DIY Chapter: Golden Avengers

In accord with my given oath in the Librarium Painting Challenge, this thread shall mark the progress I make in beginning my new chapter of space marines: the Golden Avengers.

I was tempted at first to do Mentors, but I fear white paint may reveal to many 'lack of modeling skill' sins. Not to mention, I cannot afford to get a bunch of the cool GW Mentor shoulder pad bitz right now.

As I get ready to tear the celophane from my new tactical box, I find myself pondering a decent color scheme. Inspired by my fave comic book hero who went big screen last year, I came up with the three patterns I am debating on. The last one is just the standard Iron Man pattern.

Which, if any, stand out as more space marine?

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

If I get a few models ahead of my promised tactical squad, I will make them paint-test figures.

[Edit]

I tweaked the colors to more closely match GW paints:

Blood Red (hex# CF3638, a 0.269 match according to B&C SM Painter)

Shining Gold (hex# FFC166, a 2.759 match according to B&C SM Painter)

[/Edit]

Being a huge comic fan, I'm really liking #3 hahaha. Go Ironman!

#1 would be my second choice but like Lt.Doobie said, get some test figures pumped out and see what works.

Thank you for all of your comments.

So far, it is #1 & #3 in a tie!

On another note, what type of gold colouring are you going for? The metallic gold colour or yellow based?

I am going for a metallic gold. I do not quite have the knack with the SM Painter to get the gold quite right. Not to mention, the color on screen is difficult for me to eyeball since it is illuminated rather than an opaque color. Anyone have a decent 'gold' to be used for the Painter? :D

If those are the options, I'm leaning towards the first one. The third one looks like ironman, in a bad way.

Yes, the third may be too direct an homage to ol' shellhead. Although, if I lose the red boots and go for the gold legs of #1 & #3 it would make them more 'golden'. And I had not even considered the company markings as JoeG1701 pointed out. So, aNex88 & Peakey, it is still in the running! At least until I get a test model to make me think otherwise.

Kable & Mortfis' comments lead me to want to keep the black or white inset color on the shoulder pads.

Maybe I can make the company color the inset on the shoulder, i.e. white for 1st, red for 2nd, black for 5th, etc.

Either that, or the inset color could be white for an Apothecary, blue for a Librarian, black for a Chaplain.

Not only a hovering Librarian, but a floating black-amored Chaplain could make a cool War Machine!

Let me not get too ahead of myself and just focus on the tactical squad I need to be building.

Please, keep the comments coming!

I like the both schemes,but #1 isn't as noticably Iron man as #3.

If you want people to notice them as 'Iron man' marines choose #3,

If you want them to sort of resemble Iron man's colours but subtle-ly, choose #1

Cool war machine idea! :D

The Librarium Painting Contest deadline is at 53 days 12 hours 11 minutes.

Here is my progress so far:

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/GoldenAvengers/2009LPC01.jpg

I am a bit slow compared to others on these boards, but I want to do my best.

I am going to tackle some filing to smooth out the moldlines before attaching the arms, heads, etc. I figured it would make it easier to reach anything the other bits may block later.

Does that seem a good plan, or is it usually not worth it and I should just build the whole model before filing?

#3 Its the only one that looks good in my opinion. Who cares if it resembles Iron Man to much thats what you built it to do, remind you of him. I build allmine one at a time and paint them, but thats takes forever.

Archived