Modelling: Sternguard Combi-flamers

Marius Perdo

Well, I started converting Sternguard to have combi-flamers for my Silver skulls army a while ago. Rindaris does a very good one based on the combi-plasma here.

However that never occured to me as I needed the combi-plasmas I had, and I had a load of the metal combi-meltas. So I did it with plastics. You will need the following:

gallery_27755_2641_538659.jpg

Basically a plastic flamer, a plastic commander combi-melta, and a plastic terminator storm bolter with a double ammo drum.

Cut them apart carefully as shown below:

gallery_27755_2641_925348.jpg

Keep the flamer's spare fuel bottle, the combi-melta's barrel, the combi-melta's sickle magazine, and the other half of the storm bolters ammo drum (you splice it in half down the middle so you can do two combi-/Sternguard bolt guns with it). I use these bitz for other conversions, but more on those another day ;)

Now, align them for assembly as shown below:

gallery_27755_2641_446286.jpg

At this stage some filing may be required to make sure everything aligns correctly and is flush. Also you'll probably need to file the min-melta tank down slightly on the other side, so it looks like a flamer tank but also so it doesn't clash with chest eagle skulls etc if the end minitaure is holding it a two handed firing position if right handed.

Glue together, drill the bolt gun barrels, and the flamer nozzle, and you get something like this:

gallery_27755_2641_1254277.jpg

As you may have seen in Work In Progress here, I have a squad already with two. This one is for a left handed mark VI Sternguard I am going to do.

gallery_27755_2641_500294.jpg

Now, as for the spare flamer bottle I mentioned to keep? You can do this with it:

gallery_27755_2641_983367.jpg

I think it adds to the sense of motion, of charging forth and burning the Emperor's enemies! :)

Downloading some freebie trials for image editing software. Ever since I went to Vista 64 Ultimate (which it really, really isn't) a lot of my old software doesn't work. Used to use Paint Shop Pro 7.

I had no idea it was an issue, the image are only a coupla 100K tops, and I get no problems. I just assume everyone has 8 Meg+ connections I guess, been in IT too long :nuke:

Also my pants photography skills don't help...

I had no idea it was an issue, the image are only a coupla 100K tops, and I get no problems.

Actually they average at 170k each. 1 Meg in total for Pete's sake. Just because you get no problems is no reason to inflict it on other people.

Downloading some freebie trials for image editing software. Ever since I went to Vista 64 Ultimate (which it really, really isn't) a lot of my old software doesn't work. Used to use Paint Shop Pro 7.

Using nothing but the miracle of MSPaint (which is all you need for cropping and resizing pictures, especially of unpainted minis) and 5 minutes work I present to you:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Wh40k/Other/1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Wh40k/Other/2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Wh40k/Other/3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Wh40k/Other/4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Wh40k/Other/5.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Wh40k/Other/6.jpg

Which have a grand total of 170k. Yeah, I can get 6 pics where you get one.

@ Juckto

You know, in life it is often not what you say but how you say it. Manners cost nothing you know. Inflict also suggests a deliberate or maliscious act, which it wasn't. Being rude aside, thanks for reducing the examples, but as I said when I got the software I'd modify them when I had time, and to be honest I haven't looked at MS Paint in years (didn't even realise it was on my new machine, but sure enough it is). However in this case it is sharing how to do it that motivates me primarily.

The images on my PC are 1.5 MB each for example, so I'd thought I'd reduced them a fair bit at uploading anyway. I get the feeling some people are still on dial up or with very tight fisted ISPs. Then again I could say that is their problem and not mine, as I am feeling somewhat harsh with my hangover as I was out on a stag do last night.

@ Sigismund Himself

Not sure what the Librarium is, quite new here really as this whole size posting debacle probably shows. Sure, knock yourself out mate, I put it up to share, it is the whole point of it really :)

@ Trajan

Yep, plastic multi-melta/terminator heavy flamer fusion/hybrid. I'd post a tutorial on it, I have offered elsewhere, but I seem to be in danger of having my own promethium weapons turned on me :jaw: Sorry, couldn't resist B)

Erm...Okay, if you think it is good enough.

However it looks like someone turned it into a far more polished article than I've done (I am refering to Rindaris' one). Not sure what images you want to use, I need to write to a moderator to work out a compromise...having some who knows what they are doing would be a good start i.e. not me :D

It's more than good enough :( The ideas and explanation are the important bits, we can always edit the pictures as long as they aren't blurry. I've taken some of your pics, edited them to include some arrows and reduce the size a little, cleaned up some of the wording and made it into an article, that has been published in the Librarium here. If you feel any changes need to be made, hit the Edit button at the end of the article.

Now it's been published, it gets this:

gallery_21629_1792_12796.gif

Thanks for the tutorial :D

• 3 weeks later...

@ Sigismund Himself

Looks good to me mate, and as for blurry images I think mine being too sharp, and thus large, was the main problem. Thanks for what you did ^_^ However I have editing software now so in future they will be sharp without being HUGE. Never did hear from a moderator though.

As for the other conversions they aren't anything clever. Just use the flamer bottle as a spare on running assault marines (or any running marines with flamers) to add to the sense of motion (I do something similar with holstered bolt pistols).

The meltagun nozzle will feature in my conversion beamer as a doohicky wotsit doo-dad. A technical term or metasyntatic variable :)

The magazine clip will be used to increase the length of the one on a boltgun by splicing, to be used on the old chestnut of a marine reloading his boltgun, or the old one lying spent on the base.

Now, does anyone want me to do something similar with the heavy flamer conversion? I desire another one as I like burning orks.

Incidentally it my be a while, I got a cortizone injection into my right wrist (and I am right handed) which quite frankly hurts like being smashed in the nuts with a thunder hammer...all the time. So off work (again) but even typing this is a ball ache (doing it left handed, slow, tedious, and prone to errors...a little bit like life at times). Thus my absence of late.

Sounds very painful. Hope you recover soon. Or learn how to type left handed ;)

Now, does anyone want me to do something similar with the heavy flamer conversion? I desire another one as I like burning orks.

The answer would be an enthusiastic yes B)

Archived