Kraken Brothers

Donkey Kong

"We are fear incarnate!"

Origins

A product of the ninth founding, the Kraken Brothers have since expanded their reach from the Maelstrom to the Ghoul Stars. The Marines have held the line against the abominations of Chaos and the Orks for untold centuries.

The Chapter was taught by a cadre of veterans from the Silver Skulls chapter. The most venerable of these marines was Denarious, who would later become the Chapter's first Chapter Master. In the years leading up to the Chapter's independence, Denarious and his cadre swiftly earned the respect of the Marines. However, the trust was not so much from some of the more upstanding Marines or a large portion of the citizens and nobility. In his quest to prove himself to Charybdis's population and his new Chapter, Denarious spent several odd years traveling across the world in various cities. Through the streets some would cheer, others would shout, but most would hide and lower their voices to whisper with their neighbors. In his travels Denarious encountered one of the more renown fortune tellers. She spoke to Denarious warmly and wove the tale of Magos Nero and his brilliant artwork. She told him of eleven bronze Astartes helms lost under the sea, Denarious was overwhelmed and immersed in the tale of the Magos and heartbroken at his work's disappearance.

Preparing himself, Denarious dove under the sea. Clad in power armor, he walked across the sea floor and through the ruins of old cities, determined to find the helms. In a terran year of diving and reemerging, Denarious gathered the eleven helms, each shaped like a kraken of old legend, and brought them to the Chapter. Cheers of unequaled enthusiasm in Denarious's time on Charybdis rang through the city. Satisfied, Denarious gifted a single helm to each Company Captain and crowned himself with the last. Denarious named the Chapter in honor of his find.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/parouleklin/Banner.jpg

Sergeant Banner

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/parouleklin/Logo-1.jpg

Chapter Symbol

Homeworld

Charybids was once a mountainous world with cities built upon plateaus, carved into the sides of the mountains and plateaus, and in the canyons they formed. Rivers streamed through the canyons and between the canyons millions of drills excavated precious ores and minerals. These valuable materials and the beautiful jewelry planetary artists and jewelers created with them were the world’s primary export, yet many aristocrats hoarded great deals of treasure, selling particular items of worth in difficult times to maintain their extravagant lifestyles. Despite not being a forge world, Charybdis was renown for it’s artists and inventors, attracting the attention of Magos Gregor Nero. who spent several decades on Charybdis. In his time on the world, Nero crafted many weapons and tools, many of which he left on the world in the hands of the artists who provided his housing. Among the Magos’ works were eleven astartes helms, none of which were ever used by actual Astartes before the Horus Heresy and they were lost during the Heresy.

At the time of the Horus Heresy, Charybdis was a fierce war zone between the planetary defense force and invading traitor mechanicus and Imperial army men. In desperation, the PDF melted Charybdis’ ice caps, submerging all but the world’s highest peaks. Countless traitors died under the rush of water. However, the cost was great, millions of innocent civilians were flooded out of their homes and drowned and all of the world’s treasures and excavation drills were submerged with them, lost.

Since these events, topographical shifts and volcanic formations have raised more islands from the sea, and treasure hunting has become a common hobby, though much of the easily accessible treasure has long been taken, it is not uncommon for men to go swimming and surface with a small handful of golden coins or other such valuables. Since the world’s flooding, many ships have been imported and have served as floating cities and PDF vehicles for centuries.

A formation that has been on Charybdis for unknown millennia are floating islands. The islands have undergone Mechanicus study and observation for centuries. Collected data has shown dark age technology at the root of the buildings along with various gases. holding the islands aloft. Their uses extend from cities to gun bases and PDF aircraft hangers.

The Kraken Brothers return to Charybdis every few decades for new recruits, pirates and sailors will often train their sons so that their skills may become worth of being selected. The men and women of Charybids are all united in their respect for the Chapter that calls their world home.

Charybdis has six moons, Scilla Prime, Scilla Secundus, Scilla Tricus, Scilla Quadcus, Scilla Pentcus, and Scilla Hexcus. Scilla Prime was crafted into the Chapter's Fortress Monastery. The five other moons were transformed into enormous gun bases. In their centuries of service, the moons have protected the world from hundreds of Ork Waaghs and several Chaos invasions.

Battlefield Doctrine

Proud the spread his heritage to the newly formed Kraken Brothers, Denarious instructed the marines to paint a white skull on their helms. These skulls became terror markings shortly afterward, achieving fear and respect from the Warbosses and orks of the Ghoul Stars. The Kraken Brothers regard the Codex Astartes with as much respect as the Ultramarines, and follow it likewise. Marines are skilled in all forms of combat and hold no restraint in the heat of battle.

