(LPC) Lamenters

Leonaides

gallery_19254_3100_96933.jpg

Assuming that works, this is the first picture of my soon-to-be Lamenters. Removed from sprues, mold-lines cleaned (mostly, I think) and ready for undercoating (some already undercoated though - ran out of spray).

And so it begins...

Its a brave new world... A new chapter, a new paint scheme and trying new techniques. I'm gonna be using the yellow foundation paint and I want them to be noticably darker than any IF's - I'm definately more after a 'mustard' rather than an 'egg yolk' yellow.

And I'm glad I've just found this thread again - there was some 'squeaky bum time' when I thought I'd have to go beg a mod to help me avoid fialing at this early stage.

Anyway - to stay on topic, I'm off to undercoat the rest of them now. Pic may have to wait till tomorrow, and I'm aiming to have at least a test model done to tabeltop standard by the weekend, if not a terminator too.

Hold fire on the tar and feathers - I've got my test models mostly done (just a few bits of trim to sort). And yes, I am intending to drill the barrels, but need to get on with the painting first.

gallery_19254_3100_45472.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_8656.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_31043.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_16978.jpg

Now, I have hit upon a couple of questions I could do with some help with...

Chapter symbol:

Ok, its a bleeding heart. Now in theory I could probably paint it on (just about), but this being a new chapter and new painting method for me, etc, I'd like to try my hand at doing some greenstuff moulding. Plus, this would have the added bonus that all my hearts would end up mostly the same. So, what I could do with some help with is locating a heart that I can use as a template. Unfortunately, the computer I'm using at the moment really hasnt got the guts to handle the GW site, added to the fact its always better to see the actual models rather than a picture, so I'm asking if any of you happen to know where I might find a suitable heart - my first thought would be somewhere in the high or dark elf ranges (but I'm not really familiar with them). Any suggestions?

Chest eagle:

White? Or red? I've seen a couple of IF's with red chest eagles that looked ok, but I'm not sure that would work as well with these guys (as they're darker yellow), so I'm open to suggestions at the moment - keep white, change to red, or what...

My Lamenters are mostly scouts, but on the few PA ones, I gave them black chest eagles, and I'm going to do an effect on that black to either make it look like gold, or like marble. Haven't decided yet, but it's just another idea for you to consider.

THe checker patter wont be too much of a problem (done it on a few older models previously), but I dont want to cover the pads in too much paint if I'm gonna be putting moulded hearts on it, cos then they'll just be stuck to paint, and I want to make sure the heart is right with the size of square. Highlights will happen, but at the moment I'm just aiming for tabletop standard - I figure that if I can get everyone done to a basic standard then its just a matter of whipping out the sunburst yellow and doing a quick edge highlight...

@NemFX - any chance of a pic?

I use red gore for my chest eagles followed by a pretty heavy chestnut ink wash and then drybrush a little blood red on there too. I dunno if i like the white eagles too much, but I think black could look really good. Another member of this board uses purple, but youd have to ask him about that. Other than that these are looking good so far, and keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, after much lateness and RL distractions - next few pictures. These guys are mostly done, with a few purity seals to do on the terminators, and 3 of them still need the chequer-board pattern but ho-hum. For now, picture proof I'm still plugging away at them:

gallery_19254_3100_65378.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_914.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_6463.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_67928.jpg

Things I have learned:

Yellow's getting better - as I suspected, its something I'll get better with practice at judging.

Red eye lenses look like Cylons - after realising I'd forgotten to put the red crest on the helmets, I have discovered a flaw. May have to move to green or even blue (eek!).

Red chest eagles seem ok, I've been snooping around looking at IF pictuers and think that red is probably the way to go (even if it is backsliding a bit towards normal BA's!).

I know the pics are a bit pants, but I'll try and get some better ones soon - I've run out of plastic glue and need to hit GW after work to resupply before I can actually start sticking bits together and doing bases (planning on a city-fight-ish theme).

Opinions? Or are the photos just too pants?

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_19254_3100_90159.jpg

What have I learnt today? - A blind corner and an icy road dont mix well with an oncoming 4x4. Car written off, but gave me more time to get stuff painted! So at the moment, I'm about half way through my vow (not quite bricking it yet though)

• 2 weeks later...

Last few days to go, and for the first time this month I'm confident I'll get them done. Having miscounted both the number of days left, and the number of models I still hadnt done at teh start of the week there was some frantic paining late last nite. But here are some progress shots so far (and one fo my major distractions as well - complerte with glowing eyes)

gallery_19254_3100_51603.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_11236.jpg

There are a few honours that still need painting, and most of the purity seals need inking, but I'm fairly happy that this lot are 'gaming standard' - or at least they would do for games against teh guys I play round here :) .

And now, this evenings WIP - get two more tacs mostly done and details on the other two tacs and the terminator. We'll see how successful I am tomorrow (although its CSI night so I might not get all the details done).

gallery_19254_3100_42309.jpg

Last minute encouragement still appreciated - the number of visitors to this thread is huge, the number of good lucks, a bit less so.

Last minute encouragement still appreciated - the number of visitors to this thread is huge, the number of good lucks, a bit less so.
No encouragement from me!

Not a big fan of the mustard; it doesn't seem to be playing nicely with the red you have--a more 'purple' red, like Mechrite rather than Blood would work better with that rich mustard. A person much smarter than me can probably explain it better, it's "weight" or "brightness" is off from the rest of the colours used. Or, my eyes are broken (which is really the more likely conclusion :D )

But mustard-schmustard, those checks are very nice. When you finish and put these in the Hall of Honor, definately give us a close up, your brush work looks great.

