Painting: How to paint Word Bearers "Kikkala-style"

kikkala

Howdy.

Many people have asked how I paint my bearers, so tutorial was needed.

How to paint tabletop-quality Word Bearers:

Stage 1

Prime it black.

gallery_25055_1634_161671.jpg

Stage 2

Give 50/50 Chaos Black / Scab Red coverage to red area, I used bigger than standard brush for this.

gallery_25055_1634_384665.jpg

Stage 3

Layer of pure Scab Red, leave some of the previous layer showing.

gallery_25055_1634_409994.jpg

Stage 4

Next layer of 50/50 Red Gore / Scab Red, remember to leave some of previous layer showing.

gallery_25055_1634_208475.jpg

Stage 5

Final layer of pure Red Gore.

gallery_25055_1634_263930.jpg

Stage 6

Lightly brush Red Ink to all red areas, I used bigger brush for this.

gallery_25055_1634_390011.jpg

Stage 7

All to metal areas I used lightly thinned Boltgun Metal (trick I learned recently).

gallery_25055_1634_203444.jpg

Stage 8

Wash him with lots of Badab Black!

gallery_25055_1634_410925.jpg

Stage 9

He should be looking like this after the wash is dried.

gallery_25055_1634_404347.jpg

Stage 10

Bone areas: Basecoat of Snakebite Leather, give several thinned coats for good coverage.

gallery_25055_1634_162446.jpg

Stage 11

Highlights with Desert Yellow covering most of the Snakebite Leather (note, my pot of Desert Yellow is many years old and is nearing total drying, so it looks like crap now).

gallery_25055_1634_137480.jpg

Stage 12

Final highlights with Rotting Flesh, highest areas only.

gallery_25055_1634_69504.jpg

Stage 13

Wash bone areas with Devlan Mud.

gallery_25055_1634_34900.jpg

Stage 14

Paint the lenses with Blazing Orange

gallery_25055_1634_376892.jpg

Stage 15

Little dots of Baad Moon Yellow to centers of lenses.

gallery_25055_1634_209852.jpg

And basing and weaponry, Vóila:

gallery_25055_1634_159591.jpg

Some might notice that red has 5 stages and other areas only 1-3 stages, and I have pretty good explantion for that :tu: . Red is the main colour of any Word Bearers, so it'll get attention firstly when look at the models. For Rank and File models I only give couple of layers highlights to metal and bone areas, but for character models or elite units I usually give more highlights for metal and bone.

I hope this tutorial helps all of you aspiring Dark Apostles :devil:

Thanks for comments :tu:.

Bigger-than-Jesus, you asked why did it take so long to make the tutorial?

Simple, I have never been completely satisfied my paintin' standards, and recently I have achieved somewhat good standard for paintin'. I didn't want to make a tutorial until I've got the confidence and paintin' skills to do it. I hope that my answer pleases you. :tu:

• 3 months later...

@BOBMAKENZIE

So you're saying that you want it to be "wet" looking all the time? Sorry, I have no clue ;). But if you were talking about the colours shade, lesser wash should do the job.

Because GW has stopped manufacturing the inks, and lilgrim13 asked so kindly, I did a test without the ink:

gallery_25055_1634_36266.jpg

It's almost the same without the Red Ink.

@BOBMAKENZIE

So you're saying that you want it to be "wet" looking all the time? Sorry, I have no clue :lol:. But if you were talking about the colours shade, lesser wash should do the job.

Its the red man..it reminds me of like a really deep candy apple red on a Hot rod.

• 1 month later...
Because GW has stopped manufacturing the inks, and lilgrim13 asked so kindly, I did a test without the ink:

It's almost the same without the Red Ink.

Thank you SOOOO much. That makes my life so much easier not having to scour ebay looking for red ink!!

Again great tutorial and I am super excited to get my first box of chaos!! (although they wont look nearly this good!!)

Always liked your Word Bearers (well, since I first saw them ;) ), thanks for sharing the secret behind that sinister red :D

If anyone is looking for Red Ink, Vallejo Game Color has a Red Ink that is pretty comparable (well, when I ran out of GW Ink, it became the replacement).

• 2 years later...
i used chaos black paint strate away with out spray (i personaly think spray ruins it dont know y) then i use blood red on the shins and behind it there gloves and there sholder pads then the helmit back pack and wepons plus any decrative on the sholder pads with chain mail im gonna try yours i just fought you might like to try my idea

Archived