The Chapter makes no mistake in regarding the effectiveness of fear. Terror markings extend from the skulls painted on marine's helms to twisting designs on the marines' power armor mocking tentacles and wide use of flamer weapons.

Veterans of the chapter are instructed in the art of using ancient suits of Tactical Dreadnought Armor, however not all are given immediate permission to access said suits. The Chapter possesses fifty suits of the relic armor, all have gone though many wearers in their centuries of service.

Chapter Organization

The Kraken Brothers follow the Codex Astartes in their organization. The Kraken Brothers have ten companies, the first company being the veteran company and the tenth company being the scout company. The first five companies are the active companies, with six tactical squads, two assault squads and two devastator squads. The first company is usually split and distributed among the other four active companies. Each company is led by a captain, the first company captain and tenth company captain and chapter master are the most skilled warriors in the chapter, leading the veterans, teaching the recruits and guiding the chapter. The helms found by Denarious in the early years of the Chapter are still passed down from captain to captain. Each helm carries the names of its users in engravings on the back.

The Chapter's tenth company is often inflated, occasionally bordering on two hundred scouts.

The Kraken Brothers have fifteen active Honor Guard. Like other Chapters, the Honor Guard are Space Marines who have received every possible award from the chapter and have centuries of experience. They are often sought out by Captains for advice in chaotic times.

Scout sergeants are some of the most respected warriors in the Chapter. Each has achieved greatness and all are eager to train the lifeblood of the Chapter.

Librarians

The Kraken Brothers follow the example of the Silver Skulls and consult their Librarians before combat. Librarians have the duty of keeping the chapter's records. Librarians will often transfer in and out of the archives on Scilla Prime, it is not uncommon for several Librarians to be there at once. Librarians wear blue armor, the single thing marking them as members of the chapter being their left shoulder pad.

Chaplains

The Chapter's religious leaders, Chaplains hold high respect from the Chapter. In line with the Codex Astartes, Chaplains wear black power armor and wear skull helmets. Chaplains are selected only from the Chapter's veterans, Marines who have proven themselves on a hundred fronts against all manner of foes.

Techmarines

Those brothers that show comprehension in the field of the Mechanicus are sent to Mars to learn to become Techmarines, responsible for the upkeep of the Chapter's armory. Marines of the Kraken Brothers respect their Techmarine's position, however the understanding and friendship shared between battle brothers are far from those between battle brothers and techmarines.

Of Strabo Barbarossa and his Second Company

Strabo Barbarossa was one of the most respected Captains in the Chapter. In his centuries of service, Strabo swiped the legs out from uncountable Waaghs and pushed the forces of Chaos into the Maelstrom. However, his dedication was all for naught. After disbanding an unusually large Waagh with much assistance from the Imperial Guard and fellow Space Marines, Barbarossa's Second Company was in desperate need of repair and new marines. Nearly a third of the Company had been incapacitated and many more were wounded.

Matters took a turn for the worse when a malfunction aboard the ship killed the navigator and opened the way for daemons and warp spawn to board the vessel. Hence, the ship had to be guided by the Company Librarian. Barbarossa and his marines fought against the onslaught of horrors daily, while constant repairs were made to the ship's defenses by the Company Techmarine. Over time, exposure to the warp began to mutate the marines. Where once marines had arms, their skin had melded to form tentacles, and others formed grotesque musculature. Many marines took to unceremoniously amputating these limbs and replacing them with surplus bionics. Not even Barbarossa was able to escape the mutations. His legs became brittle and his left arm formed into a claw. Barbarossa quickly replaced his distorted limbs with bionics.

However, some marines welcomed their new gifts. They retained their mutations and turned them on their enemies. For over a century the chapter functioned in this manner, until the vessel reemerged into real space before Scilla Prime. On Scilla Prime Captain Filo Howl's and his Fourth Company were on their rotation on the Fortress Monastery. Barbarossa's barge was boarded by Howl and a band of veterans, traveling to the bridge they encountered no hostility. Upon reaching the bridge, Howl came face to face with Barbarossa.

Howl, astonished to see his friend again, asks Barbarossa about where he has been, and Barbarossa tells his tale in turn. Ashamed, and dishonored by the occurrence, Barbarossa asks Howl for a second strike cruiser and permission to leave. Reluctantly, Howl agrees and lets his friend go free, much to the later distaste of the other Captains.

On self exile, Barbarossa sails off into the Ghoul Stars to die a warrior's death.

Later, the Second would be reformed under Commondaunt Astos Narrick. Astos is insulted by the title Commondaunt, and as a way to erase his personal dishonor, chases after Barbarossa into the Ghoul Stars.

