Dealing with necrons

TheGreat213

Ok about a week ago in my first above 1000 point game (2000) I was in a three way battle table quarters

I went in bottom left playing space marines, the necrons went in the above left corner, and chaos space marines went in bottom right. In other words I'm in the middle. In the first turn I moved my vindicator up and wounded 8 necrons. All but two came back with the "we'll be back rule". (demolisher cannon would've caused instant death but a necron lord was within 6 inches of half of his necron warriors. The game progressed something like that for a while if me inflicting lots of wounds on the necrons and at least %80 of them coming back. If necrons didn't have the we'll be back rule I would have done just as much damage as he did to me. The gauss flux projectors on his monolith were doing a lot of damage too. He ended up losing none of his units and i lost almost all of mine. W/ about 400 points worth of units left. What tactics do you guys use against Necrons playing Space Marines?

First of all, that's really good rolling on his part to get 80% on WBB.

Secondly, the Necron army is in general very slow, and with short range weapons. That gauss flux arc projector has a grand total range of 12", and doen't do too much damage by its lonesome. If you can get close, Necrons in combat are essentially slower, more expensive marines. Large units equipped with power weapons are great at shredding Necrons, for example Assault Terminators. In 5th edition, Necrons also have trouble with vehicles of any reasonable armor value, so basically any heavy support choice is a good idea. Finally, aim for the phase out. Don't shoot monoliths, or pariahs if you can help it, because they don't count towards phase out.

In summary, speed and assault are going to be your game winners here, and attempt to take out the Necron Lord to reduce WBB.

assault marines are your friend

Lighning claws in general are your friend

SS/TH termies/Lysander and Vindis are not a monos friend

Pretty much what's already been a said. Just watch out for those irritating destroyers, anti-assault NL's in squads and tar-pit scarabs (Yes I've seen it done to great effect, tied up a full squad of wraithguard and a wraithlord for three turns while the mono, warriors, and lord brutalized Eldrad, rangers, and warp spiders.

For me, it's all about target priority and cc. I usually try to take out Destroyers (both regular and heavy) first, as they are mobile and dangerous. After that, I concentrate on regular Necron Warriors or any unit that counts towards phase out. Vindicators and plasma cannons are your friends here. BTW, don't waste your time shooting at the Monolith. Ignore it and concentrate on other targets. By splitting your fire (Monolith/phase out units), you are allowing units that count towards phase out to live longer.

For cc, power weapons all the way. I use them to take advantage of the low initiative.

Remember, the more WBB rolls they must take, the more chances to fail them (unless they have a pact with the dice gods ;) ).

Let us know how you do against them in the future...

~fearlessgod~

Also, rhino rush... three rhinos each loaded with a 10 man squad with a powerfist can get right in the middle of the crons, assault 3 seperate warrior units, and sweeping advace each of them.

The c'tan now greatly fear sternguard 2+ to wound rounds--one round of shooting from 10 sternguard in rapid fire range should kill a c'tan.

Guest TheRevenant

When you sweeping advance necrons, they don't get to make a WBB roll, as they are removed from the table. Assault marines are good for this. However, extremely good assault units (termies and tooled up vanguard) will probably completely wipe the unit before they get a chance to sweeping advance. As such, they'll get the WBB from them. You want to beat them in combat by a good bit (3 or more), but you don't want to completely massacre them. Assault marines are probably you're best bet to do this.

Sternguard beat C'Tan. It's almost guaranteed that a full squad will kill one in a single round of rapid-firing.

Vindicators and libbies with vortex are very good at taking down 'liths.

The vindie get's 2d6 pick highest pen (almost guaranteeing a pen).

The libby gets +1 on the damage table (really goes a long ways to get the destroyed result).

When rolling for the WBB do you have to check for each necron model individually (?) to see if the are within 6" of a unit of the same model or if one model of an entire downed unit is wihtin 6" does the entire downed unit get to roll for WBB?

Hope that you understand what I mean.

Each necron has D6 rolled for it at the beginning of the necron player's turn. If it's 4+ the Necron simply gets back up. Making shooting them to death nigh impossible. Assault is your friend, shoot I once put an assault squad in a godwyn with jump captain w/ a relic blade and they were the most effective squad the whole game. And the land raider destroyed a the mono :( make liberal use of sternguard, assault marines, land speeders (Destroyers) LC termies and plasma guns. General a chaplain won't be needed for the assault squads as was stated above, you want to win combat, not wipe them out before sweeping.

• 2 weeks later...
When rolling for the WBB do you have to check for each necron model individually (?) to see if the are within 6" of a unit of the same model or if one model of an entire downed unit is wihtin 6" does the entire downed unit get to roll for WBB?

I think so long as one model in the unit is within 6" of the res orb, the whole unit benefits from it.

I think so long as one model in the unit is within 6" of the res orb, the whole unit benefits from it.

as a necron player I can confirm that and as others have said: ignore monolith and target things like destroyers and heavy destroyers and anything with low model count since the one thing res orb doesn't negate is the it needs the same unit type nearby to get back up. so wraiths, destroyers and heavy destroyers first then pick on 10 man squads of necron warriors to chip away at the necrons phase out. However there is the thing that any necron player who knows what he's doing will always hide a squad of warriors away with enough to prevent phase out (like hiding a 20 man warrior squad) and then throw everything else at you. key point is to aim at the squad with the lord in it (and if he's on his own somehow, target him) and destroy him, without that orb anything str 8 and better is a necrons fear. Also don't underestimate the flux arc, getting too close with result in shots that will chip away at you and most likely will do damage (it's the highest rate of fire gun there is outside of Apoc and forgeworld)

The "hiding the phase out number away" tactic is... well... uncharacterful (is that the right word for it)? But Marines are one of the best armies that can cope with that tactic--since so much of the army can be a mobile strike force.

Cheers.

Archived