[LPC]Marine Renegades

Shiodome

Howdy, i've had the bits to start this project for a while now and the LPC seems like the way to get it kick started. Using the Dark Angels, Vanilla Marines and Chaos Marine ranges I intend to create a 'renegades' force. It will be a mix of equipment to show them using whatever is available, for some coherancy through the force i will try for chaos helmets, dark angels torso's (robes), and a mix of imperial and chaos shoulder pads/weapons. Pretty much a good excuse to use up some bitz and make something distinctly my own :D

So... nothing exciting yet. Here's the test model pre-cleaning, to be painted soon (small picture, because well... not much happening yet)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/LPC001.jpg

Going for a LOT of heraldry in the paint scheme, to try and push my freehand and hopefully improve. Also to tie in with the character of my force (the vague idea is a group of warriors with high martial pride, who felt unrecognised and insufficiently rewarded for their glorious deeds for the emperor, held back by petty, jealous lesser men... the beaurocrats. now on their own, they proudly display their personal lineage/acheivements etc still fighting for humanity, but not for the imperium... indeed there's a strong feeling that only by the destruction of the archaic crumbling imperium will humanity have it's chance to flourish and survive)

erm... updates soon.

A question though... which would be the better codex to represent this idea? Chaos or Space Wolves (i have the former but not the later). I want the freedom for as many warriors as possible to have their own wargear (instead of most in a squad being identical), to represent the marines embracing the freedom to chose how they fight now no longer bound by the index astartes. the Chaos list allows this to an extent (i will simply choose not too take anything 'god' related or deamony), but i'm told the space wolves allow even more individual customisation? but am wary with a new codex coming that this facet will be lost and i'd have a lot of useless models. any thoughts regarding this would be helpful. :)

started slapping some paint on today. ended up deciding to go for a scheme losely based on medieval english royal heraldry... because i want more of a 'knight' feel to the marines, and wanted a colour scheme that isn't 'evil' looking from a distance (to help players know they're not chaos etc). also wanted to fit yellow into a scheme for a while, as it's a real weak point in my painting, and want to face (and conqour) that fear ;)

Front

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG001.jpg

Back

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG002.jpg

Still early days, more progress 'Soon'[tm].

peakey: they're going to be 'renegades'. they don't worship chaos, but as far as the imperium is concerned they're definitely heretics. will be using the chaos codex most likely and just not use the more 'chaosy' stuff.

200plus: the vague idea is that each 10 man marine unit will be the equivalent to a knight and his 'men at arms'. so the army as a whole will wear the Lords colours (red/yellow) and each unit will bear the crest/heraldry of their 'knight' (aka sergeant)

don't have a problem with the hand myself Mal. if left to hang from the elbow, the 1st finger will naturally be straighter than the other 3 which will normally be curled. probably is a bit too straight, but in real life doesn't look so much like it's pointing downwards, as the arm is positioned behind the line of the body (i.e how you swing your arm backwards when walking fast). i'll give a bit of though as to how to bend that finger slightly though, as god is in the details and it would be an improvement.

started on the heraldry. happy with this design for my 1st squad

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG003.jpg

took me too long, but as i said... doing this to push myself a bit more and improve freehand and other things. getting more enthusiastic about the project as it goes on though :) when i started i had the idea but couldn't picture how it'd turn out, and thought it might look cluttered but it's going fine so far.

question, given the knightly theme... back banners for squad sergeants, yes/no? not normally a fan of them but just occured to me they might be appropriate here for once.

started on the heraldry. happy with this design for my 1st squad

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG003.jpg

wow. :jaw:

question, given the knightly theme... back banners for squad sergeants, yes/no? not normally a fan of them but just occured to me they might be appropriate here for once.

yes - though maybe as hand-held banners carried by on eof the men at arms (company icon banner, maybe?)

oooh you're right, i'm using chaos codex, so could use a marine with banner as my 'icon of choas undivided'! don't think it stretches the fluff too far to say having their personal banner allows rerolls on morale (rather than it being anything to do with chaos glory)

First, let me say I'm amazed by the free hand work so far.

I'm not really sure you would need a banner on the SGT, as everyone would be wearing the heraldry. Adding a banner may bee TOO much of a good thing :jaw:

Just a thought.

Thanks 200+/cathar :D

Finally gave up on finding space wolf codex at a decent price, so downloaded a .pdf and it's perfect for what i want to do! plus the idea of a lord on bike accompanied by 4 wolves could be done as a knight lord on bike with 4 hunting hounds, as some kind of 'master of the hunt'. which i really want to do now. running the risk of modelling stuff and then it becoming illegal in a few months though >_<

He's coming along

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG005.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG004.jpg

anyway i'm stuck. i made progress but can't decide what colour to do the bolter. was thinking of a weathered grey (fairly light) with kill markings?

This is one of the coolest schemes ever. The heraldry is excellent. I would also definately go for the banners.

And how about some knight bikers, WITH GREY KNIGHT GLAVES. That would be the coolest thing EVER. Just a suggestion though.

yay as far as i'm concerned the test mini is finished, and i'm happy with the scheme

changed the helmet crest as didn't think the red worked, and opted for the grey boltgun in the end. thought the metal on the powerfist needed something to break it up, so added the black/white checks.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG008.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG007.jpg

Next to add another 4 to this squad, and half my LPC is finished \o/

C&C appreciated. :)

thanks whiplash/dustermaker :D getting into the project and kit-bashed a bike for my commander from bits lying about. bonus points to anyone that knows where all the bits are from :P

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/ENG010.jpg

going to add cables running from the 3 'cylinders' above the front wheel cover, and various wiring gubbins. waiting for some ravenwing sergent legs ordered from a bits site... so will probably get this pinated and finished whilst i wait. Going to be a Lord Wielding a Lance, with a shield slung over his back, 'jousting knight' style, with 2 wardogs accompanying (representing Wolf Lord on Bike, with frost blade and 2 fenrisian wolves)

Gotta be honest; I hate that helmet on him.

If you'd used a mk4, or maybe even space marine'd up a knight helmet from the Brettonian range, that would have been perfect. Heck, even a normal space marine helmet, but that one just removes the ambiguity of it all..

That being said, the rest is awesome. You've set the bar.

agree with you NemFX, my little secret is that it's not glued on :D ... waiting for a bunch of 'Chaos Warrior' Helmets i want to use. They can look quite good with the horns cut off. but won't get them until a mate starts his choas army, which could be a month or two. so this'll do in the meantime.

this guy looks beautiful, shiodome, excellent freehand on robes and shoulder! love the idea of squad banners/icon bearers, and the hunting hounds.

just a thought, you could also give one of your characters, maybe a psyker or something, a hunting hawk on their wrist (if C:SW, do a counts as Njal(sp?) Stormcaller with cyber raven or with C:CSM, a sorcerer with familiar?)

bonus points to anyone that knows where all the bits are from :P

Ooh, is that a challenge good sir?

Space Marine Bike

Attack Bike support rail

Devastator Lascannon Sight

2nd edition Bolter

Dreadnought Searchlight ór Devastator Sergeant Signum (can't tell from this angle)

Space Marine backpack exhausts

Devastator backpack lid

Did I forget anything?

Nice work so far. I like the work on the marine, especially the heraldry and paintscheme. I too concur on the helmet but as you will be fixing that, it's all good... :)

haha a noble attempt good sir, but you got two wrong :lol:

the thing you labelled 'attack bike support rail' is 2 halves of a plastic wood elf bow, and the signum (i think you're refering to the bit on the back?) is a searchlight from a predator, though might be the same as the dreadnought one? you certainly earned a cookie though. \o/

Archived