Landraider... Or Landraider?

Grey Mage

So Ive got 60 Bucks sitting on my dresser for gaming this month... I can get four things... and Im mostly interested in hearing what people think of the three landraider variants. Options are: 4 WGBG termies. Landraider. Landraider Crusader. New Landraider-Flamer.

I can see alot of pros to both the Landraider and the Crusader. Lascannons are great, armor 14 is good, and so is the ability to unleash firepower equal to a squad of greyhunters while hauling around a large BC squad. I dont have a landraider of either type yet, and Im a little nervous about the investment.

So.... what would you choose.

if you really want a LR, wait till the new plastics come out for the LRC/LRR. i plan on getting one because they both are really great for assulting. the Redeemer has the flame template S:6 AP:3 so even though it is lacking range it still packs a punch. you can always do what i plan to with it as well....magnets anyone? yep a small piece of metal (i usually use an old thumbtack) and a small rare earth magnet work wonders.

I agree with Ullr, wait for the new set, then magnetize the weapon options.

I've been using a Crusader to much success over the standard LC variant, our company benefits the most out of it over the other 2 because of the larger capacity to store more BC's, HQ's, and fenrisian wolves!

I've seen a few people play test the new redeemer (the flamer variant) and it's not very successful, for the most part you get one sponson capable of hitting a unit (have yet to see one where you get to use both sponsons unless it's tyranids) and after that there's a hell of chainfists, power fists, and meltas up close to pop the land raider. It's something you'll have to try out for yourself though.

I put my vote in for the crusader.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the Crusader. It was my first and only LR model and it has yet to do me wrong. I think the redeemer is going to run into the same problem that my Hellhammer ran into in that the only time that the flamer sponsons come into play is when you are facing dedicated anti-tank squads right in your face. Now, the hellhammer can soak up the punishment that makes this an acceptable risk, where Armor 14 with no structure points makes this a whole lot more risky. I'd say stick with the crusader. Moving 6" you can still fire all it's weapons (melta for keeping 6", use power of the machine spirit for the AC since it's twin linked, and the hurricane bolters can be fired no matter how far it moved).

Also a crusader can transport 14 blood claws, wolf guard pack leader and an attached independant character and allow them to assault in the turn they leave the crusader

or

7 wolf guard in TDA, with 3 heavy weapons, and a wolf guard battle leader in TDA with a heavy weapon.

Icewolf

defiantly go with the crusader is the most versital tank, high troop capacity and lots of fire power pus in 5th ed its the only tank that can still move 6 and and fire almost all of its weapons. standard LR will only get 1 laz shot if it moves or it can fire its heavy bolter. the crusader gets to fire both its hurricane bolters and ether its multimelta or its assault cannon. crusader all the way.

By now i already own one Crusader and one regular LR. I love them both and will definitely get me a Redeemer and field them all three in one big game. :lol:

I want to see the look in my enemies face :)

For the choice on which exactly YOU should choose, simply wait till next C:SM is in your hands or your list for your army is already complete and then simply ask yourself what benefit which LR would give you for your type of play.

But be aware of one thing the most: LRs are supposed to be Taxis as they usually deliver your most vicious assault squads into CC safely. And this unit chooses the LR in first place as it depends on the units size which Lr it should be.

LRC Best Black Templar and Terminator Taxi out there!

LR good Veteran Taxi and suitable for the secondary Termie squad.

LRR good Veteran Taxi and suitable for secondary Terminator taxi against horde armies.

Next to that the weapons are only for assistance to the squad.

Fielding a LR of any kind to be a heavy weapon platform is a poor point sink as there are better choices for that out there.

This brings up a funny story when I tank shocked an ork warboss backing up and he did death or glory and failed... it was just a great sight.

This was done with a crusader by the way, so yea... pick the crusader like everyone else said, they agree with me... :lol:

It supports the way space wolves play as well, get up close for the charge, unleash bolter hell and have them come git some! :)

*joygasm*

WolfLordLars - You dont own a green jumpsuit with black question marks on it do you?

