Slaaneshii marines

tortoise

I recently finished off a few more EC conversions. For those who missed the first ones the white marines are noise marines, the pink marines are chaos marines who carry the icon of Slaanesh.

They're part of an almost finished (small) army.

On with the show.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/tortoise222000/marines.jpg

The champion of one of the icon bearing units.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/tortoise222000/champion-1.jpg

Its been taking so long to get the army finished since the conversion process is slow and exhausting. I'm also ashamed to admit I got distracted by the recent ork releases too.

Hope you enjoy. Comments and crit much appreciated. If you like them of got a couple of WIP's in that forum I could probably use your suggestions for.

B) um...WOW!! They have to be some, if not THE best Slaanesh I have ever seen (for 40k)!! Truly amazing, I cannot wait to see more of these guys!!

BTW I am now incredibly jelous and feel inferior...

Looking awesome!

where did you get the heads from? did you convert them or get them from somewhere else?

I hope Tortoise doesn't mind me trying to answer for him [Feel free to tell me to shut up/behead me if you do mind]...

IIRC, the heads are converted from greenstuff and CSM heads. I think I saw them at the pre-painting stage in a WIP thread.

IIRC, the heads are converted from greenstuff and CSM heads. I think I saw them at the pre-painting stage in a WIP thread.
The WIP pictures are around the internets, not too hard to find.

The amazing thing with the conversions is that they are simple, but excellently executed. That's the pinicle of conversion technique; the conversions aren't distracting in a negative or positive way, but rather add to the model as a whole. It's the artist's restraint that demonstrates his real talent.

Thanks very much for the positive responses.

Liltom- you're almost right. In fact the heads are from Imperial marines rather than chaos marines as the horns on chaos marine models make them a paint to convert.

teh-perfesser- thats totally my outlook for both painting and converting- the work done by the artist should always be for the service of making a great model, not just a showcase for their abilities. I think if the models had bits on them where you could obviously say 'thats the converted part' then they wouldn't work, especially as these are models for an army and need to be reasonably uniform.

I love your gold. Can you explain how you do it?

I paint gold in a couple of ways depending on the object. The pink champion's bolt pistol for instance is painted gold and then washed with 2 coats of sepia wash before highlighting. However, red tones look a bit too much on the blue marines. Their gold is painted bronze and highlighted through gold up to almost silver before being washed in blue and purple washes. This is in addition to a brown or sepia wash.

Ferrus- I'll put up some shots of units soon. The army is a bit away from completion but once its done I'll stick some photos up.

Archived