Vocates Honour Company

So I've started on my next army, the Vocates Honour Company. For those who have no idea what the Vocates are or even what the Honour Company is all about, have a read through this thread. A quick summary- 12 chapters swore oaths to each of loyalty and brotherhood. They became known as the Vocates. One of the chapters, the Reapers, turned to Chaos through their Apothecaries twisted experiments. The remaining Vocates responded with anger, purging the Reaper's recruiting worlds and driving them into the Maelstrom. The remaining brethren put together a Honour Company to continue the purging of the Reapers. This means the army will be composed of 10 different chapters at the most. I currently haven't got a symbol for the Honour Company but I'm going to experiment with a few in the near future.

This is the first marine I'm painting up for it. A Thousand Sword marine. Currently, he is just past the basecoat stage. Any criticisms etc would be more than welcome.

Without flash

med_gallery_21629_2945_86582.jpg

Then with flash

med_gallery_21629_2945_339775.jpg

I look forward to seeing you progress (and refine your photography, too. ;))

Hey, that first photo is one of the best ones I've taken ^_^ And I was in a rush, too.

I'll try to get some more done on the model tomorrow but my time may be limited. I've also started modeling the next marine, from the Angels of Perdition.

The symbol for the Honour Company is below (unless inspiration strikes with something better). The scythe is the symbol of the Harvesters/Reapers, so the broken scythe symbolizes their ultimate goal.

gallery_21629_2945_825.gif

And the Thousand Sword is done, bar a few tiny touchups.

med_gallery_21629_2945_265549.gif

med_gallery_21629_2945_49061.gif

Next up, an Angel of Perdition.

Cheers Ferrus. I was going for a matte look so I did minimal highlights that really didn't show up well in the photo. I'll go back and look at adding a few more highlights though. Any hints on how to do highlights with what is meant to be a matte scheme more than welcome.

I can't believe I missed this! That T-Sword is perfectly armed. ;) The pose is good, too.

Is that his name on the backbanner? Or something else? I can't quite make out what it says.

Well, I don't know what your aim is...but perhaps you should try a white undercoat instead of a black one. You'll get a much solider coat. Or, you could try the pink layer that they have in the How to Paint Citadel Minatures book. Though, I don't know how that'll help... =-/

I don't know what your skill level is either, so don't take me wrong.

For your pictures, maybe you could try getting a LOT more light, and giving them a white backdrop. It'll definitely help, even if you have a crappy camera. And also, try to mount/stick your camera on something, like..tape it to a couple of books, so it'll be elevated, and it won't shift. Then put on the timer. It should bring back great results (or a tripod if you do have one)

Archived