Salamanders 4th Battle Company

Muctar

Here's some pics of my first tac squad Sallie. He's pretty much finished with the exceptions of the chapter symbol and flaming squad designations on his pauldrons. I figured that I'd put him up for review before I try those out. Kind of afraid I'll botch the flames and will make him less glorious than I currently consider him to be :) Overall I think it's a pretty good job for my first try ever. Let me know what you think!

gallery_38178_2622_15452.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_29429.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_17287.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_2987.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_2669.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_12351.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_11270.jpg

Thanks everyone! That welcome makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :P

I'd say add a highlight/darker colour to the eyes to actually make them look like lenses and not just different coloured parts of the armour

How do I do that for lenses? Just a darker shade of yellow on them at the back?

• 4 weeks later...

Update: 2 more models done! Used a different painting method for these guys. Used several layers of dry brushing for the base green, and refined my highlighting a bit. Took a while to get these two finished since life has been really busy lately. I plan on picking up the pace though, since the more of these guys I get done, the better the squad is shaping up. Gives me the drive to work on them a little more :rolleyes: Feel free to comment and ask questions. I love getting feedback.

Note: This time I highlighted the eyes as well as added a white dot to simulate light reflection and a bit of orange at the bottom of the lens to simulate that solar flare look some lenses have.

gallery_38178_2622_8097.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_13830.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_19833.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_23442.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_26287.jpg

Actually, some beautiful work. My first marines were a simple amalgamation of red paint. Your first tries, on the other hand, seem to have a good concept of light, reflection, and a sturdy hands!

:rolleyes:

Seriously? Your first mini? Awesome work!

I don't post much in the PC&A section, because I'm really not that great a painter. Just slow :P

That said, can I offer three bits of advice that don't take long to do, but really enhance the models?

1. Metalics almost always look better if you give them a wash of black ink and then pick out the highlights again after.

2. Similarly, some of the crevices on the legs, etc., could benefit from a bit of inking. A very little bit of watered down black ink looks great on everything. Even after you've painstakingly highlighted the model.

3. If you drybrush a bit of boltgun metal onto the ridges of the, um, rebreather (?) part of the helmet, it again, offers good aesthetic returns on not much effort. ++Edit: Looks like you've done exactly that on the finished model :)

These are not criticisms at all - I think you've done some great work there. Just hoping to pass on what I've learned from better painters than myself.

Thanks for all the comments, I really do appreciate them ;)

I'll make sure to try inking next. I've meant to get some but I haven't had the chance. Next time I travel I'll make sure to pick some up and try it out.

• 1 month later...

Well after a nearly 2 month hiatus from posting here on the B&C I'm back! :no: Been ridiculously busy, but I won't retell the whole thing here. If you want that you're invited to take a look at MY BLOG. But for those of you who like to cut to the chase, I'm cutting right now ;) Here's marines #4-8 from my first tac squad. This group contains 3 bolters, 1 flamer, and 1 meltagun. I've also used some new techniques to add some character to each model, such as using a dark wash in the crevices and an extreme highlight on the hard-points just above the washed areas to better contrast the light/shadowy areas. I've tried to use as many of your previous comments and criticisms as I could to better these models. I hope you like them.

gallery_38178_2622_20919.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_26205.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_4545.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_2575.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_20074.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_12034.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_414.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_21949.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_3242.jpg

Please let me know what you think of this latest batch I've pumped out. Questions and comments are always well received here, since it's the only way to get better.

Oh and I only have 2 models left to do in this tac squad: a grenadier and the sergeant. I hope to get them done quickly over the holidays, but with a lot of detail in each, especially the sergeant. He's got no helmet, but does have the re-breather, chainsword, and bolt pistol. If you have any good suggestions for interesting ways I could paint my sarge, let me know. I see him as a way to test my skills I've gained up until now :)

They are lookin' good. Freehand chapter badges are nice, I've never been able to get a badge to "fill" the pad so effectively without looking strange.

I could only notice from the pic with the two special weapons - it looks like you've got a very fine texture from your primer (could be primer or temperature when undercoating)

Flames are good, however if you thin down your paints a bit and use more layers it'll look even nicer. Maybe worth it for the sarge.

I think I'm just as impressed with how well your first army is coming out. You're catching alot of details that move new member don't see or appreciate. I love all the freehands stuff you're doing as well. :)

My only bit of advice for the future squads is to shake the heck out of the primer bottle before spraying. And then spray in a room temp setting. I've made the mistake of not shaking the can up for at least 10 solid minutes myself in the past. That way the glue can evenly mix with the paint in the primer can. And then spray while passing the head back and forth. That way it hits evenly and doesn't pool up on one spot or another. :)

The flames are a nice touch. Good job on the clean crisp highlights also.

:P

For your first army those look fantastic. My only suggestion would be to actually use the white Salamanders transfers, and then paint green over them, that might give you a template to make the chapter symbol look a bit more clean and uniform. But your freehand is still pretty darn good, better than mine at least!

Great job! Very similar to how I painted mine actually.

If I may, I'd like to just add two pieces of advice. The first is regarding the flames. They are very well painted, but real flames tend to go from red/orange on the outside to yellow/white in the middle. Google some pictures and you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, I'd like to echo Vash and suggest using the waterslide transfers for the chapter symbol then paint over them. I'd recommend trying them out on some spare shoulder pads first because they can be tricky to use. You will probably have to cut a few lines into the transfer to mould it to the pad, I've seen a tutorial about this somewhere (referencing the Sallies symbol in particular) but I can't remember where exactly.

