Hurricane Bolters

jeffersonian000

I feel like an idiot, but I've been under the impression that Huricane Bolters were 3 twin-linked Heavy Bolters, not 3 twin-linked normal boltguns. As such, they just went from being "pretty cool" to "that sucks!"

With that being said, am I correct to assume that they can be rapid fired at 12"?

SJ

If they were heavy bolters then you'd only be able to fire two weapons.

As they are strength four then you can fire two weapons (assault cannons and multi-melta) plus all defensive weapons (both hurricane bolters and a storm bolter).

At 12" you're firing:

2x storm bolter shots

12x t/l bolter shots

4x t/l assault cannon shots

1x multimelta

and one of those (probably the multi-melta) can be fired at a different target.

That's pretty sweet.

If you want the heavy bolters then look at the Forge World LR Prometheus. 2x t/l heavy bolters in each sponson.

and one of those (probably the multi-melta) can be fired at a different target.

That depends on what PotMS you're using :D. Some of us aren't that well blessed.

Cheers

I

Cool. I'm playing Daemonhunters, so, if I read the 5e FAQ correctly, I should be able to move up to 6" and fire everything, or move up to 12" and fire he Hurricanes + one other weapon, all at BS4.

Which brings me to another question: are both sponsons counted as a single weapon or two separate weapons? I.e., can I choose to fire one sponson at one target and then machine spirit the other sponson at a second target? Not that I think that's a good tactic, just more of a thought exercise.

Thanks, everyone!

SJ

thats funny. i was under the same impression about the hurricane bolters.my friends sure where happy when i broke the bad news to them that my Crusader had been nuetered. I even bought an extra set and converted up a set for my Dread. wasted effort, now im still tring to decide on how ill make a seismic hammer up.

there still not so terrible to use. i like them over the flamestorms still.

Yeah, I felt really crushed when my fantasy of 18 d6 with re-roll went up in smoke. Of course, now I understand why a Land Raider Prometheus costs so much for what I thought was less fire power. Oh well. I'm still going to use at least two Crusaders in my army as dedicated assault platforms; I'm a firm believer in Rate-of-Fire.

Which brings me to another thought: Psycannon Bolts. Do they effect Hurricane Bolters? The description only mentions Storm Bolters and Heavy Bolters, twin-linked or otherwise. As Storm Bolters are just combi-bolters, you would think psycannon bolts would work fine. Question is, do they?

SJ

Which brings me to another thought: Psycannon Bolts. Do they effect Hurricane Bolters? The description only mentions Storm Bolters and Heavy Bolters, twin-linked or otherwise. As Storm Bolters are just combi-bolters, you would think psycannon bolts would work fine. Question is, do they?

Storm bolters aren't combi-bolters.

If psycannon bolts only effect storm bolters and heavy bolters, then no, hurricane bolters wouldn't benefit from them.

Actually, Storm Bolter is the common name for the Combi-Bolter, which is two boltguns mated to fire together. This is from the 1st edition of the game, which is when I started playing 40k. I also played 2nd ed, but not 3rd or 4th edition (I took a 10 year break from the game). I'm getting back into 40k with 5th edition, hence my questions on Hurricane Bolters which did not exist back when I stopped playing.

As to Psycannon Bolts not working with Hurricane Bolters? I can live with that, just wanted a clarification.

Thanks everyone!

SJ

supporting evidence is that storm bolters may not fire special issue bolter ammo allowed to Sternguard Vets. "Storm bolter is/is not a boltgun" has been discussed ad nausium in threads related to that topic.

That may be true for Sternguard, however, it’s not true for the Inquisition: pg18, Daemonhunter Codex, under Psycannon Bolts, it states that "a bolt weapon (storm bolter, bolter, combi-bolter, or bolt pistol) with this upgrade ..."

Not that I think I just added to the argument, but ... blanket statements tend to leave out exceptions.

From a fluff stand point, bolt pistols use a smaller caliber than boltguns, stormbolters were once known as combi-bolters and were intended to be different from a twin-linked bolter, and yes, caliber of ammo varies between bolters just like it does today between modern firearms. All that, of course, has been lost in the last three editions of the game, from Rogue Trader to today’s 5th Ed.

Personally, I love reading in the current fluff how no one remembers how dreadnoughts were once made, and then looking up the step by step process of manufacturing a dreadnought in the old Warhammer 40k Compendium (the red book). Tickles me. :HQ:

SJ

That may be true for Sternguard, however, it’s not true for the Inquisition: pg18, Daemonhunter Codex, under Psycannon Bolts, it states that "a bolt weapon (storm bolter, bolter, combi-bolter, or bolt pistol) with this upgrade ..."

Maybe the Psycannon Bolts are special and come with a sabot for larger bored weapons. Not that it really matters with regards to any of the other chapters.

I prefer the think that it’s more of an issue of access to special ammo than an issue of ammo size. Frankly, any round can be cast to any size, yet only former members of Deathwatch have access to Hellfire rounds while the Inquisition maintains restrict regulation on psy-specific ammo. Of course, that's fluff.

From a rules stand point, it doesn't make much sense but we are left with following the rules as written and determining what can and cannot be done with those rules. If, some unknown reason, psycannon bolts are available to personnel at any caliber yet only to vehicles in two specific calibers, then we have to live with it.

Sucks. But we have to live with it.

SJ

Psycanon rounds are available to ANY "bolt weapon" other than the Heavy Bolter (not included in the list in the armoury on C:DH P.18) I was wrong previously about that BUT the option is in the armoury, NOT the vehicle upgrades so would not be allowed in the hurricane bolters of the LRC.

There is a mention of a Psycannon Bolts upgrade for Grey Knight Vehicles only, but I can't remember if it is limited to the heavy bolters you would find on the Land Raider and Dreadnought, or if it applies to any form of bolt weapon.

The vehicle upgrade is limited to stormbolters and heavy bolters, while the wargear is limited the pistols, boltguns, combi-weapons, and stormbolters.

The question I posted had to do with whether or not hurricane bolters qualify for the vehicle upgrade, which the majority of responders agree they do not.

SJ

Archived