Chaos Terminators

-Brutus-

Well, I'm a noob. I've just started this so I need some help how to equip my terminaors best.

I've got 5 of 'em and I was thinking about using the heavy flamer instead of the reaper autocannon. The armies I will most probably face are tau, black templar and/or IG.

So, is it best to equip them all with pws or powerfist or a mix of those? Is it worth taking a chainfist (it doesn't seem so to me)? Is it worth equipping one of them with lightning claws or is this stupid since the unit will get less shots!?

I've put together one and painted him already... :D

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/Brutus85_photo/DSC_0036resize.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/Brutus85_photo/DSC_0048resize-1.jpg

If you do a quick search, you'll find tons of similar topics out there, some of which are rather indepth.

Here is a good one.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...hl=heavy+flamer

or this

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...hl=heavy+flamer

To give a quick recap, most people find that the best thing about Terminators is that they are cheap and have access to Combi-Weapons. The Reaper AC is widely regarded as too expensive for what it does while the Heavy Flamer is cheap enough to throw in as a "what if" weapon. I'd do 1 Power/Chain Fist per 4-5 guys normally, thats enough to handle the odd Dreadnought or Carnifex while still keeping your unit cheap and fast.

The most often used Terminator squad is 3 Terminators, 3 Combi-Meltas for dropping in and killing a tank. Its basically a suicide squad, but very cheap and effective

I like 3 terminators, 2 combi-plasma and a heavy flamer. Don't bother with a power fist until at least 4 guys. 3 most likely shoot their target then die.

But deep strike in, toast something nasty, then hope the gods smile upon them.

I run these units. - By the way, if I'm paying 90 points minimum on a unit that has access to a powerfist or chainfist, I'm gonna give them one.

3 Terminators: Heavy Flamer and Chainfist, Two Combi-Meltas

5+ Terminators: Icon of Khorne, 1 Chainfist and Heavy Flamer, all Claws (typical land raider unit)

3 Terminators: Reaper Autocannon, Land Raider Transport (an elite's land raider~)

10 Terminators: Icon of Tzeentch, 2 Combi-Flamers, 1 Heavy Flamer, 3 Combi-Meltas, 4 Combi-Plasma, 2 or more chainfists (I change arms)

Thats what I run with. You can see the theme they're given. Do-it-all or just in case measures covered with a role. Deep strike suiciders that kill their cost the turn they touch down, or they transport in a raider or footslog in expecting to take hits.

Either way treat them like they are two marines each. They cost as must in game as two normal marines, so think of them as such.

Edit:

Wishing you had a powerfist when facing a dreadnought/monstrous creature in melee means you should have given them one.

Unlike most people i am building a Chaos Termie heavy force and i have invested in the large GW Chaos Termie box.

Basically i'll just pick the Termie units i find most appropriate for the foe i'm facing.

But i'd say go for a Tank Killer unit and a versatiler one.

First all that Chaos Termie look cool

For me I tend to use two unit of four Termies with Combi Plasma & found they alway work, who care if it one shot by that time they deep strike & took on a traget with there combi Plasma (say a tank, elite unit) & for most the game there stuck in Close Combat :)

As for your own Termies, really come down to how you plan on useing them in games, will they be mounted in a Land Raider, run behind say a Rhino or deep strike.

Just come down to there role in games & how they work with your over all army.

For me, my Termies tend to as said deep strike down by icon from my Rhino units. I arm them with Combi Plasma to take down elite unit, moster (Nidzilla) &/or Tanks. Then next turn they will ether counter attack what ever my Rhino unit are holding up in Combat or will go of on there own with a nice 12 power weapon attacks.

I just keep mine light with no mark, only the combi plasma upgread & keep them with Power Weapons & four model strong (but as said two unit) so I can use the pts else where in my army & to be honsty 4 Combi Plasma is enought per squad to deal with the target I aim for, as said will have my Rhinos unit near be (3 unit of ten models) with Obliterators slow come up/following my Rhinos.

IP

Ive got 2 5 man Squads of termintors, 1 squad has 4 Chainfists, 4 Combi-Meltas, 1 with Powerfist and Reaper Autocannon basically they go tank hunting mainly in close combat. The second squad has 2 with Combi-Flamers, 1 with Heavy Flamer, those 3 with Power Weapons and the last 2 with 2 pairs of Lightning Claws. The second squad tends to be attached to my Terminator Lord with Tzeentch Deamon wep and the first squad with a Sorcerer so I get Bolt of Change

woo thx for the advice people :P

I think you just saved me from making a big mistake. I never even thought about using combiweapons since they're one shot only. But it makes sense to me now to use them!

So I'll go with the heavy flamer, probably 2 melta combis, power weapons and a fist. Maybe a chainfist for the heavy flamer dude.

I plan to deepstrike them inte cc because I'll most likely face a tau army first and I don't want my enemy to pop my LR (which I don't have yet ^_^ ) with his railguns.

If your deepstriking near a heavy rapid fire army like TAU (meltas included) then I suggest a unit a bit larger then 3. More like 7+, so at least one or two survive the initial barrage. Unless you depstrike lots of stuff with fast raptors to try and catch their attention.

Seriously, the 3 man suicide unit is as its name implies, unless you REALLY use cover to save them. Then the smaller unit is ok.

