Inquisitorial File: Iron Champions

Welcome Inquisitor Smith
+++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TO: Magos Supremos Xanth
SUBJECT: Chapter 995
CLASSIFICATION: GAMMA-2 [RED]
DATE: ^!xx4*2_/?
Thought For The Day: Only the Omnissah knows all
Chapter No. 995
Training: 97% complete, exercises 346-357 remaining
Geneseed: Functioning, no recorded mutations
Organs: Full working order
Comments: Chapter displays aptitude to every form of combat. Chapter Master Doran’s background of the Aurora chapter serves him well. The Codex has been followed to the letter in all situations.

++Data File No. GA4++

[color=#FF0000

The Second Balur Crusade (944 M41) proved a glorious venture for the 17th Mondasian Regiment. The control of the crusade was given the the Lord of Macragge, Marneus Calgar. Among the participants were the 75th Viefalan, 987th Krant, 2nd Sagradian, 67th Kartian and the 89th Candarians. Several chapters of the Astartes answered the call for aid, including the Silver Skulls, Iron Champions....
<scrolling>
17th Mondasian once again...
<scrolling>
The Iron Champions actions proved important in the context of the Crusades success. Their three drop pod assaults and subsequent armoured spearheads across the field of battle are estimated to shorten the crusade's length by about 5 years, according to the Collegia Tactica. The leadership of First Company Captain Mathias was proven quickly, with Calgar himself rumoured to have met the Captain face-to-face and praised him in front of his charges as well as Calgar's Honour Guard.

[color=#FF0000
Thought For The Day: Even the smallest cog is of worth to the Emperor.
Milord Apollyon,
Here are the results of your request for information regarding the Celestial Lion's recent actions and their current commitments. This is all I could gleam from the Armageddon despatches and recent files.
Celestial Lions: Have been ordered as a chapter to take part in the war efforts over Armageddon. Currently deployed in Hive Volcanus.

If Milord requires the files regarding the Khattarn Insurrection incident, I will send them to you again, if your memory is proving faulty.

++Data file no. VR-A784++

[Marine 1] We have taken many casualties and our line is stretched thin.
[Marine 2] We are in a similar position.
[Marine 1] There has been increased sniper fire. We are down to two Apothecaries and much geneseed lies uncollected.
[Marine 2] I will ask Chapter Master Krag to send a number of apothecaries to harvest the geneseed.
[Marine 1] I thank you brother. What is your position?
[Marine 2] We are under heavy attack from within the Ork scrapyard. Our targets have activated. We too have lost many brothers but they have paid dearly.
[Marine 1] I will bear this news to my master. Emperor protects.

[color=#FF0000
Astropathic Duct: Trant Primary
Received: ++CLASSIFIED++
Subject: Adeptus Astartes Iron Champions
Thought For The Day: Danger lies in every step. Ever watchful, ever ready.
Milord,
It has come to my attention that the Iron Champions recent actions on Armageddon may have placed certain plans in jeopardy. The Celestial Lions did in fact leave Armageddon, though only a few marines remain. This was mostly due to the Iron Champions drop pod reinforcement. However, there is greater danger in their actions. Intercepted vox records show that Celestial Lion geneseed may have been harvested by the Iron Champions and the chapter may even be harbouring other members from the chapter. The Iron Champions have already proved disruptive to our plans and may prove a further danger. My humble opinion is that we should take actions to avert any further actions by the chapter. I await your decision.
Apollyon

[color=#FF0000
Chapter Status: Approximately four companies intact.
Geneseed received: Full tithes worth

Comments: Chapter has lost six company’s worth of marines at Armageddon. Geneseed remains within accepted deviation.
Magos Kwork

++Data file no. PT67++
003- Return of Patrol Gamma
004- Repairs commence on Vessel 138
006- Patrol Theta Departure
009- Minor attacks reported on outpost 137
013- Iron Champions chapter dock for minor repairs to several vessels
018- Battle Fleet Karnian Minor docks for supplies
023- Battle Fleet Karnian Minor departs
035- Astartes undock
048- Inquisitional ship departs

++Data File ASS6666++
Rerouting..... Alpha access required.
Overriden..... Content available
It is done. May the Emperor judge their souls.

[color=#FF0000
Thought For The Day: The Emperor is the best shield against traitor's actions
Chapter Master Thorton,
As requested, we carried out the purge of the Space Hulks in the Yartan sector. The ships were of Astartes design of unknown heraldry and seemed to have sailed the Empyrean for long centuries. Among them were counted two Strike Cruisers and a Battle Barge. We encountered no resistance in our boardings. The ships bore equipment for many companies of marines yet we found only 78 Astartes bodies plus a number of servitors and serfs. Chaplain Gratan gave the Last Litanies to the bodies and started on the lengthy process of reconsecrating the ships and their equipment. Attached is the full details of the find and the heraldry of the unknown marines. Hopefully the Librarium can track this ancient heraldry. Apothecary Gerhaldt recovered some of the least tainted geneseed for further examination. Preliminary testing showed that there may be two types of geneseed but the warp taint makes this uncertain. The only damage suffered by the ships seem to be a destruction of the plasma generator. Presumably they failed in the Warp, lowering the Gellar fields and leaving their occupants to the horrors of the Warp. May the Emperor have mercy on their souls.
Captain of the First Company,
Kravat

The experiment continues with the paper trail approach. Since the Iron Champions last surfaced, a number of details have been tightened up, mainly dealing with Armageddon. I intend to expand it a lot more to actually put some character in but first I thought that I'd put this out there to double check everything, including historical facts.

Seems OK to me. You've got a few spelling errors (glean, not gleam!), but it still seems quite solid.

For some reason, the "We saved the Celestial Lions" aspect is bugging me more now. Not sure why. Might want to tone it back a little to "we aided and abetted the Celestial Lions". Such hefty involvement would seem to be the sort of thing that would be mentioned.

Indeed, the Celestial Lions thing focuses on just how screwed they are. This seems to say "no, they're not, because of my chapter!". And I think you can see why that's a little...off.

Had you considered having the Marines drop in the mountains to try and eliminate the snipers? That'd provide clear anti-Inquisition motivation and keep them offscreen but still involved.

For some reason, the "We saved the Celestial Lions" aspect is bugging me more now. Not sure why. Might want to tone it back a little to "we aided and abetted the Celestial Lions". Such hefty involvement would seem to be the sort of thing that would be mentioned.

I think that it is currently at "we aided and abetted the Celestial Lions". All they've done is go in and save them from total extermination. Then they may or may not have helped out further, a risk the Inquisition couldn't take. They merely suspected that they may have and they couldn't afford this.

Had you considered having the Marines drop in the mountains to try and eliminate the snipers?

That would seem a little too anti Inquisition :D Plus it could make it whole lot more "we saved the Celestial Lions".

Thanks for the comments.

I think that it is currently at "we aided and abetted the Celestial Lions". All they've done is go in and save them from total extermination.

Which is a lot more than the CL had in official fluff.

That would seem a little too anti Inquisition tongue.gif Plus it could make it whole lot more "we saved the Celestial Lions".

Not if the CL had already lost all their apothecaries. Then it would be too little, too late - but more than enough reason for the Inquisition to kill 'em all.

• 1 month later...

Archived