Chapter Cult and Belief System

The Kraken Brothers frown upon the mutant, the traitor, and the xeno, and they execute them all with extreme prejudice. Through untold centuries of fighting Orks, the Kraken Brothers have a great reputation of brutal efficiency outside of the Imperium.

Above all, the Kraken Brothers revere the Emperor and everything he has done for humanity.

Gene-Seed

The Chapter uses the Gene-seed of Gulliman, Marines possess all twenty, functioning implants.

With your chapter's logo and name, you definitely should have them fall to chaos and become a cult trying to awaken Cthulhu!

Wonder if anyone have created a Cthulhu-inspired daemon force.... *off to do some searching*

its the name alone really, thanks for the link. ive only heard of the goul stars when i think a codex mentioned a chapter that was "defending the imperium form the unspeakable horors that dwelled within the goul stars, Ever watchfull should they try to emerge again" or somthing. thanks king

whats a feral digga maybe thats the horors?

Names I'm working with

Chapter Master [NAME]

Fist Company Captain Lucil Tobulo

Second Company Captain Strabo Barbarossa

[+++ REFORMED +++] Second Company Commondaunt Astos Narrick

Third Company Captain Dega Icarus

Third Fourth Company Captain Filo Howl

Fifth Company Captain Pasquel Voy

Sixth Company Captain [NAME]

Seventh Company Captain [NAME]

Eighth Company Captain [NAME]

Ninth Company Captain [NAME]

Tenth Company Captain Calles

Alo

Astos*

Barbarossa*

Barthello

Belgran

Benbow

Bligh

Bouff

Boscawen

Calico

Calles*

Callum

Caesar

Condent

Dega*

Esther

Filo*

Ghis

Giott

Igus

Jiru

Hood

Howl*

Icarus*

Ishmael

Jol

Julian

Lucil*

Laffiti

Malden

Milo

Narrick*

Palom

Pasquel*

Rahl

Rais

Ramsey

Raphsodus

Sabin

Sato

Strabo*

Stratton

Tasi

Testu

Tobias

Tobulo*

Topapa

Trion

Vane

Vashon

Veboer

Voy*

*used names

As you can tell, they're all famous pirate and sailor names, or slight variations of famous pirate and sailor names. EDIT: Names have also been added from other sources, it's funny how the all seem to meld together though.

Captain Howl is Master of the Fleet, whoever wants to guess on the two puns I get from Captain Howl's position gets a cookie.

Anyone who wants to throw in a name, I'm all ears.

There's one thing I might play with, mostly because I like the idea and secondly because it seems really, really cool. I don't know much about the Soul Drinkers except that they're a second founding, Imperial Fist successor who have turned to chaos, been kicked out of the Imperium, have turned from Chaos and follow the Emperor and wish to destroy the Imperium because they believe that that would be best for humanity. So I know a bit.

The one thing I want to take a kick at though is the fact that some of the Soul Drinkers are Mutants. Now, I don't intend to have my chapter come out covered in spines, tentacles and latex to turn around and say "I'm going to breath warp fire on daemons because despite these odd growths the Emperor is my guiding light." However, the Space Wolves 13th Company have been in the warp for some time, and some of them are werewolves, actually I still don't understand what the hell Wulven are, but regardless, they're kicking about and they have mutants in their ranks.

Now, I intend to have one company lost in the warp for a unspecified amount of time, in all likelihood Captain Barbarossa and his second company, have them reappear, still loyal and teeth bared, however, with marines having tentacles and such, to continue in service to the Imperium and fight his foes. Such a force would be interesting in my mind, and I'd like to see something like him mingling with his battle brothers. A bit ironic that he'd be the mutant and master of the watch, but that can all change. So, does this sound like a good idea, bad idea, or just a little silly?

EDIT: As actual first names for Barbarosa, I'm thinking Hector (PotC reference).

Also, for Howl, I was considering naming him Hatter or Pazu. Input is welcome.

Guest Mordray

The mark of the Wulfen is essentially the curse all Space Wolves fear. In the heat of battle they become more powerful and dangerous... werewolves essentially. It's simply a part of the Space Wolves gene-seed. the 13th great company was supposedly composed entirely, or at least mostly, of these cursed brothers and used during the great crusade to considerable effect.

Something about the curse of the wulfen makes them resistant/immune to the warping effects of the... warp. Either that or they have figured out how to combat/treat/prevent it...

Regarding Barbarossa's fall from grace, there was a small black out of the Astronomican, so around this time, Barbarossa with company depart from reestablished world [NAME] with a large portion of the company still intact. Contact is lost with Barbarossa and the Chapter sees this as a great loss, especially to battle brothers who shared close ties to Barbarossa and members of him company, including Captain Howl.

