Captain Chingon and the assault marines

Brother SRM

Some of you may remember this squad from my earlier topic: Crimson Fist assault marines

I've since based them with all sorts of doodads and painted up a captain to lead them!

Without further adieu:

med_gallery_27105_2876_1147564.jpg

med_gallery_27105_2876_1090144.jpg

med_gallery_27105_2876_706108.jpg

med_gallery_27105_2876_388068.jpg

And the good captain Chingon himself, armed with stormshield, relic blade, jump pack and artificier armor:

med_gallery_27105_2876_583363.jpg

med_gallery_27105_2876_475340.jpg

med_gallery_27105_2876_521625.jpg

med_gallery_27105_2876_886248.jpg

Unfortunately, the camera lost a lot of the shading on the back of his cape.

"Chingon" is Mexican slang for "badass", which I think my captain embodies quite well!

This was my first time basing, tell me what you think!

@The Colossus: Thanks for the comment; heads and helmets can look tacky on bases, and it's good to hear I pulled it off reasonably well. The reason there's guard and Chaos bitz is so it looks like they've been killing Chaos marines in a field that the Guard has already been beaten in, or something to that effect. Wouldn't just be enemy debris lying around after all.

@Sons of Horus: It's an expensive, yet viable combination. I used it in the one game I've had with these fists and, well, he rolled a 2 on his single invulnerable save vs. a power klaw, but I'm still confident in the wargear combination! Also, little is scarier than a flying strength 6 power weapon backed by a 2+/3++

My only criticism (and i really hope its just due to the photography) is why does your captain have a big bright red lipstick mark on his collar? Has he been playing with the daemonettes again, I thought the chaplains had had a word about that sort of behaviour...?

but, more seriously, nice models. very nice...

@Leonaides: Well, he has the red rope and has a red mouthguard on his helmet. But then again, he wouldn't be captain if he didn't have some skills with the ladies - lead by example after all :)

@Bogus: That dreadnought was actually WIP, he's done here: Old n' Ugly

And yes, he does still see the table! I actually picked him up at a flea market for next to nothing last summer, so he hasn't been in my service for that long.

Thanks for the replies guys!

My only criticism (and i really hope its just due to the photography) is why does your captain have a big bright red lipstick mark on his collar? Has he been playing with the daemonettes again, I thought the chaplains had had a word about that sort of behaviour...?

That is actually a second part of the helmet that sticks out farther than the rest(raised you could call it). I know because i have it, its one of the amazing bits you get as a DA player ;) !

That is actually a second part of the helmet that sticks out farther than the rest(raised you could call it). I know because i have it, its one of the amazing bits you get as a DA player ;) !

Yeah, it's a kind of techmariney bit I never got to use with my old DA army, so I figured I may as well use it here! You can still see a bit of the DA insignia on the mouthpiece.

It does look a lot like lipstick, but that's probably the picture.

But I would remove the name tag from the base. So far I haven't see anyone pull the name-tag-thing off to look good. It's always much sloppier than the rest of the paint job and drags the overall quality of your mini down

@The Colossus: Thanks for the comment; heads and helmets can look tacky on bases, and it's good to hear I pulled it off reasonably well. The reason there's guard and Chaos bitz is so it looks like they've been killing Chaos marines in a field that the Guard has already been beaten in, or something to that effect. Wouldn't just be enemy debris lying around after all.

Well as long as you have a story behind it/like it, its your choice! B)

Nice lookin' squad, very cohesive altogether. My only real criticism is that our white is a little uneven. For my white, I use Vallejo Wolf Grey... covers smoothly in a couple coats, and looks like white without any actual white near it. ;)

@feuer_faust: My white is a drybrush over codex gray at the moment. I think I'll start having it go over Space Wolf grey instead, as it should look more even. Yet to pull off white chest eagles very well.

@cathar the great: I pretty much do the nametag thing for my own purposes. My handwriting is terrible, but I like being able to identify characters in squads and the like, and it's something I used to see on a lot of old school miniatures that I don't see any more. You should see my Wolf Guard Terminators for my Space Wolves - every one of em have a name painted on the back of their base! However, with all the different wargear in that sort of sqaud, it's essential.

I don't really understand. You put the name tag on to remember his wargear? Shouldn't that be... well, obvious when you look at the mini Oo

With my Wolves it's easier to roll saves when you can say "Hrolf, Sven, Baldur" rather than "Guy with lightning claws, guy with combi melta, other guy with lightning claws" etc.

In Chingon's case, I just like having the name on the base for general identification purposes. If the name isn't there on the figure, it gets forgotten fairly often. When you only have one captain it's easy, but when you've got captains, librarians, sergeants, and all other sorts with names, it's nice to just look and remember. Then again, I'm the type of guy who names a good deal of his figures, which not everyone does.

Wow, a Crimson Fist assault brigade. It looks nice and agressive and putting a commander into the mix with a JP will make them a well rounded hth group.

I would think though that you should going sternguard crazy seeing as how your army is built for exactly that. Can I assume we're going to get some new updates with lots of beautifully painted vets? Or am I getting excited for nothing :P

If it was me I would paint the entire faceplate red on the helm. Sort of like how I did my DA 4th company in bleached bone, do your commanders face in a grimson gore with blood red highlights. I think that would make him more intimidating at the same time.

Would be a great army to look at on the opposite side of the table.

:(

@Company Champion: wiktionary entry I learned the word from the band Chingon, where Robert Rodriguez (the director behind the Mariachi movies, Grindhouse, etc.) plays guitar. I thought it was a fitting enough name for such a nasty dude!

@Master Toddius: You'd be right in assuming that! I'm working slowly on some Sternguard at the moment. I got the metal box because I love the figures, and I'm custom making 5 more out of a Combat Squad box. Honored to get compliments from one of my favorite painters on the BnC :( Also, I like the idea about painting the helmet red. I may use that for some future officers.

Are those shoulder pads the metal pads from the GW Imperial/Crimson Fist Conversion Pack? If so, (it's hard to tell from the pictures) are they smaller than the other shoulder pads? I can't tell if it's the angle or if they are actually a little smaller than the plastic shoulder pads.

Yes, they are indeed the metal shoulder pads. However, I got this whole squad assembled and primed black at a flea market over the summer, and I think the person who put these guys together mixed a few sets. Some are bigger, some are smaller. They generally all look about right in comparison to the model though. I actually didn't really notice that until you pointed it out here.

I wasn't criticizing your models, I think they look very good & are very well done. I was just asking about the shoulder pads, like I said I wasn't sure if it was the angle or if they were smaller, if they're not noticeably smaller in person I may have to pick up a few conversion packs for my IF successor.

@AngryJohnny: I didn't think you were criticizing them or anything, just stating a bit of their history and why their shoulderpads are multiple varieties. I think the shoulder pad pack only has the ones with the trim on them. They are a little small, but as I said, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I recommend them!

@jeremy1391: Thanks!

Archived