimanos.

"The fortress-monastery of the Ultra-Marines lies in the Marabar plains on the continent of Westenland far north of the equator. Macragge has a breathable atmosphere whose oxygen content sours during the warmer months due to the activities of oceanic bacteria. The prevailing temperatures are extremely hot during daylight, falling to below zero at night. Moisture content is almost zero within the areas bordered by the dust seas and very low even in the continental interiors. Both rain and vapour clouds are unknown, although clouds of air-borne dust sometimes obscure the deeper oceanic regions. Sealed suits must be worn within the proximity of the oceans to avoid lethal desiccation.

"Vegetation is present only in very simple forms. Primitive fungi grow beneath the ground, opening small cracks and fissures and even living within the crystalline structure of the rock itself. This causes spectacular colouring of the normally red rock formations. The best known of this are the Rainbow Caves in the equatorial regions of Gullimanos. Although initially devoid of higher life forms, ambulls and crawlers, which were imported for experimental purposes, have escaped and established themselves on both continents.

"Macragge's hyperspatial locality on the eastern rim of the Imperium means it is a useful supply base and jumping-off point for Imperial servants moving beyond the psychic-light of the Astronomican."

And from page 45:

"The Iracund Sea [is] the dust-ocean lying to the west of Westenland."

I can't decide how to read that sentence....

"Castra Magna, the Ultramarines fortress, is located in the center of this continent and was built upon a granite crag surrounded by black, impenetrable, splintered mountain ranges"

Is this the name of the continent or the name of another fortress?

If the punctuation is exactly as you have it there, then Castra Magna is the Ultramarines fortress (IIRC, Castra is latin for some term resembling fort), and it's located in the center of whatever the continent is.

Wait......is Calth a farm world or a Forge World or a farm world IN a Forge World? I'm lost.....

Actually, the classification of Calth as a Forge World is debatable.

According to the 3e Main Rulebook, in that charming little section on planet classification, Forge Worlds belong to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Thus, one could argue, Calth is not technically a Forge World, merely a Hive or Civilized world with a lot of factories.

I like to subscribe to the latter definition myself, but that's because it gives one a quick and easy way to shoot down the typical ignorant-DIYer's "my chapter recruits from a Forge World so they have cool stuff!" Pointing out that Forge World = Ad. Mech tends to blast the option from their minds. :)

Think quicksand but with less moisture, maybe? Really fine grained dust, so it doesn't pack...

I dunno. It's 40K astrophysics/geography, why are you trying to bring logic into it? :)

Pariah, you do realize that the first post still says you boys are compiling information about naval operations?

EDIT:

And remembering my geology - perfectly spherical dust grains could never pack, and would be inherently unstable, or at least as unstable as really deep dust can be. If also very light, it could act much like water.

Edited by Octavulg

Bloody hell. Fixed.

I agree with Octavulg re: the Forge World designation. I've been an Ad Mech player for far longer than I have been an Ultramarines player, and Forge Worlds have a very specific definition, and are always run by the Ad Mech. Planets like Calth and Armageddon are confusing because they have extensive manufacturing facilities, which are probably run by the Ad Mech. True Forge Worlds are run by the Ad Mech, and have a Titan Legion based upon them,

Curses! Foiled.

And surely they don't all require Titan Legions...according to the math in the 3e rulebook, in point of fact, there are approximately 100,000 Forge Worlds.

Deliverance has extensive manufacturing facilities as well, and I've always been curious who runs things. Space Marines are sufficiently independent-minded you could make a strong case for it not being the AdMech, IMO.

Curses! Foiled.

And surely they don't all require Titan Legions...according to the math in the 3e rulebook, in point of fact, there are approximately 100,000 Forge Worlds.

Hmmm... that is rather a lot, isn't it? Well, perhaps I'm wrong, or old, or both.

Deliverance has extensive manufacturing facilities as well, and I've always been curious who runs things. Space Marines are sufficiently independent-minded you could make a strong case for it not being the AdMech, IMO.

Well, that also raises the question of whether a Tech-Marine is an Adeptus Astartes first, or an Adeptus Mechanicus...

Another bit of data, from Warhammer Siege, 1988, p. 114:

"Fort Macragge.... the Chapter has moved its Fortress-Monastry [sic] to Macragge, building it over the site of the fortress where No. 1 Company died." (Note that "Fort Macragge" was the name of the fortress during the fight against Hive Fleet Behemoth.)

There's lots of interesting stuff cropping up here that I'd never heard of before. My two cents:

Konor

• Adeptus Mechanicus research world

Source: 4th Edition Rulebook

[*]Named after Roboute Guilliman's adoptive father, one of the Consuls of Macragge.