For half a century in the warp, the chapter fought nonstop against daemons and shipboard problems, constantly being repaired by servitors. As days passed, Marines died and mutations arose. Battle brothers' arms formed into tentacles and claws, others gave way to deformed faces and extended necks. Many brothers unceremoniously amputated their grotesque limbs and replaced them with crude augmatics, while others took advantage of their new gifts, using them to combat the warp entities that boarded the craft. Barbarossa himself replaced both of his legs and left arm with augmatics. With the navigator long dead, the craft was guided by librarians [NAME] present with the company navigated them to safety. The Second Company suffered hideous casualties in the warp, however, still had the strength to function as a Battle Company.

Upon arrival into real space, the ship finds itself before Scilla Prime. The ship is immediately recognized and hailed by an excited Captain Howl. Howl personally boards the vessel along with the veterans of his company. Hostile encounters are nonexistent, yet signs of battle mark the walls and floors alongside the bodies of deformed astartes. Upon reaching the bridge, Howl comes face to face with Barbarossa. The brothers eye one another with the wariness of strangers. The masks they wear are clearly the ceremonious markings of the chapter, Howl's is clean and polished while Barbarossa's is scarred and damaged.

Howl speaks first, a tone of great uncertainty in his voice. "Barbarossa?" He asks, the helmet nods and answers in an echo of a voice, "Yes, Howl." Uncertainty streams from both Astartes, and Howl removes his mask. Barbarossa, pausing, does the same with his one good hand.

A conversation is shared and Barbarossa reveals the fate of himself and his company, their grotesque mutations, their self pity and self exile. Howl allows Barbarossa to leave. Barbarossa and company sail off into the Ghoul Stars.

The Second Company was reformed, however, with the lack of a ceremonious helmet which Barbarossa took with him into the Ghoul Stars, no new Captain has been made, the senior position in the chapter is the [TITLE] (possibly Senior Sergent or Commodore) who holds the same rights, power and responsibility as the Second Company Captain. The Second Company is on the constant hunt for the Helmet, often far into the Ghoul Stars, searching worlds for the remains of Barbarossa or his Company.

Regarding the Kraken helms, I'm thinking of something like Lokhir Fellheart's helm. Also, should I ever make a Captain Barbarossa miniature, I'd like to use Huron Blackheart's backpack. I won't lie, I'm a sucker for the giant Iron Halo. Regarding part of my own fluff, how would you stick a terror marking on the Kraken helm? Would you just paint a skull on it like on a standard helmet?

Opinions, ideas, commentary?

I might make a couple of posts as I have limited time but I'll see what jumps out at me for now.

First off I have read through the opening post and I have to say I like these guys. You don't often see chapters from water-worlds as they usually stick very close to the same themes, though this one has gone a little sideways from the traditional. Which is good.

I am not however as much of a great fan of the rather overbearing (and forgive me if I have misplaced your inspiration) 'Pirates of the Carribean' influence. The focus on the Kraken above all, the name and potential Barbarossa special character are a bit too much. Now, the only reason they are too much is simply because they are too obvious by half. A good example is the name. You don't need to have the influence of your chapter slap people in the face from the word go and while indicative names are one of the traditional cornerstones of space marine chapters, my personal opinion is not to be so in-your-face with it.

The Kraken is a fine influence and the water world theme works well and I like it. A good way to make it a less overt theme would be to perhaps have the 'Kraken Brothers' be the first company, perhaps even having a right of passage into the first company being the hunting and killing of a Kraken as the Salamanders do with the, well, Salamanders of their homeworld or the Space Wolves and the Fenrisian wolves. Just an idea here. :(

Anyway, onto the actual piece.

The Chapter's first Chapter Master was Denarious of the Silver Skulls Chapter. Denarious and his cadre taught the new recruits the skills of his old Chapter, greatly earning the respect and loyalty of the Marines.

The only thing I find you haven't taken into account here is the Silver Skulls method of war, in that they only move when they deem the Emperor has blessed them or instructed them to do so. While I'm not sure if they seek the Emperors guidance in everything they do but wouldn't they seek to teach anyone under their guidance the same? A teacher generally imparts the wisdom that he sees as important and the Silver Skulls see nothing more important than following the Emperors will as it were.

Though it's not set in stone I was just wondering about it.

Taking it upon himself to bind them unquestioningly to the chapter regardless of his origins, Denarious traveled to the surface of Charybdis, the chapter's homeworld, and ventured under the sea.

Ok, I get why he did this and it makes sense. However on reflection it seems like a strange thing to do. "Oh they don't trust me. I'll go on a deepsea dive then." I know it's a water world and the people that live on it would have a connection to the sea unlike any other but the fact is Denarious is an outsider as you mentioned, would it not be a much smaller logical process to lead them on a campaign and crush their enemy completely, thereby both testing the new chapter and giving them their first victory? It would achieve the same thing, he can go on his underwater adventure at any time.

