Codex: Grey Knights

jakehunter52

As ArmouredWing had posted before, there was artwork done by Theo depicting the assault on the last hive for the 1st War for Armageddon for an upcoming gamesday. This was subsequently posted on BoLS and generated a lot of interest, enough to get several people digging around for clues.

So, first we have Belissand on Warseer who goes and finds the authors page here. He notes of an interesting remark by Stayinwonderland that says:

"Nice work. Was gonna say, you should do artwork for GW. Seems like you already are!

My mate Phil is writing this book "

:o

Now, a little bit later on Warseer again, we have the curious Iverald who goes and finds out who this "Stayinwonderland" is over on his website...at the bottom: EDIT: Best not to display other's personal details, i.e phone numbers - Marshal Paul

Phil Kelly

But all of this is nothing compared to a man named Harry, a man respected for his accurate but tormenting clues, goes and in response to Belissand, the first post, says:

"They had to give him something to do now he has finished Space Wolves."

I am crying as I write this up because it has restored a hope that I think that a lot of us has lost, certainly I have become much more jaded than I was before. The day has finally come. :D

PS- For everyone who wants to see the original happenings, here it is.

Uh-oh. One person writing the codex, instead of a team. Hmm. Well, we know how the last one-man codex turned out, but other one-man codicies have been OK. Better start praying that we don't get subjected to fanboyism . . .

I don't think it is anything to worry about. Last book he did was Warriors of Chaos for Fantasy and I thought it was done really well. It is 128pgs, full of awesome fluff including in-depth stories, time lines, and random factoids. It has a great selection of units that are further customizable by the marks and is an elitist army so Phil will have a good feel on how to play to that strength. Really the only bad things I heard about it were that wards saves (invo saves for fantasy) are hard to come by and that it is too close combat oriented (less tactics needed since you focus on one thing). But those are relatively small things that mostly power gamers over emphasize and is widely regarded as a balanced book. And that is good, because we want to remain respectable, not something that is going to trump every time we are put down on the field. Frankly, I will hope that it retains a need to be tactically aware to unlock the full potential of your army...cause that is more fun when you work to win. So yeah, I am kinda glad Phil Kelly is doing our book.

Must....resist....urge....to become puritan!

Internal Mind War aside, I think that a one-man codex wouldn't be too bad, especially since it is an author who has already bloodied himself on the field of battle, so to speak. That said, there's still potential to mess it up, but optimism in the face of uncertainty is generally the healthier route.

Additionally, I feel this is a good place to say the aforementioned artwork has elicited a greater war-gasm from me than any other Imperial artwork to date. There's just something about Grey Knights that allows them to be inspiring and arousing at the same time - probably the reason I'll have to play them if we get a codex.

One thing you guys need to remember is its never "one man writing a book." By the time its all said and done there will have been dozens of people with input and review adding to it. Nothing is gonna ship based on one persons opinion with no oversight. So cast those fears aside. Sure there might be a few things that slip through the cracks but there always is...

Well I am in yr 12 atm and exams keep popping up (half yearly in a fortnight). So I was hoping for some Plastic Knights before a codex is released as an appitiser. That way we can all get full 10 man squads ready for a codex.

Wow! That's some impressive investigation work for sure, but more interesting is the possibility that Phil Kelly is writing the new GK codex? After all he's been the master of all that stands against the imperium.

If this is true then, until now, it has to be one of the best kept secrets that GW has managed to keep for a long time considering how big an announcement that this really is.

Here's hoping for all the GK players out there....not long now for you number 6!

Wow! That's some impressive investigation work for sure, but more interesting is the possibility that Phil Kelly is writing the new GK codex? After all he's been the master of all that stands against the imperium.

If this is true then, until now, it has to be one of the best kept secrets that GW has managed to keep for a long time considering how big an announcement that this really is.

Here's hoping for all the GK players out there....not long now for you number 6!

well they are masters of secret you know! how long do you think the baneblade or stompa have been in progress before they came out. at least a year, and even though some peolple expected it, it was never confirmed until about 1,5 month before release

Agreed. Which is why he would do a good job.

Yeah, Harry said that he was surprised that nothing had come out and a big guessing thread was started about it, because another guy, I forget his name but a good guy, also said that it wasn't Dark Eldar or Necrons that was going to be after Space Wolves...so I guess whenever that is. :tu:

I may be wrong on this, or just hopeful... In BBB we are listed as Forces of the Imperium... no longer Ordo Maleus...

Since I play both of the current playable branches I believe it may be that we will finally see a united Inquisition codex. With strong binds and commonalities between our two codices and not including us in BBB as separate entities leaves me wondering if the day of unity will come.

But anyways, great news, hope this will be the day we have been waiting for!

Cheers

All very interesting....

I'm still not convinced that we won't see at least Necrons and Dark Eldar before any new DH/GK rules/models. If the GKs were to be released before then, GW would essentially be saying that non-Imperial armies have very little to offer the 40K gamer. Since 5th edition, it will have been Marines, IG, Space Wolves ... and GKs? That just seems like suicide to me. Not to mention an even greater dilution of the vast 40K universe. I am already overly tired of fighting other Imperial armies, we really don't need more people playing them.