[*]Indicates a close relationship with the Ad.Mech

The Three Planets

• Masali, Quintarn and Tarentus
  • Orbit a common centre of gravity
  • All 3 arid desert worlds with giant bio-domes full of greenery
  • Agri-worlds
  • Competitive games take place every 7 years to determine which youths join the Ultramarines.

Source: Codex: Ultramarines & US WD 255

Circe

• Gas giant and the site of a major naval battle during the First Tyrannic War between the Ultramar fleet and the Battlefleet Tempestus

Source: Unsure, I think it was in one of the old Space Marine codexes

• I would GUESS that it is in the same system as Macragge

Edited by Contaminus

man this thread is just bringing up more questions; what is the planet Konor dedicated to researching? local flora and fauna? Xenology? weapons? a centre for all sorts of projects including comercial, domestic and military?

that has me interested! of course, with Konor being a research world, their Adeptus Mechanicus lead researchers will need factories and people for research, so the industrial might of Ultramar kinda turns the whole sector into a forge world, in theory.

obviously thats my speculation, but its built through observation and logically progression...

Could it be that it was orginally "Connor", after a local town mayor from the original Irish settlers back in the Potato fammine days, who lead his fellow country-men onto fresher pastures than the USA, a small planet on the Eastern Fringe that was name after him? Over the years the spelling got lazy and corrupted and it became Konor.

yeah you are right, we perhaps shouldnt lay claim to something we dont know for sure. maybe we should put "was likely named after Konor, Roboutes adopted father."

Ahem. I hate to be the killjoy in this little speculation-party, but what we're really looking for is exact quotes from books and other materials, along with page numbers. I see a lot of speculation mixed in with facts, which isn't the point of this thread. Where a quote would be too long (more than a paragraph), it's okay to paraphrase the contents.

This is a research project. Once we have enough material, we can start writing histories, which will have a lot more room for interpretation and outright invention. I have long-term plans; these Research Projects are the foundation of those plans.

So yeah, Contaminus, if you wouldn't mind changing your post to include direct quotations and page numbers, I'd really appreciate it.

Seahawk, I don't see quotation marks in your posts, but they look reasonably solid to me. On the other hand, I don't own the WD in question. Is everything right and tight in your post(s)?

Edited by Brother Pariah

Right and tight? For the most part they are lifted from the pages, but in some cases (the long-winded ones) I shortened it to relevence. I'm lazy for quote tags.

US WD 255

Macragge

- Around the southern polar defense fortress are ice fields; the Tyranids assaulted across this field (pg67)

- The southern polar defense fortress is named "Eagle Bastion." (pg69)

- In the system is the gas giant Circes; the Battle of Circe was fought here (pg71)

Konor

- Nothing about being named after Roboute's father; it's simply the same name

Speculation

- I'm going to estimate one or two planets after Macragge in the solar line-up comes Circe.

- There should be three fortresses: Fortress of Hera which includes the Temple of Correction and the primarch, Castra Magna as the northern polar defense fortress, and Eagle Bastion as the southern polar defense fortress. Newer authors have to get these facts straight.

- The only name for a continent so far is Glaudor; all others remain unnamed.

Oh god......the urge to map Macragge is growing......

Any notes on the sizes of the fortresses (other than ridiculously huge)?

I know Hera was built to hold more than 10,000 Marines and all their gear, so I figure the 2 polar defense fortresses must have the capacity for at least 14,000 Marines between them in order to house the remainder of the Legion XIII. Any notes on architecture of said structures? Layout? Anything more specific than white marble, glass and steel?

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

hmm, cant seem to find mention of Maccragges moon, as mentioned in Battle of the Abyss... Formaska. apparently said in ancient legend of the people of Maccragge to be some sort of ancient Satan or something, that will turn red and come back for vengence!

cant remember that last part exaclty, so i will have to go away and look it up.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Oh god......the urge to map Macragge is growing......

Any notes on the sizes of the fortresses (other than ridiculously huge)?

I know Hera was built to hold more than 10,000 Marines and all their gear, so I figure the 2 polar defense fortresses must have the capacity for at least 14,000 Marines between them in order to house the remainder of the Legion XIII. Any notes on architecture of said structures? Layout? Anything?

Fort Macragge is mapped in detail in Warhammer Siege. The aboveground portion is laid-out the same way as the old "Mighty Fortress" (by some strange coincidence) with a couple of high-tech additions such as a barracks block in the courtyard and defense laser turrets on the towers, and the more extensive below-ground portions can be built using the old dungeon floor-plans. Perhaps some of that material can be salvaged as an outlying fort of some kind.