[LPC] Imperial Fists recon squad

Mal

*Edit 20/01/09*

I said I was thinking of upgrading my vow to make this a full 10 man tac squad... well heres the finished product, let me know what you think.

gallery_36925_3018_331569.jpg

*Edit 12/01/09*

I have decided to edit this post with the new updated pics, so that people do not have to scroll throguh the whole thread to see the latest ones.

Well the Recon Squad is now complete, all 5 minis built, painted, flocked, decaled and varnished.

Let me know what you think, p.s. those 3 white bodies behind them are the start of the other 5 members of the tactical squad. (Yes im going to update my vow).

gallery_36925_3018_883545.jpg

*Original post*

Ok this started out in life as a commision, but that ended, now its my Librarium Painting Challenge...

My aim is to complete (including decals and scroll work) an Imperial Fist Recon Squad (thats a 5 man squad, although I may increase it to 10 if I don't screw the first 5 up too bad).

The first step is to reclaim some marines I brought off of EBay... (yes they are really badly painted).

So here are the green meanies:

gallery_36925_3018_282841.jpg

Now I have cheated a teeny tiny bit have have already started one of the marines...

Front:

gallery_36925_3018_407547.jpg

Back:

gallery_36925_3018_780420.jpg

Head:

gallery_36925_3018_364062.jpg

So comments please?

these guys, I just use the back of the modelling knife and a pin, they were painted really really poorly, not even any primer so the paint just flakes off... usually when stripping plastics I will take them to a friend of mine who is really good with that kind of thing....

Damn that's a good looking Fist! nice clear crisp yellow there, mind if I ask how you did that? I'm gonna guess and say that you've used either Simple Green or good old Dettol to clean those up? either way the first on is looking very good, that red on the chest eagle really works well. I think that your recon squad should become a ten man squad if not an entire army :)

Ok heres my colour palet... and its a doozy... took me a while and a lot of trial and error to get it right.

Primed white,

Second thin white undercoat added (to avoid any grey as once you apply yellow, it looks green and stands out),

Thin coat of elf flesh added,

Second thin coat of elf flesh added, with some highlighting done using skull white,

2 thin coats of sunburst yellow,

Carefully apply ogryn flesh wash,

In armour joints where ogryn flesh doesn't show well apply a thin line of chestnut ink.

It needs a pale yellow highlight to finish it off, but thats where im at..

The red is just red gore with a faint highlight of 50/50 red gore/skull white.

As to the plastics, im not sure what my friend uses, its a mix of a few different things, but it works really well... I must be sure to get the receipe from him.

as for really bad primer thats resistant to stripping, be sure to carefully score the primer, not deep enough to mark teh plastic, but you want the solution to be able to get under the primer, you'll find that it comes off a little easier, of course a little tooth brush action wont go amis either.

*edit* last paragraph

Ok guys its advice time, I need your opinions.... the next 4 marines all have those dodgy green bases seen in the first pic, the flock is attached with what seems to be polycement..... Should I even bother to try to save the bases, or just replace them?

Ok guys its advice time, I need your opinions.... the next 4 marines all have those dodgy green bases seen in the first pic, the flock is attached with what seems to be polycement..... Should I even bother to try to save the bases, or just replace them?

Replace them mate, that sounds like a nightmare to get off and what serious 40ker doesn't have millions of spares floating around anyhow?!

Hey

Looking good mate,and yeah id just replace them.I had to butched my necrons to replace the bases on some of my chaos(bought a box of second hand wolves off a friend),and because there so flimsy there all now broken lol.Oh well.

I look forward to seeing more of your recon squad. :(

From

The Red Dragon

Good job Brother...

Nice crisp yellow, thats not an easy thing to accomplish...

Mind if i borrow your camera??? ^_^

If you want some more cheapies to work with, i have about 25-30 in a pot of brake fluid at home with no future!!

GC08

Lol, im only doing these because I have all my marine armies built and they are left overs. Im probally going to put them up on EBay once im finished.

That camera... thats actually my phone :huh:

Yeah I just had a flick through your WiP, looking good.

Looks good, yellow is a hard color to paint over black, which it looks like you have done. I like the scratch/scar on the helmet, it looks cool with the green lenses too.

Actually I cheated, the black was line applied after the white primer, but before the flesh undercoat. It gave me plenty of time to clean up any slips without them showing through onto the yellow.

Archived