Modelling: Combiflamers

Rindaris

So the Sternguard are some nasty customers but you have to worry about horde armies. All those Orks are just such a hassle. Bring the holy flames of the Emperor to them and watch them melt before you. Gotta warn you though burnt Ork is a smell you never want to experience twice.

In all seriousness I've been in love with the Ordo Xenos (Deathwatch) since I first learned about them. And if I had known about them when I first got back into the hobby, redoing all my marines, I would have built my army as pure Deathwatch, tell you true. So its a given I'm gonna use Sternguard. Where I usually (havn't been there for a month plus, but thats due to car issues) play alot of the armies are horde types, or marine HtH. And seeing that I had plenty of tank busting weaponary and I care little for burning my whole men with plasma using combi-flamers seemed quite wise.

Of course there are none available pre-made. So one has to craft their own. And I'd like to think my converting ability above par and this is what I came up with:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/jeskasl/SANY0586.jpg

You need a flamer, a combi-plasma, a modeling knife and some glue.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/jeskasl/SANY0587.jpg

Cut the flamer in half along where the pipes connect with the bulk of the weapon.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/jeskasl/SANY0588.jpg

Now cut the plasma portion of the combi-plasma off. Make sure to leave the node on the bottom however. Also cut off the bolter barrel. It'll be to low in its molded location and needs to be moved up a bit. Just be careful with it. Its a VERY small bit and very easy to lose (havn't lost one yet myself... knock on wood).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/jeskasl/SANY0589.jpg

Now cut into the upper pipe on the flamer portion. You want the grip on the flamer portion to end up fairly flush with the bolter frame. So take it in small, slow cuts.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/jeskasl/SANY0590.jpg

With the flamer portion properly cut it should fit snuggly upon the bolter frame. Once its in place you need to glue the bolter barrel back on.

Simple, but very effective, conversion.

Those look fantastic! I wish I had more bits so I could produce some. I love the idea of the deathwatch as well. The 40k books basically set me on that path. I've been adding inquisitional shoulder pads and bolter sites onto my soon to be sternguard, but haven't done much with the combi-weapons yet.

I did something kind of similar with mine i used the combi plasme as a base, then cut straight along the line between the bolter and plasma elements.

afterwards i cut out the magazine and enough extra to form a well for it to sit in next i chopped down a flamer to fit in front of the grip and cut out part of the piping to reduce the overall length and to finish i simply added the magazine to the side of the bolter

wish i had a better pic but here goes

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/treadhead2/witchhunterinquisitorrearleft.jpg

nice work on the tutorial though dude and both of you should consider the better elements of your designs yoinked :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I do something similar but I use the plastic combi-melta from the commander sprue and put the bolter barrel above the flamer. The little melta fuel tank fits with the flamer (apart from needing to file down chest skulls to get it to fit). I cut a terminator storm bolter magazine in half as well, and glue it in place of the sickle mag, so it goes with the metal sternguard bolt guns.

Reason is I had loads of spare metal combi-meltas, but not many combi-plasmas.

As an aside save the fuel tank from the flamer and attach it to assault marines with flamers with running legs as spare fuel. Flared out at an angle it really adds to the sense of motion. Waste not, want not :)

Using the terminator plastic heavy flamer nozzle, and the plastic multi-melta from the devastator box, you can acheive a nice heavy flamer for sternguards as well.

Very nice conversion though, I hadn't thought to use the combi-plasma.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Glad it worked out for you :)

Rindaris, a great tutorial, thanks a bunch. Having just started my Deathwatch counts as Sternguard myself, a combi flamer seemed like a natural choice and I was impressed at how good the finish product looked.

If I may offer a little extra - as the weapon was for my Deathwatch squad, I wanted it to look as close to the deathwatch bolters as possible. So on top of what you did, I added a few extra steps that I might share with everyone.

Tools:

Knife

File

Greenstuff

Scope and small pouches, available from the tactical marine sprues.

1) Glue the scope to the top of the bolter.

2) Being careful, I cut the small pouches (you need four per gun) just below where the flap sits. Keep the top bits.

3) I then go about filing these pouch portions from the back, just a little in order to decrease the thickness a little.

4) I then glued the pouch portions approximately where the bullet chamber releases are. I glued two pouches to each side, and with the cut sides facing together. If done neatly, they will sit flush together.

5) After the pouches have fully dried, cut a small slither of greenstuff from your block. Use the back of a ruler (remember to wet the ruler first so it doesn't stick to the greenstuff) and roll out a thin line, to represent the cable that runs from the back of the bolter to the scope on the deathwatch bolters.

6) Carefully glue this in place, with one end running from the scope to the end of the bolter in a gentle curve.

I can try and get a picture if you like, I just found these small additions to really make them stand out as Deathwatch combi flamers.

Cheers,

Chris.

Archived