Captain Idaeus of the Ultramarines 4th Company(Update 29/1)

Sir Clausel

Well I needed a captain which could count as having a relic blade and at relicforums there was/is a coversion competition. Then I thourgth why not join it?

So this is my entry:

Some of the GS work might look very rubbish because I have cutted in it, but I guess as soon as the under coat is on it wont be able to be seen anyway.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Ultramarines/WIP/HPIM1055.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Ultramarines/WIP/HPIM1057.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Ultramarines/WIP/HPIM1058.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Ultramarines/WIP/HPIM1059.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated :)

looks GREAT how do you sculp shoulder eagles like that?

I wish I could sculpt like that. The truth is that its a mold from the emperors champion model. Just removed the gem and sculpted an "U".

The bolter is really not that hard to do. Just hard to explain. But all you need is a little GS, little plasticard and plasticard tubes.

The cape looks a tad rough, though.
About the "rough" part I see to possible meanings from that: 1, the cape it self is not as real life like it could be. But this is my secound try at GS'ing a cape so I find it okay. I could maybe do it better if Id try.

2, is if the GS is looking rough instead of smooth I can tell its from the filing and such I have done to it. But I can tell you that after the undercoat is on its not anything you can see.

Dude that is looking sweet! Maybe you could also try and make the guard around the sword in the shape of the Ultramarines Omega sign if you know what i mean...(or just leave it as it is). Am liking what you did to the legs with the GS!

Very cool captain. Love the pose and his relic blade. I just have to say that the cape looks quite rough though. I also don't think you need that extra lengthened barrel for his bolter, I think it'd look fine without but that's just me.

Nice conversation, like what you did with the legs.

But, gonna play the role of "Devils Advocate" here.

Relic Blade = 2h, no?

Bolter = 2h.

And iirc, unless it's changed in the 5th end rules. You can only have one 2h weapon per model. (I don't have a 5th end rulebook yet. :<)

Anyways, if that's still the case. Magnets?

Else you won't be able to use it as a relic blade, which would slightly defeat some of the initial purpose of the model.

I could be wrong though.

I don't have my codex with me right now, but I don't recall it specifically saying that the Relic Blade is a two-handed weapon, only that it doesn't confer a bonus attack for having a close combat weapon with it. Anyone have the codex to verify?

Yeah, I had this discussion the other day. (In regards to Relic Blades as two handers.) While the fluff says two hands the rules dont and, on page 108 of the Codex we have two Ultrasmurf Honour Guards with relic blades and Bolters, according to the Caption.

Anyway, I love the conversion. Can't wait to see him with a lick of paint.

Maybe you could also try and make the guard around the sword in the shape of the Ultramarines Omega sign if you know what i mean

Yeah I know. I also thourgt about it. But I decided against because there would be too many "U"s then. There is already 1 on the kneepad, 1 on the helmet, 1 on the sword acually, 1 on the eagle shoulderpad and Im going to paint 1 on the other shoulder pad + more might be painted on. But Im probably going to do so on another mini.

It's nice, but he's missing a kneepad?
Yeah. I did that on purpose because I wanted him to be a little different.

you should have him standing on a demolition charge
and with a plasma pistol ;) But this is Idaeus before that battle, we could say.

All: The legs I have tryed to do like the Mk 3(I believe it is) armor thats shown in the new dex.

Thanks a lot for al the kind words. I hope I can paint him up to a standard that get the same kind words from you :D

Hopefully this will do for now for all the "I want to see some paint on it" replies!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Ultramarines/WIP/HPIM1062.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Ultramarines/WIP/HPIM1063.jpg

I could see before I resized them that I need to go over with the blue basecoat color again as I could see some spots that needs attention.

What you think?

I think there are a ton of people on this website who just browse and look and don't comment. I try to get around to everyones work and compliment/critique but sometimes I don't make it around to everything. I love your work. Great modeling and even better painting and highlighting. I think it's good.

I wish more people would post. It's weird to see a thread with thousands of views but only a few dozen posts. :(

edit: My one critique would be this: I noticed the lack of white on him... if you paint the ultramarines symbol on his left knee, white, then I think it would add a lot to the model and give it some contrast. B) Also paint the skull on his chest white and give the skull a wash. That will help too.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I always found this forum good for getting feedback as more post here than other places.

Jay79: Yes right now there needs some contrast. And hopefully that will come. There will be some white freehand on the blue armor as the last thing to be done. Also I think Im going to paint the thing on his(the name of the thing escapes me) white and red striped. So there is some white to be painted.

Again thanks for the comments B)

Archived