[LPC] Fiery Lions Combat Squad

Daeothar

Yup; here we go...

First off: let's hear it from NemFX. Come on; you know you can do it *drums fingers*

Ah yes, thank you. Once again... ^_^

So; a new year, a new goal. 2009's set to have an orange glow over it, so maybe this year, maybe this year we'll see the Fiery Lions reach painted game legal status. Hey; one can hope ;) and this challenge is just what I need to get cranking. Of course I have my Vulkan He'Stan lookalike in the works too but he'll be worked on simultaneously with my first combat squad.

Some of you might remember my first go at this squad last year. I started out with some simple conversions of BfM marines, which pretty soon got more complicated. All went well until I undercoated them, which went horribly wrong, resulting in lumps of gritty orange paint, which were very hard to clean up again. To top it off, all the plasticard I used in the conversions melted in the DOT4 used to strip the paint, so they almost died a quiet death right there and then.

However, I stripped and cleaned them, added some more iconography in the form of FW etched Brass and ProCreate flames and chapter logos, before they were abandonned yet again, this time in favour of a budding High Elf army but I happy to announce their return, not expected by anyone. Yes; they're like the Spanish Inquisition in that sense... ;)

So, I picked a number of them I liked and added some other marines in the army I also liked but never got around to painting. Well actually, the grenade throwing one was painted once but got stripped. He's one of the three original Chapter Master Competition marines that started the entire chapter. However, the paintscheme has evolved since then, as have my pigment application skills, so I've added him here to fit in with the first complete tactical squad.

In addition to the grenade guy and the three BfM conversions (including the sergeant), I added PlasmaSnakeEyes as well. I once made him according to the example by a guy who participated in the US Chapter Master Competition, since I found the mini to be hilarious. Back then he was part of my Dark Angels army and capturing my Gets Hot dice rolling pretty acurately. Yes; he will have two dice at his feet, both showing 1's :D He is in dire need of some FL iconography though, which will be the first thing I'll add.

Then it's an undercoat for him too, to bring him to the stage of the others. I will then require 5 appropriate bases to be prepared and it'll be painting time from then on...

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/CombatSquadWIP1.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/CombatSquadWIP2.jpg

Onwards to glory! :D

Sorry, my bad, I was working on a tutorial for how to make a stompa for under 20$..

Incidentally, the next bits order I get, I'll paint up a Fiery Loins marine for my Enclave army (think deathwatch style, but just using normal space marine rules)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w42/Chip_Marble/Insperational%20Posters/motivator352400.jpg

Blah; copycat! :)

Incidentally, the next bits order I get, I'll paint up a Fiery Loins marine for my Enclave army (think deathwatch style, but just using normal space marine rules)

Be my guest; make sure to add something orange on there... :HS:

The orange colour on the minis is actually their spraypaint undercoat. I will add several thin layers of Blazing Orange on top of this to create their basecoat and from there highlight up to Fiery Orange and Golden Yellow.

Update!

I constructed (well, glued together mostly) their bases. I might swap them around a little to best match the bases with their poses but there you have them. Oh; and I need to add debris, like bolter casings etc.

Hard to see, but I've already added a smal icon (skull with one wing) to SnakeEyes' left shouderpad. Sculpting on the way.

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/CombatSquadWIP3.jpg

Still en-route to glory... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress (at last). The first squad member has gotten more than his undercoat of sprayed orange. I find that the original paintscheme is evolving in details as I am getting along. No white trim on his shoulderpads (they're trimless, so that helps, but I like this look) and his helmet is now blue as well, in keeping with their link with the Celestial Lions.

Does anyone remember that one picture of GWs, of Blood Angels and Eldar fighting 'Nids over some ruins? It's a full page picture in several WDs and other GW publications but in there, the RTB01 Beakies are all the old colourscheme of an almost orangy red, with blue helmets. This guy, being Mk6 and all, is almost a salute to that picture that inspired me throughout the years (I still think it's awesome). :D

The smaller details are to follow, but I'm quite pleased with this speedpainting for now. Cleanup and corrections also still need doing...

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/FLsquadie1WIP.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/FLsquadie2WIP.jpg

I'll see if I can scrounge up one of the very first metal marines I ever bought; still in lead. It coincidentally has almost this exact pose and loadout, which was not intentionally but cool nonetheless...

And I had almost forgotten, but dang; orange is hard to photograph right (colours and blends are way off here en the blue highlights seem much too stark here too)! :)

So; what colour do you think the eye lenses need to be? Right now I'm leaning towards red/orange but maybe green is an option too? I was also thinking of doing the right kneepad white, with a blue numeral. I feel the other one needs another colour around the sculpted flame motif. What do you think; white or blue? I was also thinking of painting the studs on the left shoulderpad white, with later to be added metallic battledamage to some. Or should I make them metal altogether? Same goes for the small skull on the bolter btw...

let's hear it! :P

Nothing eh?