More like 7+, so at least one or two survive the initial barrage.

okey . so you land smoke a unit/tank [that would probablly been smoked with 4 termis too] . then he shots back your left with two termis [ah he moves back in the assault phase] and now what . you move 6" and fire two combi bolters ? at the same time you taking 7+ termis , means you have less pts troops , dont have a second termi unit [2x4 termi can counter more units then 1x8] etc , etc. seems kind of a sucktastic tactic to me .

I usually go for a larger squad with an Icon of Tzeentch, mostly combi-plas, a few fists. It's not necessarily effective, I know (the jeske :eek ). But there's little like wiping out an entire squad by dropping in near an Icon and peppering them with a heavy flamer and 10 plasma shots.

I dig the flexibility of the combi plasma. It's strong enough to knock out a tank for the side or rear, and doubles as a pretty effective infantry killer. I prefer a unit of 6 to meat out my tidal wave of bolters and melee that hits on turn 2, using the icons on my rhino mounted infantry in a worst case scenario, just in case the enemy parks their tank's back armor on their deployment zone's board edge.

6 terminators-

6 combi-plasmaguns

2 chainfists

240pts- 10pts over the cost of a CSM squad with the usual fixin's

This will allow the unit to do more than die to a bunch of bolter shots, and contribute to the overall attack beyond their initial deep strike. But hey, who doesn't like free kill points?

As is evidenced by the great number of topics and posts about them, I think its safe to say there is a wide variety of ways to play Chaos Terminators effectively.

I think alot of it comes down to personal playstyle and your local meta-game but Terminators will have a place in 90% of Chaos lists I think.

Plus, the models are badass and thats just as important right? ^_^

As is evidenced by the great number of topics and posts about them, I think its safe to say there is a wide variety of ways to play Chaos Terminators effectively.

I think alot of it comes down to personal playstyle and your local meta-game but Terminators will have a place in 90% of Chaos lists I think.

Plus, the models are badass and thats just as important right? :)

completely off topic sorry but.....

what's with the slaanesh avatar minigun? new army? :lol:

Plus, the models are badass and thats just as important right? ^_^

completely off topic sorry but.....

what's with the slaanesh avatar minigun? new army? B)

Haha yep, Emperor's Children/Thousand Sons mix actually. I went with the EC simply because they're more rare it seems.

Okay so there are a couple of ways I've used terminators so far.

Cheap: 5 terminators, 150 points. They have a decent close-range barrage, and they have power weapons and good armor. They deliver the goods.

Fighty: 5 termies, champ with Pair of Lightning claws, heavy flamer, mark of slaanesh, powerfist. With I5, you go first before most people and the champ w/ PoLC can really catch people off guard. This squad is also nice because if you are assaulted you still go first with power weapons.

Smashy: 5 termies, Mark of Khorne, Pair of Lightning Claws, 2 powerfists, 1 chainfist... lots of attacks, really make some bad times for your enemies.

Suicide: 3 termies, 3 combi-meltas. With good placement, on average they kill a land raider under 6" away. Time and time again they deliver.

I think if you take just 1 fist, make it a chainfist. You are much scarier to vehicles and drednaughts. If you don't have a powerfist or chainfist, they can throw a drednaught at you, and you can't even scratch it.

Really, as long as you make them all unique models (except suicide squad), they survive well and fight well.

I honestly have a hard time building a Terminator squad that doesn't have the Heavy Flamer.

5 points for a nasty template! I ask myself "Why wouldn't I take it?"

Oh your right. My "cheap" squad of "normal guys" should have a heavy flamer. Don't leave home w/o it!

BTW, to the "new guy" who posted here, in case you didn't know, flamers are excellent at causing WOUNDS since they usually hit 4-5 on average.. heavy flamers being str 5, wounding most things on a 3+ or even 2+, are WAY more effective than bolter fire and can get rid of that silly cover save people seem to love.

As someone else mentioned, it's really hard to go wrong with terminators, I can't really think of a bad way to use them, as long as they don't deepstrike horribly and get shot to pieces.

I find often a terminator squad with one reaper autocannon forces opponents to react to the large unit of termies bearing down on them, soon enough i plan on expanding my six man squad to a ten man just to include both a reaper autocannon and a heavy flamer. As a side note, never underestimate a champ with lightning claws, who cares that he dosnt have a t-l bolter he has got freakin re rolls to wounds with no armour saves

I find often a terminator squad with one reaper autocannon forces opponents to react to the large unit of termies bearing down on them, soon enough i plan on expanding my six man squad to a ten man just to include both a reaper autocannon and a heavy flamer.

Reaper Autocannons aren't worth it in my opinion - 25 points for a 2 shot Str7 AP4 weapon?

Raaahh...

I do 5 slaanesh termi squads, all of 'em with LCs...

Just only for the other guys faces when they get outta the LR...

Fire magnets you know, but if they get close, kill kill kill...

i'm kinda orky with taktiks... Fun 'n' stompiness all the way!

Reaper Autocannons aren't worth it in my opinion - 25 points for a 2 shot Str7 AP4 weapon?

The best use for a Reaper I could ever think of was taking a 3 man Terminator squad with 1 Reaper. 115 point for a weakling version of a Dakka Predator that can assault things.

Its not horrible, but its not that great either. I'd use it if I had 3 heavy spots filled and already had enough close range Terminators.

Archived