Cerberus Tank Project (Close to Done Now, Touch Up Required)

Full-choke

I have wanted to a datasheet on a Baneblade variant for a long time now. Of course I had several wonderfully awesome ideas, all of which quickly faded from the picture. However, after all the brainstorming my dream is finally coming to reality. I have dubbed it the 'Cerberus' (after the 3 headed dog) as it features a new weapon design that got named the 'Vanquisher Destroyer Cannon'. The gun is 3 vanquisher barrels tied together in a Gatling style formation allowing it 3 different ways to shoot. Some stats:

Points: 600ish (Final Value Undecided by those involved in the project)

Structure Points: 3

FA: 14 SA: 13 RA: 12 BS: 4

Vanquisher Destroyer Cannon:

Artillery Barrage: Range-96"; Str-8; AP-3; Ordnance, Apocalypse Barrage 3, Primary Weapon

Precision Strike: Range-96"; Str-8; AP-3; Ordnance 1, 10" Blast, Primary Weapon

Anti-Armor: Range-108"; Str-10; AP-2; Heavy 3, Special, Primary Weapon

The Anti-Armor round hits on the BS of the crew, like the Vanquisher Anti-Tank. The AP is strictly for a troop type unit. It also gets 2D6 on Armor Penetration for each hit scored on the target.

Here are a few pictures of the project. Hopefully by the end of the weekend she will be in paint, still have a lot of build work to do. gallery_37026_2907_34546.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_55315.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_44649.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_25751.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input...

F-C

Looks great, I've been thinking about something along these lines for a while too.

Only thing is as you're plastic carding it up (and doing a good job), I'd be tempted to try to extend some armour over the very front tracks (as they are daftly exposed in these plastic kits).

Ahh...forgot to mention I bought the Baneblade lower hull from BWBits, hence why it is a very stripped down frame and a lot of plastic card. I just couldn't justify destroying yet another $100 model for another kitbash project. Both other Baneblades I bought got modded out heavily, so I went the slightly cheaper route this time.

F-C

Thanks for the input, here is what I have...

Not a turret, it is going to be fixed barrel much like the Shadowsword. So in effect it won't block the engine at all. The back end of the tank is going to get Air Cleaners, Exhaust pipes, Vent Grates, and all the normal little engine bits and bobs. The barrel is like a gatling gun so it needs to be able to turn. However, thinking on the barrel support I might build something behind the cockpit like a barrel rest for when it is in transport. The angle of the picture also makes the barrel look long and thin, from a straight side shot it doesn't look nearly as bad. But good idea there, I will have to put some thought into it when I get back on it tonight.

Tank Decoration - Never been much for the flair and dramatic appearance of a highly decorated tank on the battlefield. Once the sanding of the green stuff is done I will cover all the plastic card in rivets and bolts. I will also deck out a lot of the engine area with more stuff, making it look more like the back of the tank. The rest will be rumaged through the old bits bin putting on things here and there that seem practical, look good, etc. As it is going to be painted up for my Ad Mech Army I am going to likely put some Mechanicus symbols on it somewhere. I will also paint a name and kill banner on it as well. So, if you have some suggestions on what might look nice on it I would love to hear it. I am completely open to suggestion as I have gotten this far on ideas from me and about 4 friends.

F-C

Oh heavens no, lol. A lot of the cracks are so thin that the best way I have found is to pack it in and then come back and shave it and sand it down. I did all that tonight along with putting on all the bits. I will post more pictures after I get all the rivets on it here in a couple of evenings.

F-C

Looks great! I must say, very impressive. Resparks my want for a Baneblade.. Is this for SM/CSM or IG?

And hows the sanding of GS? I was told it doesn't very well, and I know it doesn't. I used it to fill gaps on my Land Raider Exterminus, and I couldn't sand it either, it clogged all the files and stuff, I had to shave it down with the knife instead. Howd you do yours?

Looking REAL nice. Finish that baby!

I gave you the short version on the rules. The gun is still in the discussion phase on figuring it all out. Everyone that I game with is hoping to get an Apoc game on this weekend. If so I am going to field test it at 600 points and see what it does. That's really the only way to know how well it will work. If anyone wants to look at the Datasheet first hand and give me some input on it PM me your e-mail and I will forward it on for you.

As far as sanding/filing green stuff...it sucks. What I do is try to shave the bulk of it down with a knife. Then I came back and used my model files and 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the rest out. Any little holes that appeared were filled in with super glue and re-sanded to smooth out again. The process is extremely time consuming but it works well for the most part.

The tank is going to be for my Ad Mech army as well. The plan is to use it in conjunction with Legio Erratus (My Knight and Warhound Titans) to be damage control in Apoc. A friend of mine that I always play with has Imp Guard and the bulk of his force is ground troopers so I am going to be able to provide HEAVY support when we team up.

