WIP sorcerer 2

tortoise

The sorcerer is coming along OK but I've hit a stumbling block- where to position the head.

The recessed position looks more powerful, but i'm not sure thats the image I should be going for with Slaanesh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/tortoise222000/recessed.jpg

The other option is the head slightly raised

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/tortoise222000/upright.jpg

Both positions will require a bit more work to get them to fit properly but hopefully the photos show the general idea. Which should i go for?

First off, beautiful GS skills. Very impressive. I would also vote for the head down pose.

After all, he is a sorcerer, he'll be looking down at everyone. :D

Hmm I would vote the first option,

BUT to be honest I would give him another head....

I love the body, and I love the head, BUT to me the head doesn´t really fell "sorceressy" - I think it´s the hoses at the mouth which obscure the otherwise very smooth and orcanic lines of your sculpt. It looks like it would fit better on a bigger more brutal champion or commander.

It looks great! I personally was wondering how you get the plastic to stay glued to the Pewter? If youget this reply please give me a few hints. oh and head down what is he shooting clay pigeons

Very beautiful sculpt my friend, but I must agree, the head does need some extra OOMPH to convey the sorceror look. Perhaps a Slaneeshified thousand sons ype of head dress? Or pink flames jutting out from his hands and armor crevaces? Maybe he has a familiar, or a couple of spellbooks? Overall so far, lovely job, can't wait to see more of your handywork!

I vote heads down, btw. MUCH more intimidating. Besides, what right minded sorceror would want to be at par with his minions? Looking down shows his complete disreguard for them, and that he has much more important business to attend to. Then again... putting his head up shows cockyness and self absorbedness that only a slaneesh follower would have :drool:

Either way works IMHO. I think that the powerful/careless look is more predominant with the downwards head, however...the straight head fits well with your already existing noise marines. To echo the previous poster, head up shows a sort of arrogance which I prefer. Head up all the way!

My 2cents,

Cheers!

Hmm I would vote the first option,

BUT to be honest I would give him another head....

I love the body, and I love the head, BUT to me the head doesn´t really fell "sorceressy" - I think it´s the hoses at the mouth which obscure the otherwise very smooth and orcanic lines of your sculpt. It looks like it would fit better on a bigger more brutal champion or commander.

I might be the second unless I read this wrong, then the first, I like the head up. Seems dreamy, like he does not even care war is all around him, very slaaneshy. The work is fantastic and I thought your painting was awesome. As for the middle piece, I think it works fine. Might not be as slender or oval as I would like, elongated face, but very well done. You have a gallery besides you COMN? I have it saved but would love to see anything else your up to. ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. There's just too many to reply to them all so I'll just add a few thoughts I've had since reading the feedback.

I think I'm going to go for head down. A few people posted that the head up look suited Slaanesh's kind of wistful arrogance and I guess that's a look some of my other marines have where most of the heads are tilted upwards slightly. I'd like to differentiate the sorcerer a little. I also think in retrospect the grill rather than the open mouth looks better downwards.

The head isn't quite finished yet though- the rather odd circle on top of his head has to be turned into a plume for one thing. I may add some other detials as well such as more reliefs or studs.

4strsdagr- I'm not sure what you mean by plastic- are you refering to the green stuff? I don't really have any difficulty getting it to stick to the metal. If this is a problem for you it may be that you're handling the model too much or that your model is still coated in release agents. Try soaking it in water with washing up liquid for 10 minutes (let it totally dry before you start work on it though). Getting very small pieces of putty to stick can be difficult- the only advice I can give here is the way i do it- get the green roughly into the right place then gently roll it ovee the metal surface untill its in position. You should also always ensure your sculpting tools are lubricated, other wise the putty will keep sticking to them insteas of the model. Finally, remember that one of the properties of greenstuff, as yet unexplained by modern science, is that it sticks really well to anything you don't want it to.

Incidentally, anyone after some sculpting tips can click the link in my sig- there's a tutorial in my EC log. Alternatively, if enough people are interested I can do some other tutorial stuff for here.

Hive Trygon- I have my photobucket gallery, but there isn't anything in it really that isn't on here or Warseer I'm afraid.

Archived