Wulfen and the Space Wolves in General

mynameisowen

Hi everyone,

First time ive visited this subforum so be nice!!

Basically im a long time Blood Angel player; I know my stuff about them and tidbits about other chapters. Sadly though, I dont know anything about the Space Wolves!!! They are a chapter thats always interested me and would like to know more about.

I have heard of the Wulfen and they have always intrigued me, so I have a favor to ask of all you wolves.

My request is; can someone please enlighten me to who the Wulfen are? What they do? Indeed who's side are they on? What happened to them? Are they similar to Blood Angels' Death Company? Anything to do with them really as im very interested.

In fact I would be delighted to hear anything fluffwise about the Space Wolves as a chapter.

I know this is a bit of a big request so thanks in advance guys!!

And I would be glad to answer any of your Blood Angel questions if you have any.

Well in a nutshell the wulfen are those who have succumbed to the "defect" of the canis helix (I guess it's somewhat like death company, but wulfen don't die like death company do). They're on our side, they fight along side their space wolf brethren but don't join their units or anything. They're marked out by facial tattoos and such, and are usually feared but at the same time they're revered by their fellow space wolves.

The 13th company was the original place where Russ sent those who have succumbed to the curse and everyone in the 13th company has the curse, it just might be less prominent than others and have more control over it.

Basically it makes the space wolf go into it's more feral state and go crazy, isn't effected by morale and pinning stuff (basically fearless) and they just go berko in combat, hitting on 3's, but at the same time are hit on 3's (they don't play defense at all, they just throw themselves at the enemy in an all-out fury).

In the game, it's useless to take wulfen in space wolves, they're all by their lonesome (only one per army as well) and as such are highly vulnerable to weapon fire (also they have no access to an invulnerable save of any kind, can't ride a bike, jump pack, or have TDA among other restrictions).

In 13th company however they are invaluable and can be joined to squads, beef up those squads, they even have just whole packs of wulfen that can be lead by a wolf priest who can "control" them. Otherwise I'd stay clear of mark of the wulfen, it's just not that good for regular space wolves.

Wolf89 has it quite correct. Fluffwise, the "original" Wulfen legend was a tribesman called Wulfen from the time when the Emperor first came to Fenris. He drank from the chalice of Russ - part of the Space Wolves initiation to show his fealty to Russ. In reality, he intended to betray Russ and take over the Wolves. The spirits of the Chalice chose to make plain his wickedness and so make his bestial insides present in his flesh - he became a slavering half-man, half-wolf and so did Russ stike him down.

In the current era of 40K, those aspirants who make it to the verge of being a true Space Wolf are implanted with the geneseed, then cast out into the frozen hells of the Asaheim to make their way back to the Fang and be recieved as a true Son of Russ. Whilst in the Mountains, they must come to terms with the beast within, lest they succumb to it. Those who fail become Wulfen, and are often destroyed by the process - very little survives on Asaheim.

Those that survive become Blood Claws, but the battle is not yet over. The Blood Claws berserk charging is a result of them trying to contain the beast, which may well overwhelm them in combat. Some will fall later on in their life, and they are often watched over by the Wolf Priests, if not executed outright - for the Gene Curse may yet bring the wrath of the Inquisition down on the Wolves, and I disagree with Wolf89 over them being revered - pityed and feared is the impression I have.

During the Great Crusade, the Werekin as they were known were banded together in the Company of Jorin Bloodfang and often fought at the forefront of a battle where their numbers could be controlled by the savage rate of attrition. Their last certain engagement was at the Battle of Prospero where they formed the vanguard of the Wolves assault on the Silver Towers inflicting horrendous casulties on the Thousand Sons. All that is certain after is that they persued the Traitors into the Eye where still they hound them - nothing else is certain about the Lost Company.

In game terms, a normal Wolf Guard may be given the mark of the Wulfen, and gains CC ability at the cost of anything else. If you are dead set on using him, twin Lightning Claws is best - 3+D3 attacks, rerolling wounds and hitting on 3+ is to be feared. They are rarely used, as such a model is the better part of a Predator Destructor pointswise.

In the 13th Company they are a much more dangerous force, able to be taken as entire packs.

As for the similarity with the DC - they are both the result of a Gene Seed defect and are a key part of the Chapters mythos and beliefs. That's about as far as the similarity goes.

The reason I say they're revered is because A: Our latest codex says they're revered, and B: I'd revere a man who fights for me even though he's basically an outcast. :rolleyes:

Our Codex says they're revered? Can I ask for a citation? I'm not trying to call you here, I just always got the feeling they were outcasts and almost hated by their brethren.

The reason I say they're revered is because A: Our latest codex says they're revered, and B: I'd revere a man who fights for me even though he's basically an outcast. :P

Our Codex says they're revered? Can I ask for a citation? I'm not trying to call you here, I just always got the feeling they were outcasts and almost hated by their brethren.

