Raven guard test marine

ikik

well this is part of my new project wich you can see on my blog or in the WIP section I'm rather happy with how this guy turned out and how fast he was done it just took me 3-4 hours to complete in contradiction to my blood angels who took several days to finish

well here he is:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/3102615657_4ce5f8f024.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/3103448836_2072033b65.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/3103449320_638aa98491.jpg?v=0

IkIk

Well, it's a solid effort, but honestly I think the sharp-edge highlights are too stark and a little uneven... I think you'd do well to try a little subtle drybrushing and maybe some broader highlights... I know the 'in' thing is to mimic the 'Eavy Metal' style of just painting the edges of everything on every model, but the problem with that is that it's too easy to get a result that isn't necessarily the best reflection of a painter's skill, as it's really a right pain in the butt to do on alot of figures. I like the white and the color scheme in general tho, and you did a great job picking out the chest eagle, so don't think I've got nothing but negativity. Did you come up with the idea to do one shoulder in color for squad/company? designations instead of both, or is that a standard RG thing? It's very striking and I like the idea alot.

I'm going to agree with Prometheum5- it's a solid effort, and a very good start. Black can be remarkably hard to actually capture well precisely because highlighting is a royal pain. You might try filling in with 2:1 Chaos Black to Codex Grey to narrow the highlight lines and get a little bit of gradation. You might not want to, since it's time consuming. If you'd rather use Prometheum's drybrushing suggestion, then I'd use the color combo I just described.

The white is well done, and the details are sharply picked out, so you're more than halfway there.

Thanks for the help brothers, the highlights are a bit messy because I rushed this one to get it done if you look in my blog you will see that sicarius's armour is way better ( I think :P ), I will try the 2:1 mix of chaos black an codex grey.

And on the shoulder pads, I just used red because I think it's a nice contrasting colour with the black and white all my raven guard marines will have this.

One suggestion I would make is to use a .005 black micropen to do the roman numeral numbering on the kneepad instead of trying to use a brush. I have found the pen to be absolutly wonderful for small detail work like that, much neater and very easy to use. Great for putting small litany lines on things like shoulder pads and such.

Some guys are great with a brush and can do it just as well. Im not so the pen is the way to go for me.

Also, the shoulder pad denotes the squad type in Raven Guard, not company, as I'm guessing you've used it for here.

Raven Guard history

Doesn't seem to... colour seems to indicate company from what I can see. :pinch:

Prior to the 4th ed marine codex Shoulder pad trim indicated squad function as opposed to company designation. The 4th ed marine went away from that. The Raven Guard IA articles uses colors for squad function.

Prior to the 4th ed marine codex Shoulder pad trim indicated squad function as opposed to company designation. The 4th ed marine went away from that. The Raven Guard IA articles uses colors for squad function.

Which is what I was recalling it off, so maybe I'm sketchy somewhere but the Index Astartes images for Raven Guard, the colours don't seem to indicate squad function.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Zekk/Squads.jpg

If the red-band means "Assault Squad" - what's the point of putting an Assault Squad marking on the shoulder-pad? That's like marking it Assault twice.

Is it not entirely possible that they just showed off an Assault, Tactical and Devastator' pads from each company, rather than implying the colours were different squads?

The same with pre-Heresy - what's the point of using different shapes if they use the colour to indicate squad-function?

If the red-band means "Assault Squad" - what's the point of putting an Assault Squad marking on the shoulder-pad? That's like marking it Assault twice.

Is it not entirely possible that they just showed off an Assault, Tactical and Devastator' pads from each company, rather than implying the colours were different squads?

The same with pre-Heresy - what's the point of using different shapes if they use the colour to indicate squad-function?

it makes sense as it allows to have heraldry on that shoulder pad without loosing any information. in addition is the information given by the colored shoulder pad rim not as complete as given with an icon. you have to think about something like squad numbers and other signs that allow to identify a squad. the rims are there to have a quick indicator what function that squad fulfills at the battlefield.

at least it is not that important how the color and squad markings are interpreted, because according to the fluff they are changed from time to time.

@ original poster: i dont know what you are aiming for with your raven gaurd army, i have painted over 2000 points of them and i am still painting, but when painting black armor you are limited to very few techniques and it will be very hard to archieve really outstanding modells. i like your paint scheme a lot and i like the way you paint it, but i think you limit yourself to an paintscheme that dont shows your potential. you might have a better try with an successor chapter and colors that allow some more techniques.

btw. i really like what you have done with the aquilas second head, i might steal that idea :D

~hagg

it makes sense as it allows to have heraldry on that shoulder pad without loosing any information. in addition is the information given by the colored shoulder pad rim not as complete as given with an icon. you have to think about something like squad numbers and other signs that allow to identify a squad. the rims are there to have a quick indicator what function that squad fulfills at the battlefield.

A single icon to show squad-function works for all the other Codex Chapters, Ultramarines and Imperial Fists etc, I see no reason why the Raven Guard would need to colour-code their units. Are they the 'slow' Chapter of the Astartes? :P ;)

Also, if the Raven Guard aren't using the colour of the pad's rim to show Company, what indicates the company they belong to? So they need two bits (colour and symbol) to say if their a Tactical Squad, but no company markings? :P

But I shall stop taking this Off-T. Apologies to the thread starter.

On table I think this highlighting will look good. Its overbaring in the pic becuase the camera is up is butt. From table distance, and most important when there are 20 of them, I think they'll look solid. Though you may want to tidy up the lines a bit. May want to not highlight the details on his thighs, unless you can make your lines really tiny, it kinda makes it look sloppy maybe. On the next one you mway want to not highlight the those at all, should make the model a good bit more clean. Also, I think the lines on the knee look good. Keep at. Last, give him a healthy coat of Dull coat and it will bring the sharpness of those edges in line.

Archived