Lysander and Shooty Terminators

Giga

Hi,

These days I'm thinking of a good way to use Lysander. Obviously, I want to take advantage of both his close combat qualities and his bolter drill.

My initial idea was to use Lysander with sternguard, but since Lysander wears terminator armor and thus cant embark most transports, the idea didn't really sit well with me.

So now I'm thinking of packing Lysander up with a unit of 5 shooty terminators with assault cannon, cyclone missile launcher and perhaps a chainfist thrown in. They'd drive around in a land raider, and - theoretically - should be able to destroy or otherwise cripple anything in a single turn. You know; disembark, shoot, assault. A total of 8 storm bolter shots, 4 assault cannon shots, 2 missiles, 12 power fist attacks, 3 power sword attacks and 4 fist of dorn swings + land raider shooting if needed. Costs a lot and lacks the always-good storm shields, but sounds more then capable of owning most things in a single turn.

What do you guys think? Is it worth a shot, or should I just stick to TH/SS termies? :D

it says

" for every 5 models in the squad, one terminator may choose from the following options:

heavy flamer

assault cannon

cyclone missile launcher

at their respective cost of course

I'd say use the Cyclone Missile Launcher to maximise the number of Storm Bolter dice you are getting.

But yes, workable. 230 points (more if you want CFists) for the squad, plus Lysander and a Land Raider, is a lot of points though.

Grey knights may be a good idea with thier storm bolters and strength 6 power weapons, making them very adept at shooting and assaulting. With the option to take a psyker as well there's the added bonus of being protected from magical attacks. They may be easier to kill since they have basic armour, but you should be able to take more bodies since they are cheaper than termies.

In my last tourny I ran a 10-man sternguard squad with Lysander in a drop pod.

Humble humble...how did you have a Lysander in Drop Pod? I thought that models in Terminatour armour can't embark on it..

In my last tourny I ran a 10-man sternguard squad with Lysander in a drop pod.

VERY effective.

Lysander wears terminator armor. He cannot embark drop pods.

Not true. TDA is not forbidden from entering Drop Pods - it's simply that DPs are not available for Terminator squads.

Independent Characters with TDA can join squads in a Drop Pod just fine.

If you use a 9-man squad you can fit in a librarian in that same drop pod for Gate of Infinity madness. Kinda pricey, but boy is that unit going to shoot a lot of stuff up.

The librarian probably wouldn't be of as much help to a shooty terminator squad though as you generally want to be in assault with those powerfists.

A typical finding in my lists these days are Lysander with 5 regular PF/SB termies with one of them having an AC. It's tried and true, since the early days of the game. Lysander just makes it more effective. I deep strike them.

Good example of this was a game I played a week ago against a mixed chaos daemons army. He got so lucky with his deep strikes and basically all but annihilated me. It was going into the bottom of the 4th and I rolled for my reserves to come in: Lysander and the termies. They proceeded to wipe 3 squads off the board in the next turn. The game was kill points and he HAD to kill my last two in order to win, so he HAD to charge Lysander and the termies. They proceeded to move across the board and by the bottom of 5, he had nothing left on the board. Game over.

for 430 points, it's one of the better "points sinks" in the game.

Archived