Viva Metallica

metcalfedan

Hey guys, I decided to try a different angle on my crimson fists and went for a metallic styled marine:

How to paint:

1. Basecoat all the armour with mithril silver,

2. Wash with 1 layer of badab black,

3. Blue armour washed with 3 layers of asurmen blue (sp?),

4. Red armour washed with 3 layers of baal red,

5. Metal painted boltgun metal, then washed with 2 layers badab black,

6. Various other parts like pouches, purity seals, eyes and stuff painted - can't remember what colours though.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_0076.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_0077.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_0078.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_0079.jpg

Still deciding whether to do the whole army like this of not.

Please comment.

Gee thanks, It's actually really easy, you just need to build the layers and do the washes after the previous layer has dried. lol.

I'm going to start by painting the rest of a tactical squad like this, then see what I think.

Going to aim for 2 weeks. Then have the squad done, wish me luck.

This looks really good :o

although you could try doing chainmail/mithril highlights before applying the washes so it has instant made highlights :P

i would personally do the fists in normal red paint to limit the metallic feel to just the armor.

cheers Mithril

This really looks great. A full army including vehicles done this way would look great. Mind sharing the process?

:eek hallo !! did you read his post at all or just look at the pictures :P

he explains the whole process in his first post...now go read!

Mithril

If your thinking of trying it in red, you will have to make it dark before you wash the red because it does tend to go pink.

Thanks for the repies guys, started the tactical squad sergeant today. Cant wait till it's finished.

I hate you! I was getting really happy with my (labour intensive) imperial fists and now I've seen an even nicer colour scheme and it's easier to do :HQ:

seriously tho that is a really nice looking marine, and I am really considering stealing this method (despite having 3 pots of yellow ink recently bought just to do my IFs) I wonder how yellow ink over mithril silver would look? lol

WOW, I never thought this topic would be so popular. Thanks for the replies guys.

Bit of a problem though, my Mithril Silver has dried out a bit and become gooey, and it's going to be some time until I can get another one. For now I will concentrate on painting up what is basecoated and then go from there.

Also I plan on making a tutorial for metallic Crimson Fists sometime soon.

Oh and Ein Windir when i get a spare marine, I will have a go at a Luna Wolf to show you :)

Hey guys, I decided to try a different angle on my crimson fists and went for a metallic styled marine:

How to paint:

1. Basecoat all the armour with mithril silver,

2. Wash with 1 layer of badab black,

3. Blue armour washed with 3 layers of asurmen blue (sp?),

4. Red armour washed with 3 layers of baal red,

5. Metal painted boltgun metal, then washed with 2 layers badab black,

6. Various other parts like pouches, purity seals, eyes and stuff painted - can't remember what colours though.

I think there's an easier option!Vallejo series have a thing called metallic medium!You can mix it with any color and it will make it metallic.So you could mix some dark blue and this medium and you don't have to paint the mithril undercoat and do several layers of washing stages!

I think there's an easier option!Vallejo series have a thing called metallic medium!You can mix it with any color and it will make it metallic.So you could mix some dark blue and this medium and you don't have to paint the mithril undercoat and do several layers of washing stages!

I would like to try that, but two things:

1. I've already started on some marines so it would be annoying to have to start again.

2. I have no idea where to get Vallejo paints because I'm only 15, live in south east England and don't have a credit card. :)

I think I'll stick to my current method lol

Any chance of a pic of the armour between washes - I'm planning to do something like that for my grey knights and jsut wondered what they'd look like after 1 or 1 washes (or if I'd have to water down the ink - i guess you're using it 'as is' out of the pot?).

But looking very nice, may end up with some metallic veterans myself. :D

Archived