[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

Well...

It's certainly been a long time, fellow brothers! And in that time, there have been plenty of Dark Millenium projects for me, but not all of them can be shown just yet, nor did I have the time to properly post the ones I could show...

Fortunately (and after much nagging by Commissar Molotov to start this mega-thread), I have some time off today and I think I can extensively explain my motivations and share some details on the thoughts and ideas that popped into my head when I finally decided to remake al of my Primarchs and illustrate the ones I hadn't go to...

Everything started out when a client asked me for an Emperor image; quite a daunting task! But I love a challenge and The Emperor is certainly that and even more. I posted Him here on the boards to great compliments (which I'm really thankful for!) and I think it's only fitting to post him up again, just to make this thread consistent (and in case some of you want to refresh your memory):

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Libris%20Primaris/IMPERATOR.jpg

After that, I tackled Horus, at the bidding of the same client and that's when I discovered that my passion for the old Primarch legends had been rekindled. I also began forging the composition that I would later apply to al of the Emperor's Sons, thus giving them coherence and a very epic and 'portrait'-like quality that I thought was very fitting. Also, loyalists would be on our right, facing left, and viceversa for the traitors, enhancing their rivalry:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Libris%20Primaris/INFIDELISEdit.jpg

So, now I'd done the greatest antagonists in the whole history of Mankind; what next? I decided to keep at this re-imagining on my own and did a quick sketch of an updated Lion El'Jonson, using the old design I'd worked on when I first rendered him. I was very pleased with the result and I saw that my skills had improved even though I hadn't noticed it (thank goodness!) This one was much closer to my vision than the last and so I showed it with pride to my client, knowing he'd like to see it:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Libris%20Primaris/HONORABILIS.jpg

The previous image being this one (for your comparison): LEONIS PROELIATORIS

He liked it so much, in fact, that he proposed to me a project I couldn't turn down: to render all of the Primarchs in this style for him and update the ones I'd already done. I dubbed the endeavour Libris Primaris (The Book of the First) and began my work on the next remake: Sanguinius.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Libris%20Primaris/ANGELICUS.jpg

The prior image being this one (for your comparison): IN NOMINE SANGUIS

In these two images I shaped up most of what I'd continue using on the project at large, such as the Aquilla motif, adapted to each Legion iconography, and the subtle environment of the backgrounds enhacing the portrait of the Primarchs; often trying to show their homeworlds, like the Forests of Caliban, or the System of Baal seen from the wastelands of Sanguinius's abode in Baal Secundus.

I'm very pleased, and quite proud (as I've said) of how they're turning out; the client is too, and the people that have been on my deviantART Gallery will agree they've been quite successful there as well. I think I've achieved a certain level with my art that I can be happy with even though there's LOTS of room for improvement and that's mainly why I'm showing these around.

The best way to know if I'm doing the right thing (both fluff-wise and image-wise) is to ask the fans themselves; you! The brothers that have wached my art evolve from the first (now horrific -at least in my eyes-) illustrations to these pieces.

Bear in mind that I don't have a lot of time these days and will not be able to reply to all of the messages I get (in case I get any!) like I used to, though I'll try to do my best. I also won't be able to take a lot of requests for specific things you'd like to see/think should go in the imagery itself, since the client is the one to have the final call on these, BUT, I do like to have my fluff right, so any indications/suggestions/opinions/critiques are MORE than welcome. It's why I'm posting these after all!

Thsi thread will be, thus, a chronicle of all the Primarchs, which will be posted as I finish them, one by one.

So, I leave you now with my latest illustration in this project: the Iron Warrior's Primarch Perturabo.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Libris%20Primaris/MACHINATOR.jpg

I liked this one because of the sheer bulk of the armour, that looks like a siege-wall indeed. I also liked the details on Forgebreaker and the background, with the siege turrets firing away and the subtle hint of the Imperial city behind it.

You'll be the judges, brothers! I hope to hear whatever you can think of, from compliments to the most terrible critique and see you all soon with the next in line: a remake of my famous Rogal Dorn!

Until soon!

Aerion the Faithful

Edited by Aerion the Faithful

Finally :devil: Good to see these guys.

The Lion is nicely done. The previous piece you did of the Lion really seemed to have a lot of emotion in it, something this piece doesn't seem to have quite as much of. He looks a little too at peace with himself in this one.

Sanguinius looks quite noble in this one. In your previous work he looked quite feral but in this one, his regalness is really shown.

Perturabo grows on me each time I look at him. The little details really show here and it comes off well. The only criticism I would make is that the background needs a bit more colour. I know you don't want to detract from the focus too much but a few more patches of colour in the background would enhance the piece overall, I think.

Wow! Perty turned out fantastic! :devil: I am amazed to see the progress of your art since I have known you. I hadn't really noticed the improvement until I looked at the art side by side. Your faces are my favorite part. They art gaining so much character and humanity.