These individuals are literally 'marked out' by facial tattoos that are applied by a Wolf Priest. Warriors bearing the Mark are both feared and revered by their fellow Space Wolves.
pg. 15 C:SW Under "Mark of the Wulfen" first paragraph

I remember these lines because my original wulfen were painted like braveheart style on their faces. :rolleyes:

The reason I say they're revered is because A: Our latest codex says they're revered, and B: I'd revere a man who fights for me even though he's basically an outcast. ;)

These individuals are literally 'marked out' by facial tattoos that are applied by a Wolf Priest. Warriors bearing the Mark are both feared and revered by their fellow Space Wolves.
pg. 15 C:SW Under "Mark of the Wulfen" first paragraph

I remember these lines because my original wulfen were painted like braveheart style on their faces. :P

Fair enough... I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

*Passes an ale over to the Blood Angel* Welcome to the fang... not too often we get visitors from other astartes around here. I don't have much to add to the info about the wulfen, other than that the 13th company's wulfen are somewhat different: The warp energies they've been exposed to in the eye of terror have made them for the most part fully fledged werewolves, fur and all. Some fluff has hinted that Russ himself may now be leading the 13th company within the EoT, taking the fight to the thousand sons on their own turf.

As for you, I have a question. I've heard vague accounts of a battle in which Sanguinius was knocked unconcious by a bloodthirster, and his Sons were dying at Khorne's hands, but when he fell unconcious his dormant psychic abilities flooded the Blood Angels and when he woke up all the demons had been laid to waste. Sounds like a good fireside tale for the bards to tell some of the pups in my 12th great company; even though it involves *Glare* Psychic power.

As for you, I have a question. I've heard vague accounts of a battle in which Sanguinius was knocked unconcious by a bloodthirster, and his Sons were dying at Khorne's hands, but when he fell unconcious his dormant psychic abilities flooded the Blood Angels and when he woke up all the demons had been laid to waste. Sounds like a good fireside tale for the bards to tell some of the pups in my 12th great company; even though it involves *Glare* Psychic power.

Ka'bahnda (spelling?) I believe was the one who spanked Sanguinius and then he rampaged through a bunch of blood angels killing thousands which caused Sanguinius to have even more psychic 'malfunctions' with such a disturbance.

Then Sanguinius returned the favor later on, while on Horus's barge he spanked a thirster (it wasn't the same one but a much weaker version) by cracking it's back over his knee.

At least this is what I remember, I could be slightly wrong though. Either way I still say Sanguinius was THE most powerful primarch, not to mention he smelled nice and had chiseled features. :(

Either way I still say Sanguinius was THE most powerful primarch, not to mention he smelled nice and had chiseled features. ;)

On the condition the nice smell was a fine ale...

edit: Or the smell of a witch burning at the stake :(

Poor Sanguinius, he just was trying to give Horus a big ole bear hug!

Welcome to the Fang! Imagine doubles with your Angels and some Wulfen, eep!

Back in 3rd I played a doubles tournament with my cousin (mix of Blood Angels and Daemonhunters) a combined point total of 5000 points (2500 each). We ended up placing 2nd next to two chaos players. :whistling:

Lets just say that death company+ blood claws+ lots of rhinos= dead stuff...

Well...

I think that the wulfen you are talking about are the 13th company, (yes, i do believe russ is leading one of the warbands)

The 13th company is a company of the space wolves who were around during the horus heresy....no, they are not heretics(i dont care what anybody says, they are not heretics) they were asked by Russ to go the cowardly thousand suns in the Eye of Terror, and they were so loyal, that they are still doing their jobs for 10000 years, they have split up into warbands, you can also use them in a game(apocolipse or friendly) they have rules for it, if you want, i can send them to you, they are just a fun group to play

If you want more on the 13th company, then read the Ragnar Blackmane Series(they are in the last book) read the whole series, they have a brief stint witha wulfen in the first, and the last one has a 13th company warbands

At least this is what I remember, I could be slightly wrong though. Either way I still say Sanguinius was THE most powerful primarch, not to mention he smelled nice and had chiseled features. :D

Blasphemy...no ale for you. I shall talk to the Lord of the Brewery about this! ;)

At least this is what I remember, I could be slightly wrong though. Either way I still say Sanguinius was THE most powerful primarch, not to mention he smelled nice and had chiseled features. ;)

Blasphemy...no ale for you. I shall talk to the Lord of the Brewery about this! :P

Hey, I never said Russ wasn't the best fighter, just said overall Sanguinius was the best, psycher, could fly, powerful in combat... a lot of others would agree with me. Russ is top 5 for sure. ;) I mean jumping up and punching down a titan isn't something just any primarch can do. :D

Yeah...but Russ drank Ale. Sanguinius was a wine drinker (probably listened to Enya and Michael Bolton too!).