F-C

Finished all the bitting last night. That means that the last thing that needs done is priming and painting. That should start this weekend as long as everything goes as planned. Anyways, here is the finished project...

gallery_37026_2907_54430.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_30330.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_23437.jpg

If anyone can think of something else to slap on it let me know. Just remember that I am not much of one for lots of dramatic flair getting added to the tanks.

F-C

Just wondering: Why the change from AP 3 to AP 2 for the 'Anti-Tank' rounds? Other than to force invuls on Termies, it seems of no real value. An AP1 seems highly more apropriate, and I don't see why it would be unreasonable.

Chaplain - I agree on the aquila, I don't have any. I am going to see if one of my friends has one tonight in at the store. I would like to get one on each side, but if not oh well. I will likely paint it on if I can't do anything else.

Askren - Well, the thought was that the AP round is more meant for tanks and heavy armor rather then men. The thought was that it would hti on the BS of the crew rather then scatter. But 2D6 AP doesn't work on men so myy friends and I figured AP 2 would suffice. There is no blast template on it either, so really it is kind of a toss up (and kind of pointless to shoot it at troops of any kind). I am interested to hear your side, my friends and I have been trying to make the datasheet work as well as possible without making it so packed full of cheese that a mouse couldn't get at it.

F-C

Firstly, that is an amazing model. I picture it as more of a Guard unit, where bigger is better; when all else fails, use a bigger gun (or in this case, several)!

For the next section, I'm assuming that you roll 2D6 for penetration and add them together.

As far as the stats go, I agree that playtesting is the only real way to work out whether it's balanced or not. Mathhammer is fine but at the end of the day, it's theoretical and as many of us know from experience, just because something should work doesn't mean that you won't keep rolling ones. If it gets 2D6 armour penetration, then it only needs to roll a combined total of 4 to glance and 5 to penetrate against AV14. That means that unless you keep rolling snake eyes, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a glancing hit. If it was an AP1 weapon, then it would have a 50% chance of destroying a vehicle with a penetrating hit. Given how easy the Mathhammer makes it seem to get a penetrating hit, I would think it should stay at AP2. That said, it needs to be playtested to see how powerful it really is and whether the statistics are lying. If it doesn't seem powerful enough, then increase the AP value to 1 and see how it fares.

Yeah, that just screams "IM A NASTY BEASTY, BRING IT!!" I agree with giving it to the guard.

I like the idea all though the top of the firing compartment looks like there is nothing there, is that true? I think I can see a pintle mounted storm bolter all though I'm unsure.

I say plop a nice Death Korps of Krieg Commisar Tank Commander on there. I love the model. If only the $ wasn't so crappy that you have to pay $50 for 10 guardsmen. :( :(

10 cool looking guardsmen :) for $50 :(

Thanks for all the responses. The argument for keeping at AP 2 sounded real solid, I think I will have to keep that in the back of the head while putting it on the table. I got in paint this weekend, hoping to put the finishing touches on tomorrow or Monday. If so I should have some pictures of it up here by mid-week. Keep in mind that I did end up giving it to my Mechanicus Army. See bigger is always better in guard but if you want really REALLY REALLY BIG you go to Ad Mech ;) !!! Anyways, it is painted up in my scab red and boltgun metal and coated in my oily-looking badab black wash. Really looks quite sharp. All I have left to do is a little touch up here and there and sensors that don't get the wash.

The sad news in all this...I won't get to play test it until at least 3 weekends from now. I have some special 'girlfriend stuff' to do next weekend and the weekend following is my brother's wedding that I have to stand in. So hopefully it will be a nice Christmas Present to be able to get it on the field that weekend and kick some Demon arse with it!

F-C

Ok, here is the mostly finished product on the Cerberus tank. I still need to add some dirt and mud to it but everything else is there. I think it is going to be a while before I can get the finsihing touches on it so I figured I would go ahead and post anyways. Enjoy...

gallery_37026_2907_36964.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_3674.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_39971.jpg

gallery_37026_2907_33181.jpg

I know there are a few things here and there in the paint job but it looks good for a solid start. And yes, it is supposed to have that much black wash on it. It took an entire pot but the desired effect was met. By putting it on so heavy it makes it look oily, then when I hit it with a light, light coat of brown in will come out looking dingy and oily...which I think is very appropriate for Ad Mech.

F-C

thats a grerat model, really well thought out and built. but to be honest the paint lets it down. after all that effort to just throw washes at it seems such a waste. you can see the drips on the armour plates. i would suggest painting over it again more carefully.

phill

Archived