So who's next? To be fair you need another traitor (Go Mortarion!!) but I agree that a Vulkan pic would be wicked cool.

-T.

I have been waiting for you to redo the Primarchs for so long, and now its finally happening. I'm really liking the new style with the backgrounds and everything, even though I liked the old style as well, because of the scenes you created(like Lion staring at his helmet, Ferrus amazed by his new hands).

The lion looked so much better than he did before, especially his face which was the one thing that I didn't like about the first one. The grey area on his hair is a very cool idea, but it doesn't look right to me. And the helmet's snout peice looks abit off too. Now, I'm no artist, but that is just how I feel. The pic is perfect otherwise.

Perturabo is just one massive peice of awsomeness! Glad too see a traitor Primarch. Only thing I can point out is that the Hammer head should have been bigger.

Can't wait to see Dorn: my fave!

I have to say mate that i think Perturabo, The Emperor and Horus are the best three, they have that something extra i think, and i especially love the armour look on Perturabo. :) Edited by Pulse

Thank you very much for the compliments and excellent review, brothers! I'm really happy that you're liking these new takes on some of my old designs (such as Sanguinius and the Lion) and approving so much the new ones, especially Perturabo.

I'd loe to address each of you individually, but as I said in my first post, tme is scarse as of late; however, I would like to say a couple of things in response to some of your comments, so you can see I've read and take them al into account!

Perturabo seems to be, by far, the best Primarch I've done up until this point, and I think it shows that with each piece I keep on improving and gaining more confidence in my colouring and overall composition and technique. I honestly can't choose one right now, as every single one of these pieces are very dear to me and I think they're all 'my best'. I really like the stren look on the Lion, for example, and the forests of Caliban behind him, as well as the shoulderpad and tones of the armour. I like Sanguinius's wings and his aloft look, as if he was truly superior; oh, and the Moons of Baal! I like those a GREAT deal. Perturabo, Horus and the Emperor, you've all said pretty much how I feel about them.

As for your critiques, I do see what you say regarding some thing being 'off', though not particularly in the Sanguinius piece, as pointed out. There are always small thing to tune up, and as the images move forward I think I'll achieve a reasonable point of 'all around cool'.

The gray-ish hair on the Lion was intended to stand out a bit more, as well as the snout on the helmet, to provide a sort of 'veteran' look to him. I always pictured him as middle-aged.

The Hammer of Perturabo is something I discussed with Molotov and Tiberius, and I told them that if it'd been bigger, it would've detracted a bit from the whole, since the added lightning power would've eaten up a LOT of space; also, the backgroud on him is slightly more gray and colourless, to sort of merge it with the armour and the no-nonsense nature of this Primarch's creations.

Ideally, I'll be working on two Primarchs a month, this month covering Perturabo and... Rogal Dorn! I'll update his hair (since he's a blonde, I take it), but keep the moustache that made him famous in my previous image! :P After that, I plan on tackling a couple of Traitors more, so i don't stay too behind on them. The suggested couple of Mortarion and Magnus the Red is certainly very tempting, heh, heh... as for Vulkan, I'm really eager to get to him, as well as Leman Russ, since they've been asked for a lot! Jagathai Kahn is also one of the Emperor's Sons that's been growing in my mind... at the end of the day, though, it's just a matter of which one will choose to present himself when I begin sketching.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone again and please, feel free to keep suggesting Primarchs, or even helping out with the one I'm working on right now. Now you know it's going to be Dorn, so if you think you've got something to say that'd look cool I'd certainly like to hear it!

Codex Grey mentioned the fact that I made 'secenes' previously, and that's something that has been rattling in my head since I began this remake... what if, after I was through with these portraits, I worked up some classic, epic scenes? Like Horus versus Sanguinius? Or the fight between Ferrus and Fulgrim? Or the original Death GUad before the Emperor descended upon Barbarus?... Would you care to see some of that?

Until soon and thank you again!

Aerion.-

Edited by Aerion the Faithful

I'm looking forward to seeing you pull off Guilliman, Alpharius and Omegon. Only Adrian Smith has done Guilliman justice so far, and Alpharius and Omegon...I don't think anyone has done them justice or even attempted them at all... I guess that's what they get for being so dang sneaky.

I say Horus and Sanguinius are actually the best. Especially love the Armor crying blood. That's just snazzy.

Advocatus Diaboli I guess, but Perturabo just looks like an average sort of Iron Warrior Terminator to me.....

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

what if, after I was through with these portraits, I worked up some classic, epic scenes? Like Horus versus Sanguinius? Or the fight between Ferrus and Fulgrim? Or the original Death GUad before the Emperor descended upon Barbarus?... Would you care to see some of that?

Yes, please! :D