++Alpha Legion+WIP++

aNex88

Hey guys. I've quite frankly gotten sick and tired of painting yellow so I'm taking a little break from my Imperial Fists this week. I scrounged up some extra chaos marine parts and threw together 5 marines. Here's a WIP of one of them.

gallery_24625_3123_159867.jpg

This pic was actually taken at the start of the week. I'm actually quite far in progress with painting the 5 marines. Hopefully I'll get more pictures up soon.

I'm testing out some scales right now. They're not gonna be as cartooney as they look on p.69 in the codex. And they're not going to be in the 'U' shaped look, more like criss-crosses like a snake's. Hope it turns out alright <_<

Scweeet! More Alpha Legion Loving. That 3 of us starting Alpha armies in the last couple of weeks or so. Yours is looking really good, the green highlighting of the blue looks really nice. What color are you going to do your trim? Green or Silver?

Agreed, great to see more people doing Alphas. I've never understood why they get so little love. And this guy looks really good. The highlighting looks clean (cleaner than mine, anyways) and the silver trim looks good. Can't wait to see him finished.

As a side note, if you're planing on making a whole army of these guys, how would you field them to represent cultists?

Well, right now, I only have plans to field a 1700 pt army of them and as of right now, I have no plans for cultists. But I was tinkering around the idea of using the lesser summoned daemons as cultists, model them as infiltrating guardsmen or something like that. We'll see how my army comes along. You can click here for my mock up 1700 list.

The trims are all going to be silver. I think it contrasts pretty well with the darker armour.

I think that Alphas got so little love because of what little we know about them. I thought of doing an army of these guys right after I finished reading Legion which, by the way, is an awesome read.

...But I was tinkering around the idea of using the lesser summoned daemons as cultists, model them as infiltrating guardsmen or something like that...

I too am using the summoned daemons rule for my cultists, although they will be more the dirty, oppressed rabble type (using Flagellents for the models)

@Starbuck_

I started with a basecoat of 50/50 regal blue and chaos black. Then I painted the armour regal blue and slowly blended upwards to 20/80 regal blue to snot green. Then I washed it all with asurmen blue. Then I did some final highlights with 50/50 scorpion green and snot green. Then I did a final wash.

The silver was done with a basecoat of Boltgun metal, washed with badab black, then highlighted the edges roughly with chainmail.

Here are 3 pretty-much completed legionaires. Just have to base them. I need something contrasting to them, except keep it alpha-legiony.

This is just a regular CSM.

gallery_24625_3123_356489.jpg

The following two are part of my chosen squads. All my chosen are going to have the modified backpack. I really like the backpack, especially when the eyes are painted. I just think to myself that the enemy will think they're facing up against 3 separate people. Sort of plays on the 3-headed hydra logo/theme.

gallery_24625_3123_93859.jpg

gallery_24625_3123_316664.jpg

The hydra logos are free-handed. I'm not a fan of transfers unless I absolutely need to. I like how they differ, each logo isn't a carbon-copy of the last one.

I'm still contemplating putting some scales on them. I've fiddled with a couple schemes but nothing really works for me. I might just leave them as is and base them.

Here are just some more WIP stuff. First one is going to belong to one of my chosen squads.

gallery_24625_3123_417279.jpg

This one is a regular CSM AC. I'm not pleased at how the horns turned out. I don't think I'll use this head with the horns again. I'll shave them off to look like my chosen in the above picture.

gallery_24625_3123_391085.jpg

3 more Marines I built. Arms are sticky-tacked on. I'm gluing/painting them after I finish painting the bodies.

gallery_24625_3123_27218.jpg

Oh yeah...those imperial fists in the background are on hiatus haha. I've gotten really tired of painting yellow marines...

Those are looking freaking sweet my brother.

I love the backpacks on the chosen. It will really help make them stand out from the rank and file legionaires. I will be using the DA robed bodies for mine. Just need to figure out what color to do the robes.

Co-incidentally and most helpfully, they also answer the question I have been asking myself: What color to do the weapons? Handily enough, they look good with gunmetal weapons, which makes my life easier all around.

I look foward to seeing more.

Excellent Alhpas,good job!I have to agree with you on the cutting the horns off the champion helmet.It looks sooo much better and sinister without them.Plus,i dont think the sneaky Alphas would risk exposure because of half a metre long horns on their heads...

Keep up the good work!

I tried to change heads for the AC with the horns but couldn't salvage it. So I built a new AC with power fist, in the same pose as before with the same torso. I like how this one looks more. The night vision goggles make him look more "infiltrationey"

gallery_24625_3123_741507.jpg

Wow, just digging through random stuff that I've missed over the last few weeks. This really sprang out at me, and just wanted to post to give some more support and another thumbs up here. Seriously nice AL man, you're doing them pretty much exactly how I'd do them so far, if I had the skills. Keep it up ^_^

I tried to change heads for the AC with the horns but couldn't salvage it. So I built a new AC with power fist, in the same pose as before with the same torso. I like how this one looks more. The night vision goggles make him look more "infiltrationey"

It's Sam Fisher of the 41st Millenium!

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing the rest of the army.

Archived