New Apocalypse 50K point army WIP

I know that I'm nuts to convert Epic mentality into Apocalypse bankrupt, however, I still love the fluff, behind the scenes battle preps and planning, Chapter timelines, specific characters, and just couldnt miss out on a huge amount of special deals to sink into the WH40K big guys world (I've been an Epic nut for a long long time). Edited by Lord Castellan Mik

I've in a WIP mode building an Ultramarine Apocalypse force. I've collected almost all the figs, now in build and paint mode. Almost 50,000 points when finished. I have not seen many threads anywhere that shows or even follows building a 10,000 plus force. So, I'm doing it.

Building first... then painting.

The Force...

Half Veteran Company (1st... as Terminators, considering Veteran squads as well)

Full Battle Company (still deciding between 2nd and 5th... I've got Masters of the Chapter and the new Sicarius fig creates a thought to convert his character into Galenus)

Full reserve Tac Company (6th)

Partial reserve Tac Company (7th)

Still to get Scout element (10th)

10x Dreadnoughts

2x Line Breaker Sqns

2x Fire Supression Force

2x Armoured Spearheads (plus a couple of extra LR)

10x Predator (Destructor / Anhilator)

Marneus Calgar and Honour Guard

Masters of the Chapter

Tigurius and Cassius

Techmarines (x3) and Servitors

Still to get Drop Pods (x10)

Still to get land speeder force (x5-10)

Still to get bike force (x5-10)

phew.

Projects include converting Black Reach Terminators and Dreadnoughts using existing individual boxed set weapons; converting Sicarius from Masters of the Chapter into Galenus; creating additional Honour Guard for the Marneus Galgar HQ formation; and a Terminator command squad; to start with.

I'm very new to blogs and posting pics.

The Force is still in basic build mode... lots of boxes tho, if you want a pic of that.

I've spent a lot of time working on fluff stuff - who is where and how many, etc.

Some hostility from some readers so far... I thought sharing was one of the other fun bits to gaming.

I still have a lot of questions re wargear, transports, manning, etc.

Anyone intrested?

I think the main problem is the lack of pics, people have become so accustomed to pics in wip threads that they demand them, in another way though, even a pic of the hordes of sprue you had would probably quiet the masses, so to speak.

I'm rather excited to see how this pans out myself, and would love to see a more detailed list planned out, /some rough pics posted. I dont think the board has had anything attempted on this scale of single miniatures, should be rather interesting :)

I'm sorry to say that pics will follow as soon as I gain confidence and guidance (ASAP).

However, info I can give...

I was in the Armourd Corps (Army Reserve) as a M113 APC crewman. When I became a crew commander, tactics were often worked out using a scale model table. 300th scale micro armour vehicles and the table was created to match a local training area. The table was 2off 20' x 8' which represented about 25 km of map terain. I got hooked and bought my own micro armour force both modern and WWII.

I now wanted some infantry to go with my APCs. The available stuff at the time was a wisp of metal on a stick. Until I found a box of Epic Eldar infantry. I now had my infantry after a bit of converting. There was a booklet in the box advertising the Warhammer 40K world and within a year I had packed away my micro armour and converted fully to Epic.

In those days of Epic (Space Marine 2nd ed), I had over 15 Companies of Ultramarines plus Titans (3 Imperator, 12 Warlord, 8 Warhound, 18 Knights), lots of armour (over 50 vehicles including Baneblades) plus medium forces of Orcs, Eldar, Squats, Chaos and IG. I used to play on an old table tennis table (9' x 5'). I still have every piece.

I dabbled in 40K in the 2nd ed era as well as Space Crusade and Space Hulk. But I loved the Company and Battlegroup formations and lots of armour.

I eventually got into 40K 4th ed and at the same time read about Apocalypse - comming soon... Damn, I had some spare money and my mind went ballistic. Lucky for me I have an understanding wife, a big house, and the kids have all left home. A plan for possible divorce and bankruptcy was hatched

The plan (part 1)

I had played marines a lot in Epic, with the advent of LOTS of tanks as special deals for Apocalypse I chose to have an IG (Cadian) army.

I pre ordered all the Apocalypse bits and pieces (rules, templates, dice, etc); an IG Company deal, 6x Baneblades, 3x Basilisk bateries, an Emperors Fist LR tank Coy, 3x LR Demolishers, 3x Hellhounds, IG Codex, and I was set. The stuff from GW were great deals saving heaps, the majority from my local independant stockist were 25% off - more savings.

When it all arrived, I got greedy and hooked deaply into a full IG battlegroup (4 - 5 tank coys, a battalion (4 coys) comprised of 2 infantry coys, Iron Fist coy, Stormtrooper coy (Cadian Kasrkin), and god am I waiting for a plastic Valkyrie (I want at least 12).

So I started cleaning, clipping sorting, storing, and eventually building my IG army. Then, my job changed hands, we all stayed working for the new company, then we got a hell of a termination payout. My wallet was armed and of to GW... for a look at IG extras... I went.

The Space Marine Battle Company box was a direct sales only item, so they couldn't tempt me, and I was happy with my IG army. Then I turned around and there was a Battle Coy box sitting on the floor. Begging me to buy it.

Castellian, just take a picture of your ammassment of boxes, go to photobucket, make an account, upload the pic in "large" size. Get the "direct" link, look at your toolbar for replying, look at the little image of a sunrise, click on it, paste the direct link into it. finish.