That said, all it really needs is a little explanation as to how and why Denarious himself came to that decision. Perhaps he was talking with the natives lore-keepers or something, whatever works for you but just a little bit more information to me would be good here.

Charybdis is a water world, island chains litter the sea and floating islands the sky.

I get that there are a lot of islands but the last half of the sentence loses me as to what you mean. There are islands in the sky? Eh?

Thousands if not millions of treasures hide at Charybdis's sea floor. It is not uncommon for Marines or sailors to go diving for them.

Where did all these treasures come from? A world made up of approximately 94% water would have only one purpose; fishing. It would for all intents and purposes (to my mind) be classed as an Agri-world and be used to farm hideous amounts of fish (if considered for any use at all). Who left these treasures? Were there other settlers here before the now Imperial population? If the treasures were from the planets past where did the resources come on a water world to create them? If the people have that level of tech to extract such minerals from the sea why are they still stuck on the surface? Really I just want to know who dropped all this stuff, seems like a galactic littering ground at the moment due to a lack of origin of all of the 'treasure'.

Also the part before this in Origins of the Chapter Master randomly searching through all this loot to find a convenient amount of specially made Astartes helmets. It's not bad, I don't want to see it gone but it would be nice to even have a vague explanation, perhaps some speculation from the chapters historians or something.

Pskyers, some Chapters frown on them while others applaud them, the Kraken Brothers follow the example of the Silver Skulls and consult their Librarians before combat.

As of itself this is not unusual as the Libraians in a chapter can often have insights that the other brothers can not have. What the Silver Skulls do (to my knowledge) is consult their Librarians for guidance for the Emperors Guidance and will not move unless so told as I mentioned above, through which there is much more of a significant affect on the chapter and it's brothers.

As for the rest of it, it is very very standard. You have gotten into the habit of typing out information that is a given. You list their organisation exactly as a Codex chapter is organised. You could more easily just subsume the Organisation section, Librarians, Chaplains and Techmarines subsections into one paragraph because frankly, they don't do anything special or different enough in these areas to warrant more than a cursory mention as to their presence.

As to the special helms, why would not the Chaplains have their helms in the form as on the banners if they are part of the Chapter Cult, which I would wager involves a Kraken in some form or other. Also the Chapter Beliefs system is rather.... flat. As with the Organisation section really. Chapter Beliefs should really be delving into the psychology and beliefs of the chapter, what you have at the moment is a list of the things that all Astartes Chapters are required to hate with more or less predjudice given their respective differences.

All that said I like the water world aspect and it intrigues me and I would like to see these guys developed. I'll get into the Barbarossa bit when I have time, that I have for the moment run out of. :)

Good start but needs work, as we all do. ;)

Yeah, the name is a little ridiculious, isn't it. There is a bit of PotC in there, isn't there. What exactly does it mean to be "too obvious by half"?

May I ask what the themes of a water world chapter usually are?

I'll have to take all of those things into consideration with my piling notes. Regarding the floating islands, if you remember movies like Castle in the Sky, you'll remember the flying castle and how it's just floating there. Its one of the few things that I've always been a sucker for in those films, those and steampunk.

So, Barbarossa and his Second Company, I've decided that I do want them to be lost in the warp, mutated, and to sail off into the Ghoul Stars with one of the Chapter's most sacred relics. So, by default, the new Second Company is chasing after them under the leadership of [TITLE] [NAME]. Of the titles I'm thinking, Commodore is at the top of the list.

To be lost in the Warp for a good century, constantly sending off daemons and other nasties that want to eat your soul and burn you in eternal hellfire, I'm sure that the Second Company suffered quite a bit. I'm also unsure of the armor the Second Company would have had as well as the support. What is a company usually sent out with?

As far as mutations go, I think that crab claws, claws, and tentacles are quite suitable, however I don't really know what else to throw in there, or if to throw in any more.

Now, being in Ork territory, and using fear tactics, the Second Company is sure to think of new bloody ways to scare Orks. We know that Orks are the big guys running around looking for a good krumpin, but when its the beakies krumpin the Orks time after time, I'm sure that some tales of fright get spread around. Now, for starters, I think it would be interesting to see marines waltzing around with shootas and big shootas, however heretical. This is because, Orks scrap together their own weapons, and Marines will eventually run low on bolter rounds. This includes sluggas, rokkit launchers, burnas, kombi-scorchas, stikk bombs, deffguns, mega blastas, choppas, big choppas, and power klaws. Now, these are just the odd replacements with sergeants and the occasional marine. Most marines will still carry bolters (both loyal and choas for not other reason than I think the chaos bolters look cool), special weapons (chaos plasma guns because I think they look better; regular meltas; burnas replace flamers.), and heavy weapons (heavy bolters, multi-meltas, plasma cannons, rokkit launchers replace missile launchers, and lascannons). All bolters/ shootas will have bayonets, chaos marine and scout knives. Something that would interest me would be sergeants having Ork glyphs on their banners. This is debatable on how odd it would look. I also thought that something interesting to see would be a marine with an Ork gob, but I haven't seen one on the net, so I don't know how this would look, awesome or just silly.