I have a Crusader and LR at the mo, and the crusader gives my friend the most headaches, but he plays eldar so its perfect for that situation.

I'll be definitely getting the redeemer variant, magnets are my friends!

I tend to find that my Crusader's hurricane bolters dont pack much of a punch against marines though ;) the Redeemer seems good for that with the AP 3 flamers (yummy). My mate said he heard from someone at GW HQ a new LR variant is being looked at for the Space Wolves, something like 2 twin linked assault cannon sponsons and a heavy bolter in the middle, but dont hold me to that. It would be very nice though, 2x twin linked assault cannons? DROOL!

I tend to find that my Crusader's hurricane bolters dont pack much of a punch against marines though :rolleyes: the Redeemer seems good for that with the AP 3 flamers (yummy). My mate said he heard from someone at GW HQ a new LR variant is being looked at for the Space Wolves, something like 2 twin linked assault cannon sponsons and a heavy bolter in the middle, but dont hold me to that. It would be very nice though, 2x twin linked assault cannons? DROOL!

Is this like the time you talked about the space wolves codex coming out soon and your "friend" is legit and all that?

You can't post your rumors anymore, you already "cried wolf" (pun intended) once and it's been proven you don't give a hoot.

This land raider variant has also been discussed a while back (over a year I think) right here on the B&C. Called something like an "assault raider".

Excuse me but this and that are two seperate things, dont believe me if you dont want to, but dont whine or try to have a go.

So you're saying it's a different person then?

Either way, I'm straying from the topic here, I just wanted you to know that your words carry less of a weight now that you've posted falsely, if you want more credibility, I suggest you wait for a picture, or some other form of documentation to help your story along.

I wouldn't mind having a mass of assault cannons everywhere, but currently with S4 being defensive, I'll be only firing 2 AC's instead of all of them. So it may sound terrorizing at first, but until you actually deliver your cargo, it's just as effective, if not less, than a crusader is (depending on the capacity, if it's less than a crusader it's worse, if it's the same then they're about equal).

If they were planning on coming out with a land raider like this, I would imagine it'd be more along the lines of a release with the blood angels, since they make more use out of assault cannons over any other SM chapter.

Now, off topic I know but this idea just rubs me so right. But a 13th Co. style LR would be cool. (Just wishing out loud here.) But how bout a LR with Plasma cannon sponsons, front mounted HF's, (would have to have a special rule about shooting over your own models that just disembarked), and a teleport homer in place of the Multi Melta option? (As the 13th teleported frequently.) Now this would never happen but I've always thought how much I hated how 13th co. never had a vehicle and asked myself why? Because none of them would last thousands of years on the eye of terror save it be the toughest of vehicles. And that's when I though of this little guy.

Back on topic, get the Crusader. The ability to get to your target, deliver your cargo, and have sufficient shooting power is unmatched.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it seemed more sensible than starting a new one on the same subject. What LR would people choose if you include them *all*? So you can now choose between the standard LR, LRC, LRR, Terminus Pattern LR, LR Promethius, heresy-era FW LR, and LR Helios (i'm ignoring the Ares as there is no simple way to make one). Obviously the LRC/LRR stands out immediately due to the possibility of magnetising to effectively get 2 tanks from the 1 kit. Do any of the others rate anywhere near as highly?

edit: oops, sorry, just noticed that this thread is in the SW forum (i found it via search). I am talking about for a codex chapter.

I tend to find that my Crusader's hurricane bolters dont pack much of a punch against marines though ;) the Redeemer seems good for that with the AP 3 flamers (yummy). My mate said he heard from someone at GW HQ a new LR variant is being looked at for the Space Wolves, something like 2 twin linked assault cannon sponsons and a heavy bolter in the middle, but dont hold me to that. It would be very nice though, 2x twin linked assault cannons? DROOL!

Now where have i seen that landraider before? Why yes some BA players converted one just like that a few years ago, it looked cool. As to whether it turns up or not who knows.

I personally have 2 landraiders and 1 landraider crudader. The crusader works really well but now i want the big flame one. good against entrenched enemies and marine armour. not sure what the capacity is

Archived