GO.

Crappy pictures are good too. You'll definitely get SO many more responses, people watching the thread, and congratulations and such.

Edit: reading your last post...HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

but whats a coy? There aren't any plastic Valkyries yet, they're still resin from Forgeworld. But I think it would have been MUCH easier to get to 50,000 pts with a non-swarm army..but Have fun =-D

Edited by Shortsonfire79

The plan (part 2)

The IG army was easy planning - lots of stuff, 2 coy of this, 3 coy of that, multiples of everything.

But marines are different... as you all know so well. I chose Ultramarines, because I like codex chapters, I love the Roman and greek influences, I find the restritive confines a blessing - coz you are dealing with a gigantic admin system which confirs a realistic military approach - you can not just do what you want. Of course GW built in that option if you want to take that path... however I choose not to - I feel that you have to use strategy and tactics instead of point stacking. but as I've said before that's my choice - it's my game. Which is another reason for my madness... I have enough room, more or less enough spare cash, and enough figs to form TWO Apocalypse size forces - I'm also an experienced solo player - I can play two different tactical forces, and have for years.

My old table tennis table was a bit small for Apocalypse, so I got 3 ply boards 6' x 4' and placed them ontop which now gives me a new 12' x 6' table. The room is a rumpus room about 20' square... TONS of room.

Then Assault for Black Reach was advertised. <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>... I needed some Terminators and Dreadnoughts, so I worked out the math, organised my formations, checked out the savings - 25% off an allready unbelievable deal. So I bought 10 boxes.

Next on my list is some Terminator and Dreadnought weapon bits from GW and I can convert some distinction into my new 100 Tactical Marines and 50 Terminators as well as close to 100 other marines from the past incarnations.

Next problem: now I have an Ork army - 50 Nob, 200 Boyz, 30 Defcopters. Now I need some Ork bits and pieces for my third Apocalypse force.

Coy is Company; Hope rumours are correct that sometime 2009/10 plastic Valkyries are being released... I can wait.

Hope this pic setup works

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0253.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0254.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0255.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0256.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0257.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0258.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0259.jpg

They show my workshop area, a 2 door wardrobe FULL of IG and Marine boxes, and Black Reach boxes with assembled Marine Force.

Edited by Lord Castellan Mik

The plan (part 3)

I will not refer to my IG army WIP on this forum, unless I get a specific request... Is that OK with everyone?

This is a breakdown of what I've got, not yet got, and need to convert / create

Chapter Master Marneus Galgar and his Honor Guard... I like the new command formation and will be adding more Honor Guard

Masters of the Chapter... As I said earlier; the new Sicarius fig creates a thought to convert his character into Galenus for the 5th Battle Company - 2nd and 4th have great fluff but I want something I can create as well

Tigurius and Cassius... I want to give them both Command squads as they will be Chapter specific IC groups

Techmarines... I have the full harness direct sales fig and the boxed set; I want a few (5-10) single servo TM (to go with the 1 I have); I have a thought to create a Tech Cult component - Skitari, Magos, converted vehicles, etc

5th Coy: full strength Battle Company

I've got over 150 more Tactical Marines (Black Reach and older incarnations)... I am considering adding a few Assault and Dev squads to create 2 more Battle Coy (under strength) - 1 being a drop pod formation, the other in home world / off world bastion defence mode (my IG force would be PD) along with Chapter Armoury vehicles

I've still to get a Scout force... Sgt Telion with about 30-50 scouts (sniper, bike, speeder configurations)

1st Company... Terminators - I have 50 from Black Reach, if I get heavy weapon and CC bits from GW then I can convert some differences into the squads.

Dreadnoughts... Same as above, I have 10 all the same. If I get another couple I could se the multiple weapon options to change a few. Also, I know that the consensus is 3 or 4 per Company, however, I have provided options for multiple Coy and the use of the Chapter Armoury.

Vehicles... With the addition of Sgt Chronos, most of the formations will be attached to Coys and Chapter Armoury defence.

How's that so far

Holy crap<DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>, your wallet must be rather large to host enough money to buy all of that :sweat:

The backstory to why you wanted the army was interesting, and wow, looks like your well planned for your project.

As for your IG army, if you want to share it with us, you can't do it on this board, but theres a fair few others which will accommodate you, I know a lot of the forum frequents DakkaDakka a lot.

Anyways, look forward to seeing more progress :) Good luck.

Should try get a picture full up of what you have so far

Set up into companies

Good luck painting btw

I can guess you gonna get through paint like no ones business

Shame about the 25p price raise

:-(

I started with one Epic Space Marine 2nd ed, then I got Titanicus, then 3x Titan Legions, then I aquired another Space Marine 2nd ed.

I have 3 boys and they wanted to get into 40K, so I decided that Epic was a little difficult for all of them (ages 6 - 10 at the time) so I got 2x Space Crusade to introduce them to the world of 40K.

They loved it, so within a year I got one 40K 2nd ed for them and one for me.

They lived interstate with their mother... So we all played when I had access.

Since then, all 3 have been playing and have their own armies, and all are very heavily into networked DOW.

I've still got the original sets at my place... I don't throw anything out.

Except ex wives... some know what I mean.

wow... i must admit when i first read this post i thought you were insane or making it up or something, but i dont think ive ever seen more models than that in one place at one time, thats incredible.

wow