I'd like them to have ork head and skull trophies, once again to frighten Orks. Also, I think that some of the marines using the Ork skull glyph or Evil Sunz symbol as their terror marking instead of the regular skull would make for an interesting variation. Checkers and spikes would be cool designs to paint on the armor, too. Dark Elf Corsair hand weapons would be the power swords of the marine sergeants who don't decide to pick up filthy Ork weapons.

Another thing to add would be servitors' vital role in the company. Heavy weapon servitors could fill spots in devastator squads and carry heavy weapons in tactical squads. Or they could just be extra wounds in those squads and be armed with bolters. This also means that a techmarine would be thrown in, but for all my love of the Machine God this is actually a very pleasant thing.

So, looting, pirate, orkish, scary marines. Despite the little chuckle I get from seeing what this really is, I think it's original and a rather good idea.

Opinions please?

EDIT: Modified the logo:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/parouleklin/Logo-1.jpg

Basically the same, except now on the dark blue background of the chapter.

My near complete version of Barbarossa and Second's fluff:

Barbarossa and company were in transit to Scilla Prime after the [NAME] Campaign against the vile Orks. The Waagh was silenced before it could truly begin and the Orks reverted back to their typical infighting. With nearly a tenth of the Company incapacitated, the Second was in no fit strength to fight. However, during a flicker of the Astronomican, the ship’s navigator was reduced to tears and screams before dying.

Lost and without a navigator, Librarian [NAME] took to guiding the vessel through the unruly warp. Unexpectedly, daemons and warp spawn boarded the barge. Fighting against endless hoards of abominations and filth, the Marines slowly began to mutate. Their limbs inflated with further increased muscle and their hands became deformed claws. Where some marines once had arms, their flesh melded and became grotesque tentacles.

Many marines took to unceremoniously cutting off their warped limbs and immediately replacing them with bionics. While these feats were sanctioned by Barbarossa, Apothecary [NAME] frowned on the ill practice, greatly because of how poor the marines’ work was in the initial amputation and the extensive work needed to replace the limb. In the end, not even Barbarossa escaped mutation, his legs grew limp and his left arm became monstrous. Barbarossa was quick to have his arm and legs amputated by the Apothecary, and replaced with bionics. However, not all marines took to destroying their new limbs. Many, Second’s Senior Sergeant [NAME] among them, took on these growths with great gusto. They turned their enhanced limbs and deformities on the daemons that attacked the cruiser.

For nearly a century, Barbarossa and his company endured in this fashion. When finally emerging in real space, few marines lacked a bionic or mutation.

Barbarossa and his company arrived before Scilla Prime. Captain Howl was present on Scilla, his Company taking their round of watching over Charybdis, the Chapter’s homeworld, and undergoing to process of recruiting and training new Marines for the Chapter alongside Captain Calles.

With the Ship so close to Scilla Prime, and in turn Charybdis, Howl took immediate action, boarding the vessel with his company’s veterans. Moving through the ship, Howl encountered no hostility. Upon arriving on the bridge, Howl eyed Barbarossa, who returned the gesture. Walking into the room, prepared to fight, Howl made observant glances. Librarian [NAME] stood behind Barbarossa, and beside him stood another warrior, his helmet was removed and his deformed face clearly visible. Serpent like, intimidating with wide set eyes, Howl returned his gaze to Barbarossa.

Howl removed his helm, reluctantly, Barbarossa did the same. Barbarossa took time to tell the tale of their transit to Howl. Again Howl scanned the room. Mutations and bionics were more apparent, especially on Barbarossa himself. They discuss matters.

Barbarossa, ashamed, asks Howl for another barge and munitions. Howl agrees, gifting Barbarossa’s Second with the Strike Cruiser [NAME]. Barbarossa and his company take it upon themselves to fight against the Orks in the ghoul stars unto death.

