Additions/alterations: Imperial Fists

AlexCrute

Right then. To give my nascent force some real teeth and roundness, and show an indication of how Court Jester's yellow recipe has impacted my life, I present the following:

gallery_11030_1089_62045.jpg

They are 2 sergeants, 2 heavy weapons troopers, 3 bolter chaps, two plasma gunners, a rhino and a phalanx of dreadnoughts. Amongst them are assorted conversions, assorted magnets, and assorted rubbish era-gone-by paintjobs.

Now before you all go "what the hell is that peachy pastel rubbish colour doing on a marine?", just understand that yellow ink, like the Emperor himself, works in mysterious ways....

So in time honoured fashion I encourage you to perform those most important of functions facilitated by this board; Brothers, exhort me to continue, sprinkle C and C in a liberal fashion and leave me in no doubt of the fate that awaits those unfortunates who start a thread like this but never update

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you'll be pleased to know I haven't been sleeping. I have in fact been painting.

Proof:

gallery_11030_1089_80662.jpg

Bonus proof:

gallery_11030_1089_30910.jpg

So, with local nemesis showing up for a game on Friday, will these be done in time to join battle, or will my 2 month old succeed in distracting me with vomit and cuteness? The fate of a dodgy map campaign hangs in the balance!

Stay tuned for the next episode of Real Life vs Fistblog....

The colours show up pretty much spot on in the photos. That's what they look like, what I meant is that my painting doesn't look that neat in real life.

Not sure if that's good or bad?

They're not canary, it's quite a strong deep yellow. Rich and golden, but bright. Well you can see the photos I spose.

Anyway, you requested a tutorial, I will outline my method:

Spray white undercoat (important!)

Paint/spray my thinned peachy mix on*.

Thinned pure skull white highlight - you want milk consistency, and 2 passes with the same white mix give 2 levels of highlight - one narrower line one over the top of a wider highlight. The top highlight is almost completely opaque white.

Yellow ink bath (well, almost, paint it on everywhere). My yellow ink is 50/50 water with a touch of fiery orange, but that was more experiment than anything, not really necessary.

Undiluted brown ink blacklining - thinning this makes it suck really bad. Undiluted is important.

Chainmail bits.

Black ink over chainmail bits - with chainmail drybrush to rescue where black ink goes on too strong.

Black bolter nd shoulderpad trim.

Adeptus battlegrey highlight on black.

Knarloc green details (eyes, wreaths). Green ink over this (not on eyes yet, too scared. Might get around to it).

Mechrite red on any wingy-looking bits and chest eagles, assorted lenses, purity seals. Thinned mechrite red hardly even needs a highlight at all.

Khemri brown leather bits and base for paper and bone bits.

Brown ink blacklining on leather and paper, but not on bone.

Bleached bone on bone and paper bits.

Skull white highlight on bone and paper, maybe.

*This was mixed by hand with subsequent batches mixed up by eye - not terribly precise, but something like 4 parts skull white to 1 part fiery orange

Cripes that tutorial looks longer than it feels. Maybe that's why I am so slow :D

Dunno what I am gonna do for the plasma coil. Anybody got an easy recipe for that?

MY personal method for plasma coils is to paint them with 2 parts goblin green 1 part shull white, wash in dark green ink and highlight in scorpion green with the odd extreme faint skull white highlight.

The only thing I can think of at a cursory glance is that it appears that some yellow ink or paint has gotten onto a few knee joints and it only really shows because they are metal. It may just be reflected light though.

Otherwise, very clean marines. I like them.

Progress report:

Have started the peachy-puke colour on 4 more marines, (including multimelta, plasma gun, a bolter dude and a sergeant who has 7 or 8 arm options) and have done the yellow on a dreadnought's body.

I think I'll finish the dreadnought before the marines cos that will round out my Hall of Honour collection to a neat 1000 pts.

Huzzah! Cookie for me!

Pics to follow.

Thanks for the kind words folks. ;)

@ Harkainos - Blacklining (I suppose I should call it brownlining) is done with the fine detail brush, carefully placing the undiluted ink in the corners/cracks/whatever. I have heard of others blacklining by starting from black undercoat then painting basecoat up to the line, but frankly that's too difficult on marines where hard crisp lines are important. It might be easy to do on cloth-based of flesh-based models like guard or orks, but I've found that marine models reward fanatical neatness.

Absolutely do not wash the brown/black ink on! That will make you (and me) cry!

@ Shrewsgod - yeah I know what it's like, it only took me 10 years to find this recipe :)

Archived