Well, then I'll just slave away on my own. No biggie... See; I even finished the first of the five marines! :D

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/FLCombatSquadMarine1Front.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/FLCombatSquadMarine1Left.jpg

And here's the promissed comparisson with his RT forerunner. Side by side, the pose is actually quite different but it's fun to see miniatures have come a long way in 20 years. :(

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/FLCombatSquadMarine1ComparissonRTmarine.jpg

All that remains now is the decal with the chapter symbol, but I need a decal solvent thingamafluid to make it fit the curve (I normally freehand them all but I didn't have these sheets full of symbols professionally made for nothing). So, I'll try to get me some of that tomorrow.

And I think I sort of solved the photo issue; the colours are very near the real life ones now. Hurrah! :D

They look great so far.

The thing I love about your marines is that they make me think of the old days :lol:

The Rogue Trader days that is. Reminds me me of why I fell in love with this hobby to begin with. So, thanks!!!

Looking forward to see more.

Better days,

Lookin' good Daeothar! The orange looks excellent, did it photograph better this time? i particularly like the lenses.

Cheers Sands; this is (almost) the exact tone of orange they have in real life. It took a bit of doing to get the right setup but I'm glad I took the time; paintjob looks so much better like this.

Celestial Lions FTW (thats what your scheme reminds me of, looking good!

Actually, the Celestial Lions are a Fiery Lions successor chapter. Yes that's right (well; in my personal 40K universe they are :) ). And now they have a bone to pick with a certain Inquisitor, about the demise of their (as far as we know) only successor chapter...

Great work here Daeothar! Although with your new scheme I may have inadvertently painted up two squads of Terminators from your chapter and sold them on! :S :P

And I'm sure they looked great. This paintscheme is not exclusively theirs mind you. How many blue, red and green chapters are out there? I'm sure there's room for more than one orange with blue helmets and shoulderpads chapter in the Imperium. And otherwise, we might inadvertedly have stumbled upon another successor chapter! Imagine that... :)

I've had laser surgery done to my eyes a couple of months ago and had a checkup yesterday morning, during which they dropped my eyes with some sort of muscle relaxant. This is not the first time and I find it annoying as heck, as you loose the power to focus your eyesight for a couple of days. So no painting this entire weekend and just when I was in the zone. Dang it. Just typing this poses all kinds of difficulties and takes forever.

Still; I managed to scrounge up the picture I was referring to in my earlier post. Way back in WD 145 this was. I thought that because of my lack of progress this weekend, I'd be fun to show you this instead Yes; those are Blood Angels!

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/RogueTraderBloodAngels.jpg

Still; I managed to scrounge up the picture I was referring to in my earlier post. Way back in WD 145 this was. I thought that because of my lack of progress this weekend, I'd be fun to show you this instead Yes; those are Blood Angels!

If you can get your hands on WD139 you'll find a 'build and paint an army' article on those BA (including the first ever appearance of Captain Tycho) and the following month in WD140 a battle report between the Blood Angels and Alaitoc Eldar shown in in your pic ;)

The finished mini is looking great Daeo, I like the addition of the blue helmet, together with the pads, it creates a focal point that draws the eye to the face (well, helmet) of the mini... will this be the scheme for all the FL from now on?

• 2 weeks later...
The finished mini is looking great Daeo, I like the addition of the blue helmet, together with the pads, it creates a focal point that draws the eye to the face (well, helmet) of the mini... will this be the scheme for all the FL from now on?

Cheers RT. Yes; the scheme will be like this. I like the blue helmets better than the orange ones and the white trims seemed to distract form the overall look. White will feature here and there, like on kneepads and the like but a lot less than in the earlier scheme. I'm also not decided on whether or not there will be litanies (in white) all over the armour as on previous marines. The scouts have them and I like them on those but we'll have to see if this works with the new scheme.

Progress! -_-

Here's a WIP (pre cleaning up!) of two other squad members. I hsve a couple of days off coming up, so I'm fully expecting to finish them before the end of this week:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/FieryLionsTacSquad/CombatSquad1/FLsquad2_3WIP.jpg

Full tilt to glory! :P

I personally do like the white trims, but yes, it does distract. At current you have the orange and blue which are contrasting colours. Ideally, you would tone one down, making it darkish, supporting the other colour, but overall what you have now is a nice balance. Any other colours would confuzzle the eye. Perhaps instead of white, you could go the 'new' UM style, where the colours are replaced with metallic variants, so instead of white, try silver? maybe mithril?

Archived