I rest my case! ;)

Not to mention the whole number of victories thing:

1) Horus (*washes mouth*)

2) Lion'el Jonson (purely because he was found earlier, mind)

3) Leman Russ

4) uhh, some other guy

and the whole "There's 8 of our legions here, we control the solar system except for a bunch of sorely depleted legions in that castle over there, but since rumour has it the Wolves and Dark Angels are coming, we'd better all turn tail." (And boy, were they right...)

:P .

I run a wulfen with a storm shield and lightning claw. Ive also ran him with storm shield and master crafted thunder hammer.

Wulfen is just kinda sitting there about 14" in front of my tanks. Bloodthirster drops in. I move him back 6 inches. Daemons player laughs, figuring this is one my IC's and charges. Attacks, does 3 wounds, all saved by storm shield. I roll up my wulfens attacks with a 5, so he gets 7 attacks, hits on 3's *had to show him the codex to get the point accross, when I said he hit on threes he thought I was just refering to the fact that the darn thing nearly always hits on 3's* and wounds on 2's. Drops all four wounds off it. Dies to a pie plate from a soulgrinder the next turn. He was so pissed when I told him that the guy only cost 90pts and wasnt even a slot by himself. He did atleast acknowledge that part of it was just me being lucky... could easily have died before he got a shot in.

I run a wulfen with a storm shield and lightning claw. Ive also ran him with storm shield and master crafted thunder hammer.

Wulfen is just kinda sitting there about 14" in front of my tanks. Bloodthirster drops in. I move him back 6 inches. Daemons player laughs, figuring this is one my IC's and charges. Attacks, does 3 wounds, all saved by storm shield. I roll up my wulfens attacks with a 5, so he gets 7 attacks, hits on 3's *had to show him the codex to get the point accross, when I said he hit on threes he thought I was just refering to the fact that the darn thing nearly always hits on 3's* and wounds on 2's. Drops all four wounds off it. Dies to a pie plate from a soulgrinder the next turn. He was so pissed when I told him that the guy only cost 90pts and wasnt even a slot by himself. He did atleast acknowledge that part of it was just me being lucky... could easily have died before he got a shot in.

Sounds awesome, looking at the bloodthirster can easily be 3 times that amount of the wulfen, and even higher, that must have been pleasuring.

When I did have mine, I gave him a rhino all by himself (the grey hunters taking my home objective didn't object to that ;) ), and he managed to kill a whole terminator squad (5-man) but ended up dying the same combat (striking at same time as power fists).

Nice to be welcomed. Thanks for all the replies, the information, and the ale.

Yeah the wulfen seem to be pretty powerful and in some ways they are some ways similar to the DC in that they have succumbed to a genetic flaw. In the Blood Angels case the Black Rage.

Regarding Sanguinius and the Bloodthirsters. Indeed he was struck down by a beast of a bloodthirster (Ka'Bandha) and left to watch as his brothers where massacred. Obviously hes was pretter peeved of and it did awake some "powers" in him. Also it is rumoured that the bloodthirster cursed Sanguinius and this is part of the reason we are "cursed" now...

At the siege of the emperors palace, he battled the Lord of all the Bloodthirsters (I believe to be the same one as before), he killed him and threw him down to the floor in front of all his countless minions. If you have IA:Blood Angels with you there is an awesome picture of the Blood Angels fighting during the defence of Terra, In the background you can see Sanguinius fighting a massive deamon.

Heres a little story to tell around the fire (from IA:Blood Angels)

"Sanguinius is immortalised in the magnificent stained glass windows of the Sanctus Praetoria Imperator as fighting high above the raging battle, facing daemons so powerful they could unhinge the minds of great

heroes with but a word. He singlehandedly held the crenellations from the tides of daemonic filth attempting

to wash into the holy chambers of the Emperor’s Palace. Many accounts of the time praise the Blood Angel’s

valour and unceasing efforts in their defence of the Eternity Wall space port. Although hundreds of Blood Angels died, they stemmed a sea of foulness the like of which had never been seen before. Many speak of the bright light bathing Sanguinius’ sons as the Primarch slew his foes in the skies above with his mighty blade of fire."

I think purely physically Russ was a more powerful primarch. What made Sanguinius powerful is his ability to fly, his wisdom, and his gift of premonition. He was a master swordsman aswell but I think that without his other gifts he wouldnt have been as powerful.

If my memory serves owing to his combination of talents he (Sanguinius) was the equal of Horus, up until Horus gained his chaos 'gifts' that is.

Well it is said that Horus cold not best Sanguinius when they were fighting and had to resort to his suped up psychic powers to kill him.

Archived