I'm very likely going to Lamenters-up my AoBR marines as well and I'm definately in the mood to steal that thicker helmet stripe. That's really sharp.

Well I'm a Lamenters player, and I feel the mustard yellow brings the "over-use" of the gears they have (which is fluff-true). But that's when I use yellow ink with my brown ink (which Im running dangerously low -- ugh).

Sorry, no pic tonight - i'm just too tired to battle with a monumentally dumb computer set-up to get them uploaded now. Its been an evening of details today - backpacks, bolters and purity seals etc... On the plus side, I'm just about ready to glue the next 5 marines together, then its just 3 bodies to paint, then assemble and I'm done.

The checked pattern - I'll admit, I'm cheating. A fine line pencil (one of those with the separate lead sticks (0.5 HB leads if you're interested) and a drawing pen (Staedtler 03 size pigment liner) and jobs a good'un. I'll probably put a quick tutorial up after I'm finished on how to do it if its not already done. I probably could paint the black on, but I'd rather not screw it up by slipping with the brush, while I get better control with the pen.

I know what you mean about the red, and I may take some test models into my local store and ask to try some of the other reds, but it does attract the eye to the helmet area, and away from the worst of my brushmarks elsewhere. I wanted to use a duller yellow than plain sunburst and thought this would be a good way to get it. I just dont think mariens on a penitent crusade would neccessarily have the tim eto get their kit all spick and span every time they go into battle and re-sup might be getting difficult by now (dont ask me to then explain the terminators though).

I might try a white undercoat and then inks for some of the next batch, but as I've only just started painting waht already looks like being a full battle company plus extras, I'm not gonna settle into a permanent scheme just yet.

The checked pattern - I'll admit, I'm cheating. A fine line pencil (one of those with the separate lead sticks (0.5 HB leads if you're interested) and a drawing pen (Staedtler 03 size pigment liner) and jobs a good'un.
That's not cheating at all. A pen is as valid a coloring tool as a brush, ink is as valid a pigment medium as paint. Is airbrushing cheating? Using spray primer? Washing? Dipping? Drybrushing? Layering?

That's a pretty big commitment to be only a few marines away from... Go, go, go and maybe you'll be done in time to take the weekend off.

P.S.: If you think the red eyes are getting lost in the red strip, I'd suggest considering black eyes.

Good lord above, the monster is nearly dead!

Finished models:

gallery_19254_3100_4242.jpg

Last 3 to finish:

gallery_19254_3100_17054.jpg

Detail Pic showing green eyes (and an unfinished bolter - D'oh!)

gallery_19254_3100_40884.jpg

Next post'll be the finish-line, and I'll be able to have a beer (or 3, already chillin in the fridge ready for the celebrations!)

By Jove, I think he's done it..................

gallery_19254_3100_36387.jpg

Group shot (to show I'm not doing a GW and using the same models each time)

gallery_19254_3100_75717.jpg

Termies - By now you'll all have spotted one of them still has a white chest eagle and a black crux in the middle - I'm planning on fixing that in the morning when I'll have more time to do some better photos (and wont be quite so tipsy!)

There is no chapter symbol (bleeding heart) on the pads yet cos I've not decided how I'm gonna do that yet, or worked out how to paint it comfortably yet. But still, with the cheqered pad they're definately distinguishable from IF's. The helmet stripe I have since realised I've done wrong - the lamenters one should only be on the upper part of the helmet, but I've managed to borrow the full-face stripe from the minotaurs. But hey - I like it.

Be that as it may - I'm saying "job's a fish". One completed vow - 2 ten man tactical squads and a 5 man terminator squad from Assault on Black Reach, painted in Lamenters colours, to tabletop/gaming standard. In the morning i'm off to find my completion sig, and some of those nifty flags a few of the frater have (for BA's and Lamenters obviously). Thank-you very much for watching, I'm now gonna go find more alcomofrol... :ph34r:

@teh_perfesser: Yep, the green eyes was one I picked up painting my BA assault marines with yellow helmets - just kicking myself I didnt think about it sooner. Its the old ork flesh green, which i use for all my vision slits on vehicles, and on most of my marines now (apart from these first few guys cos I'm a muppet).

There is no chapter symbol (bleeding heart) on the pads yet cos I've not decided how I'm gonna do that yet, or worked out how to paint it comfortably yet. But still, with the cheqered pad they're definately distinguishable from IF's.
You could paint it, it's not a hard symbol to do. I'm thinking of making a 3D molding on the heart (got the idea from looking at those cinimon candy hearts)... it'd be tough to get the shape 100% right, but I figure I only need to get one right then make 20 or 30 molds of it--I'd still paint the blood since it would be a bit fiddly to do. Decals would work to.

The helmet stripe I have since realised I've done wrong - the lamenters one should only be on the upper part of the helmet, but I've managed to borrow the full-face stripe from the minotaurs. But hey - I like it.
I think its better the way you have it. Much better.

A few slightly better pictures:

gallery_19254_3100_25570.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_41522.jpg

(note - chest eagle and crux done now!)

gallery_19254_3100_52219.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_79926.jpg

gallery_19254_3100_51848.jpg

Now I've just got to double that lot, with an additional terminator squad, and 3 dreadnoughts. And then the two devastator squads and the assault squad, adn then teh drop-pods and then I might be able to think about another landraider or two! I could have sworn I said I wasnt going to buy much GW stuff for a while. Darn it!

Archived