Apart from that, I don't think there's anything I want to add. Keep it up! :D

Thanks a bunch for the comments and suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

As for the primer issue, yes it did go on really grainy so that's the issue with that, but I will not make that mistake again after this squad.

Flames are good, however if you thin down your paints a bit and use more layers it'll look even nicer. Maybe worth it for the sarge.
The first is regarding the flames. They are very well painted, but real flames tend to go from red/orange on the outside to yellow/white in the middle. Google some pictures and you'll see what I mean.

Duly noted. I'll try thinning out the layers for the flames on my last 2 models, as well as attempting the color scheme natsirtm suggested.

And for those who mentioned using the chapter symbol transfers, I'll give them another shot. As you know they can be huge pain, and my last attempt at using them left me disheartened to say the least. Though I do remember reading a topic here at the B&C about how to slice up the sallie transfers since then. I'll have to go root around to find it again and then put it all into practice and see how it turns out.

Thanks again for the help everyone. And if anyone knows how to create a nice molten lava effect paint scheme you should post it here. I'd like to try it on my sergeant's chainsword. :)

Thanks again for the help everyone. And if anyone knows how to create a nice molten lava effect paint scheme you should post it here. I'd like to try it on my sergeant's chainsword. ;)

Even though these are both lava basing here, and here; it's really the same concept.

When I painted my He'stan's spear, I gave it a simple molten effect by painting the blade black, then making a few thick lines with red gore, then thinner lines inside (leaving a little red gore showing) of blood red, then blazing orange (again thinner lines leaving some red gore and blood red showing), then bad moon yellow even thinner, and at only certain spots a dab of white here and there at the hottest points.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/2625/dsc00991dh6.jpg

This was before detailing, but you get the picture of what I mean for sure.

Duly noted. I'll try thinning out the layers for the flames on my last 2 models, as well as attempting the color scheme natsirtm suggested.

Thinning was my suggestion - it was the other guy suggesting the colour change (i'd say wait for another squad to change the colours so at least the squad matches)

And for those who mentioned using the chapter symbol transfers, I'll give them another shot. As you know they can be huge pain, and my last attempt at using them left me disheartened to say the least. Though I do remember reading a topic here at the B&C about how to slice up the sallie transfers since then. I'll have to go root around to find it again and then put it all into practice and see how it turns out.

You can also use solvent for the decals to make them fit nicer. It really does work well.

If you can, micro-set/micro-sol. If not just use a bit of white vinegar once you've got the decal placed (that's essentially what microsol is)

Talk about getting inspired and working like a madman... finished my 9th model (grenadier) on Friday. I'm only posting it now since I had to travel this weekend and I just got back. Tried to use the new flames-scheme, but I need to work on it, a lot. I think I'll just redo it so the squad matches. It was a learning experience at least. I freehanded the chapter symbol again, for continuity, but I will try the decals on my next squad as well.

I added a lot more highlights to this model, as well as base coating the breastplate with boltgun metal, then drybrushing on shining gold for a different effect.

gallery_38178_2622_6955.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_19975.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_12774.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_4677.jpg

Well now that it's the holidays and I'm not ridiculously busy I've been able to get my sergeant done. He's a huge improvement since my first model, I think. I tried using a decal then painting over it for the chapter symbol, but I don't find it turned out very well... It was quite a pain to do too ;). Though I'm especially proud of the molten lava design on the chainsword. Best paint job I've completed so far B) Let me know what you think!

gallery_38178_2622_7511.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_27520.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_16820.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_8365.jpg

gallery_38178_2622_15861.jpg

He brings to an end to the painting of my 1st Tactical Squad, with the exception of basing them. Here's the whole squad together:

gallery_38178_2622_5048.jpg

Now I'm itching to move on and continue building my army. I'll most likely be picking up the Assault on Black Reach box set as my next purchase since that's my best bet. Can't wait to get started! :)

• 5 months later...

Big update! Thought this tread was dead? Just to let you know, I'm a master of revival. :) Anyhow, lots of interesting stuff to report so I'll get right to it. First off is everything I've got painted to date. Lots more primed & base coated, but not worthy to note here yet.

gallery_38178_3690_4795.jpg

Tu'Shan. Not really fluffy, but I needed a chapter master, and AoBR was on hand.

gallery_38178_3690_1044742.jpg

gallery_38178_3690_328342.jpg

gallery_38178_3690_131380.jpg

gallery_38178_3690_453910.jpg

My first piece of armor that I added to my army. Rhino with Forge World doors. Got them in a trade so I decided to use them

gallery_38178_3690_1134163.jpg

The other side door has the same shield as this one, just smaller.

gallery_38178_3690_266696.jpg

My dread with multi-melta & DCCW w/ heavy flamer. I also have him magnetized so I can put an assault cannon and missile launcher on him as well. :)

gallery_38178_3690_202632.jpg

gallery_38178_3690_465610.jpg

My 4th company captain. Put the plasma pistol on him so that I can use him as my Sicarius equivalent if I please.

gallery_38178_3690_722055.jpg

gallery_38178_3690_976389.jpg

Devastators with 4x heavy bolters

gallery_38178_3690_1073308.jpg

gallery_38178_3690_769642.jpg

2nd tactical squad. They need their flame honour badges, but I'm getting around to it...

gallery_38178_3690_188054.jpg

So that's what I've been up to. Hopefully once my summer vacation starts I'll be able to plow through a whole lot of my army to get them looking acceptable. Love having painted units while playing :lol: As always, comments & advice is welcome.

Archived