With Barbarossa absent, a new second company is formed from the squads of the reserve companies and led by a warrior of the first company. This new Company was not to be led by a commander, for Barbarossa still held the helm of Second Company and thus the reformed Second was led by a [TITLE]. Proud, yet insulted by the jest, and determined to erase the shame given by it, [TITLE] [NAME] led his company into the Ghoul Stars behind Barbarossa.

the only Howl I can think of has a moving castle.

also air pirates, you cannot go wrong with air pirates

as for barbarossa, you basically have a 13th company situation going.

there should be a lag time between when the 2nd company sets off after returning from the warp, and when people go looking for them, possibly they never go looking for them and just leave the 2nd co an empty slot. after 1000 years or so they decide to go looking for the lost helm to restart the 2nd company, But find out that Barbarossa is still active.

With nearly a tenth of the Company incapacitated, the Second was in no fit strength to fight.

one tenth of ahundred is...ten.

so nearly ten marines where dead, and suddenly the company was in no strenght to fight?

come to think of it... a tenth is almost never enough to make something be like "hey guys, weve lost alot of men, lets hold back"

1/10th of 10 would be a guy... 1/10th of 100,000 would be 10,000 but you got 90,000 more... youre in good shape.

However, during a flicker of the Astronomican, the ship’s navigator was reduced to tears and screams before dying.

i could be wrong, but i think the astronomican is simply a giant light in the warp emmiting from terra, that navigator's use to tell which way there going. i dont think if it where to flicker the navigator would up and die, also i dont think it flickering would be an option... closest thing to it would probably be nids between you and earth (because when there in the warp they create some sorta darkness?

read "Farseer" its a good book, not so much about eldar. it has a bit where the navigator is actualy taking a non chaos ship into the warp, and abunch of deamons attack the ship... theres a TON of shielding stuff on ships to prevent the warp from getting in.

Thank you, everyone who has replied.

there should be a lag time between when the 2nd company sets off after returning from the warp, and when people go looking for them, possibly they never go looking for them and just leave the 2nd co an empty slot. after 1000 years or so they decide to go looking for the lost helm to restart the 2nd company, But find out that Barbarossa is still active.

Well, Howl's Moving Castle was basically the pun. . . meh.

No, you cannot go wrong with sky pirates :) .

Barbarossa was basically supposed to be that, that and an excuse to give marines kombi-schorchas . . . If Space Wolves can wear chaos marine back packs, my marines can clap their hands to believe.

There is a century between the time of Barbarossa's disappearance and reappearance and then self exile. So, what would you suggest there?

With nearly a tenth of the Company incapacitated, the Second was in no fit strength to fight.

one tenth of ahundred is...ten.

so nearly ten marines where dead, and suddenly the company was in no strenght to fight?

come to think of it... a tenth is almost never enough to make something be like "hey guys, weve lost alot of men, lets hold back"

1/10th of 10 would be a guy... 1/10th of 100,000 would be 10,000 but you got 90,000 more... youre in good shape.

I agree and that has since been changed to a third. Any less and I don't think they'd survive the century in the warp.

However, during a flicker of the Astronomican, the ship’s navigator was reduced to tears and screams before dying.

i could be wrong, but i think the astronomican is simply a giant light in the warp emmiting from terra, that navigator's use to tell which way there going. i dont think if it where to flicker the navigator would up and die, also i dont think it flickering would be an option... closest thing to it would probably be nids between you and earth (because when there in the warp they create some sorta darkness?

read "Farseer" its a good book, not so much about eldar. it has a bit where the navigator is actualy taking a non chaos ship into the warp, and abunch of deamons attack the ship... theres a TON of shielding stuff on ships to prevent the warp from getting in.

I'm pretty sure the flicker in the astronmican was an actual event, just I have no idea when, so just to simplify it for me, I edited it to make it something screwy happening with the technology. The navigator's still going to be dead and the Librarian will still guide them out.

I'll look into "Farseer" thanks. Sounds interesting.

Names I'm working with

Second Company Captain Barbarossa

Are you actually going to give a barba rossa to this one? :(

The idea of a pirate planet is great.

Also the choice of your symbol.

:yes: This is sad, I really don't get the barba rossa pun. Also, thank you.

Thank you, everyone who has replied.

Well, Howl's Moving Castle was basically the pun. . . meh.

No, you cannot go wrong with sky pirates <_< .

Barbarossa was basically supposed to be that, that and an excuse to give marines kombi-schorchas . . . If Space Wolves can wear chaos marine back packs, my marines can clap their hands to believe.

