[LPC] Wolf Priest WIP

Combat_Vet

Greetings,

I'll be building a Wolf Priest for the LPC. I've got just the basic body started.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/ExplodedpriestWIP.jpg

I do have a few questions and would like some input:

1) Are non-shooty chaplains worth having?

I was thinking of giving him a crozius and a frost axe, but I could give him a plasma pistol and strap the Crozius to

his back.

2) Wolf priests without the Helm of Russ?

If he isn't going to have the HoR, should I give him a normal head?

3) Wolfs and flames?

I really like the look of the flames on some GW miniatures. I want to try to add them to the Wolf, but is it fluffy?

4) I do not play the game (long story). I am building this army to try and get into the playing aspect of the hobby. Is a

Wolf Priest in PA the right choice, or should I be doing it as a termie?

As always, any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Better days,

Its up to you, but I'd rather give him a pistol. The Crozius on his back may be a good idea form a modelling pospective, but I'm pretty sure he's be holding it.

If you were being really strict yes, but I don't think it would really matters. It depends how you want him to look. Play around with some different heads and see what you like.

3) Wolfs and flames?

I really like the look of the flames on some GW miniatures. I want to try to add them to the Wolf, but is it fluffy?

Not really no, but its totally up to you if you want to make them fluffy or not.

4) I do not play the game (long story). I am building this army to try and get into the playing aspect of the hobby. Is a

Not if you don't have a Termie squad in the army. Depends what squad/who he's going into battle with really, and how may points you have spare.

Anyways, hope to see it built rather than in a pile of bits, hurry up and take pics! :)

Hey Starbuck ive played space wolves for a few years and under the new rules and question and anwser there is technically no benefit to taking the wolf helm of russ as it counts as a holy relic and says see codex space marine ...new codex space marine has no holy relic......

i would also say don't go with the frost axe as well. it would look really cool, but isn't 100%worth the points. i kind of like you idea of one weapon on his back and a pistol of some sorts in his hand.

if you really want a wolf priest with a frost axe make sure you get a pistol on his hip to make it a little less point heavy if you want to use it in a game.

The glue and wire is done on the torso. Tonight, I'll do the GS work and start on the legs. I should admit that I'm stealing ideas from the B&C :) But, I think if I find it in the tutorial section, then it's not theft!!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/TorsoWIP.jpg

Better days,

Allow me to comment in my inimitable style!

I was thinking of giving him a crozius and a frost axe, but I could give him a plasma pistol and strap the Crozius to

his back.

You can have him posed however you like, and just say he has a Crozius and a Plasma Pistol. Mine (pic at bottom) has a Sword and Crozius modelled, but a BP for game perposes. So far noones complained.

Only Ulric has the HoR, and it's a defunct wargear item now anywho. If you want to give him a Wolf Skull helm however, this is fine.

3) Wolfs and flames?

Say he's a Priest of the Fire Wolf, and done.

Entirely up to you. Mine's in PA and rarely lets me down. He's a solid low level HQ choice who is cheap on Points and I field him regularly.

Here's mine for inspiration (apologies for the shoddy pic), good luck. It has potential.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii189/vassakov/DSCN0443.jpg

Greets,

OK I started on the legs and wanted some input. Should I go with or without "hip plates"?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/WIPcomparison.jpg

@vassakov - thanks for the ideas and the inspiration :rolleyes:

Better days,

The wire is normal craft wire. I use 20 gauge for the inside and wrap26 gauge around it. It comes out about the right size for cables and I use it mostly for barbed wire.

Better days,

i'd nix the hip plates and use the "belt pouches" that you see in the space wolf bits. The brown leather pouches can provide a nice contrast.

Here is a picture of my converted wolf priest:

gallery_33642_2040_156535.jpg

He has the sword/powerfist combo that was so good in second edition. You can't really see it well from that angle, but I used flames to provide some color and contrast on the fist. I think it works well. I'd also advise some pelt work with GS. You seem comfortable with that sort of thing, and it's pretty easy. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the model.

edited for spelling.

Thanks all,

@starbuck - yep, plastic rod. i'm trying to make a PA marine from a termie body. plastic rod seems to be my best option.

@Grimfoe - I'm about 5 hours from any shop where I can get new stuff. Ordering online for one mini seems like a waste to

me. Besides, if I go to the GW site I'll break down and order $1000 worth of stuff I don't need. I already have a

bits box that takes up 3 foot lockers. (and no army!! ;) )

Better days,

Use the first head. The second head doesn't look skull-like, it looks Chaos like. If I saw him across a table it would pick that out for me.

Space Wolves are reknowned for going (on the tabletop and in the fluff) without their helmets, as the helmets dull their senses of smell and sight (which are much improved over regular marines). A helmetless head would fit right in!

Greets,

Last update for the day. Even I have to sleep.

I started the GS work on the frost axe. Not really sure if it will come out very well.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/AxeheadWIP.jpg

I'm gonna go with the bare head, I'll add some facial hair and some braids. Thanks for all the replies.

better days,

Looking good.

I personally think the teeth and runestone are a tad (read way much) too large, but I can't sculpt that well myself so maybe I should shut up :P

The cables are too big for my taste as well, but the idea is pretty well executed.

I also like how you are making the legs, better than most true scalers who don't even fill in the bars of the termy legs or do a lousy job at it.

Update fast!

Beork

Archived