DIY Chapter - The Eradicators

Gafgarion

Alright! With the insane value of AoBR, I've decided to renew my marine army. Using the free white dwarf terminator I concocted a colour scheme after many attempts. Initially I wanted to try a Rainbow Warriors army, however I couldn't find a shade of blue I liked, or come up with sufficient motivation to paint them, despite my love of them.

The Eradicators are a codex chapter, with only a few subtle deviations. They venerate the Emperor as the true incarnation of their cultural God of Archery. The believe that the Aquila and the eagle are holy symbols of hunting which tie strongly to their culture. I intend to represent this archery motif largely in squad sergeants and banners, where the sergeants all have some archery paraphernalia (be it a bow or quiver or single arrow). Other than that, for practical reasons they do not diverge heavily from Guilliman's teachings.

Their chapter symbol is a red stylized wing with a lightning bolt. A nod to the Rainbow warriors on my part.

http://doonami.homestead.com/files/Termi1.jpg

And having settled on the colours, I went about to work on my scouts.

http://doonami.homestead.com/files/Scouts2.jpg

These are all intended to be table top quality. Any tips or comments on the colour selection are welcome; particularly on the wax of the purity seals! I don't really know what colour to paint them.

Thanks for taking a look.

Looks great! For a test model, that Termie is really awesome. Likeing the skull on his fist... Though, I don't see any sort of Archery markings on him... Or maybe what I don't think is IS.

For the wax of the seals, try green or red. They're the traditional colors.Good looking scouts too!

I'd suggest trying either a dark blue or dark purple for the purity seal wax. I think either would fit in with your scheme just fine, and be something a little different.

I have to admit, black and red armies bore me a bit now due to how common they're getting. You've painted them nicely though, and I like the choice of chapter icon :)

Looks great! For a test model, that Termie is really awesome. Likeing the skull on his fist... Though, I don't see any sort of Archery markings on him... Or maybe what I don't think is IS.

For the wax of the seals, try green or red. They're the traditional colors.Good looking scouts too!

Thanks about the skull, I plan to include little freehand touches like that throughout the army. But you're right, the terminator has no archery imagery on him, I found that adding anything more than this made him too cluttered.

I'd suggest trying either a dark blue or dark purple for the purity seal wax. I think either would fit in with your scheme just fine, and be something a little different.

I have to admit, black and red armies bore me a bit now due to how common they're getting. You've painted them nicely though, and I like the choice of chapter icon :)

Actually, they aren't black at all. Their main armour colour is Raw Umber by Jo Sonja's artists' colours. It is actually closer to the colour Bistre. That does mean, technically, that I have painted . . . brown marines :X I think it is forgivable though. :P

For a closer comparison, you can look at the terminator's storm bolter black, which is noticeably different to the armour :)

Hm ok. It's certainly close though, unless that's just the camera doing it's thing? If not, I really can't see them being anything more than "really dark grey", personally. The name umber would indeed imply brown, but the reality of it is that they don't look even slightly brown to me :)

Archived