There is a century between the time of Barbarossa's disappearance and reappearance and then self exile. So, what would you suggest there?

not between his disapperance and his return from the chapter, but 1000 years after his self exile.

oh and the blink in the astronomicon did happen but pretty recently. so that does not really work

I would make the 2nd into something like the 13th great company or the legion of the damned.

the chapter knows barbarossa still exists and is fighting but is not an "official" part of the chapter, so the chapter strkes the colors of the second, but barbarossa and his boys still show up occasionally

Where did all these treasures come from? A world made up of approximately 94% water would have only one purpose; fishing. It would for all intents and purposes (to my mind) be classed as an Agri-world and be used to farm hideous amounts of fish (if considered for any use at all). Who left these treasures? Were there other settlers here before the now Imperial population? If the treasures were from the planets past where did the resources come on a water world to create them? If the people have that level of tech to extract such minerals from the sea why are they still stuck on the surface? Really I just want to know who dropped all this stuff, seems like a galactic littering ground at the moment due to a lack of origin of all of the 'treasure'

I can think of an explanation for both the islands and the treasures - the polar caps melted, accidentally or deliberately. This would leave the previous civilisations stranded on the bottom, and the islands would be the tops of mountain ranges jutting out of the sea.

Also the part before this in Origins of the Chapter Master randomly searching through all this loot to find a convenient amount of specially made Astartes helmets. It's not bad, I don't want to see it gone but it would be nice to even have a vague explanation, perhaps some speculation from the chapters historians or something.

If you want some of the relics to be Astartes helmets, why not say the original inhabitants deliberately flooded the planet as a gesture of defiance during its conquest in the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy, trapping loads of Marines on the bottom? The Legion in question would have recovered most of the Marines, with some no doubt still alive, but a few would still have been lost to the depths.

not between his disapperance and his return from the chapter, but 1000 years after his self exile.

oh and the blink in the astronomicon did happen but pretty recently. so that does not really work

I would make the 2nd into something like the 13th great company or the legion of the damned.

the chapter knows barbarossa still exists and is fighting but is not an "official" part of the chapter, so the chapter strkes the colors of the second, but barbarossa and his boys still show up occasionally

I agree with the blink and such is why it has been changed.

With the Second Company, why would the Chapter wait so long to reform it? It's not that I'm against your idea, so much as wonder why you think it should be so long.

Where did all these treasures come from? A world made up of approximately 94% water would have only one purpose; fishing. It would for all intents and purposes (to my mind) be classed as an Agri-world and be used to farm hideous amounts of fish (if considered for any use at all). Who left these treasures? Were there other settlers here before the now Imperial population? If the treasures were from the planets past where did the resources come on a water world to create them? If the people have that level of tech to extract such minerals from the sea why are they still stuck on the surface? Really I just want to know who dropped all this stuff, seems like a galactic littering ground at the moment due to a lack of origin of all of the 'treasure'

I can think of an explanation for both the islands and the treasures - the polar caps melted, accidentally or deliberately. This would leave the previous civilisations stranded on the bottom, and the islands would be the tops of mountain ranges jutting out of the sea.

If you want some of the relics to be Astartes helmets, why not say the original inhabitants deliberately flooded the planet as a gesture of defiance during its conquest in the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy, trapping loads of Marines on the bottom? The Legion in question would have recovered most of the Marines, with some no doubt still alive, but a few would still have been lost to the depths.

I've been racking my brain at those questions ever since GHY first asked them, and those ideas are brilliant.

:huh: This is sad, I really don't get the barba rossa pun. Also, thank you.

Barba rossa means 'red beard'.

:lol: Well, that answers that, thanks Mol. And to answer the question, no. Barbarossa, if I ever model him, will be wearing Lokhir Fellheart's helmet, along with the other Captains.

Thank you all for your help and looking at the thread.

I agree with the blink and such is why it has been changed.

With the Second Company, why would the Chapter wait so long to reform it? It's not that I'm against your idea, so much as wonder why you think it should be so long.

basically you have two options here, if barbarossa is still active, but tainted

the chapter either recognizise barbarossa as the ligitiamte captian of the second and they are still "part" of the chapter.

or

he and by extension his company ie exiled, which would mean they are struck from the ranks of the chapter.

this leads us to the same place odddly enough. If he is still part oif the chapter they would not reform the 2nd. If he is exiled this is a big hit to the chapters honor.

in a simalar situation, the space wolves leave the rune stone of the 13th company blank, weather this is in honor or shame is a open point. but it seems like an analogous situation to the one that your chapter findes itself in.

In the same way the LOD seems like a decent analog to the 2nd, they are part of no chapter, but occasionally they show up to help. this is kind of the way I see your 2nd company opperating. they show up to help your chapter, but they are no longer really part of the chapter.

the only way I could see them reforming the 2nd is if the chapter thinks barbarossa is dead, and really alot of time is the only way that can happen. that said if you want to use the blink in the astronomicon, well that happen fairly recently and the would just not be enough time for the psycological scars and dishoner to fade, not to mention to raise 100 space marines.

Archived