As much as I am drooling over the tidbits of news presented here ... I really would rather see the alien races get their due first. I want suitable opponents! GW needs to make a convincing case that non-Orks are worth playing.

All very interesting....

I'm still not convinced that we won't see at least Necrons and Dark Eldar before any new DH/GK rules/models. If the GKs were to be released before then, GW would essentially be saying that non-Imperial armies have very little to offer the 40K gamer. Since 5th edition, it will have been Marines, IG, Space Wolves ... and GKs? That just seems like suicide to me. Not to mention an even greater dilution of the vast 40K universe. I am already overly tired of fighting other Imperial armies, we really don't need more people playing them.

As much as I am drooling over the tidbits of news presented here ... I really would rather see the alien races get their due first. I want suitable opponents! GW needs to make a convincing case that non-Orks are worth playing.

Maybe it's a case of getting it ready for release when the time is right, after all, how long have DE been 'rumoured' for their imminent release. Flip side of the equation could be that GW have realised that there is the level of interest in the GK's that make them worthy of attention at this juncture. After all I've not been aware of DE players voicing their concerns in the same volume as =][= have in the not too distant past. Who knows, maybe it's a bit of both?

Maybe it's a case of getting it ready for release when the time is right, after all, how long have DE been 'rumoured' for their imminent release. Flip side of the equation could be that GW have realised that there is the level of interest in the GK's that make them worthy of attention at this juncture. After all I've not been aware of DE players voicing their concerns in the same volume as =][= have in the not too distant past. Who knows, maybe it's a bit of both?

Well, I read somewhere, or just dreamed of it (what is way more likely) that the demand for DE was really making GW think twice on invest in their line - at least for now. Maybe they will try a longer term plan, with campaigns, novels and such to re-ignite the DE interest?

As much as I am drooling over the tidbits of news presented here ... I really would rather see the alien races get their due first. I want suitable opponents!

Seconded. I would happily stand in line behind the armies that have been even more neglected than us, namely SW, DE and Necrons.

Sweet! B)

I don´t wanna see no 10 model boxes of DK, that would mean that our points would drop and we would become "ordinary SM", I wanna keep the elitism up :)

Although plastic models would be nice :)

Thanks for sharing the intel, makes me wanna play :)

Edit: There is also a new book out The Grey Knights Omnibus by Ben Counter, more signs? :)

Edit: There is also a new book out The Grey Knights Omnibus by Ben Counter, more signs? ;)

Don't think so, it was very predictable - every trilogy/collection get an Omnibus from BL these days ;)

PS: I bought the 3 books - too bad the Omnibus was announced just a day after I ordered the first two books online :P I need to save some time to read them :)

]Maybe it's a case of getting it ready for release when the time is right, after all, how long have DE been 'rumoured' for their imminent release. Flip side of the equation could be that GW have realised that there is the level of interest in the GK's that make them worthy of attention at this juncture. After all I've not been aware of DE players voicing their concerns in the same volume as =][= have in the not too distant past. Who knows, maybe it's a bit of both?

I had that thought as well, that it Just Takes Time to get things Right, and now is when the GK ball has finally started rolling. Gotta say, I am seriously stoked about that! Phil Kelly has a history of making very strong rules, too (witness Eldar and Orks for 40K, Chaos for Fantasy....), so I'm doubly stoked. Hopefully, more tidbits will keep trickling out. People have always loved the Inquisition armies ... it's the codexes themselves that have turned people away from the armies, if my unscientifically documented discussions are any indication.

Given the selection of DE, SW, and GKs ... it's honestly hard to say which of them is most "broken"! :D All are quite old and deserving of lavish attention from GW. Necrons aren't broken, but it's so obvious that Feel No Pain would be much better than the confusing We'll Be Back, and the codex is seriously lacking in character. I can't think of a more boring army. Add them and Sisters onto the pile, and you'd have my wishlist of the next 5 40K codexes I'd like to see pushed out the door.

I'm wondering what happened to the rumour that he was writing Dark Eldar...After hearing that bit of news i was seriously considering starting them as my third army once they came out...Jes Goodwin's models with Phil's rules would be something to behold...I played once using the current codex at a small local tournament ( long story, i came with my sisters and we needed one more person to play so i lend my girls to a friend who happened to be there and opted to try the store owners DE...] and i have to say i liked the feel of how they play...

*please don't burn me...

Well, I read somewhere, or just dreamed of it (what is way more likely) that the demand for DE was really making GW think twice on invest in their line - at least for now. Maybe they will try a longer term plan, with campaigns, novels and such to re-ignite the DE interest?

that is what i have heard to, DE sales are the worst of all races and so are given the least love, their codex is older than ours. their codex is only rumoured because of that fact.

i do think all the forgeworld releases have something to do with a new codex.

in my earlier post i said 2010 is when our dreams come true but it is also something i dread. i fear we are going to become grey marines without all the cool rules games developers thought of in 3e. i still after all these years love our models and don't think plastic knights will ever give that "quality" feel to it when you pick up your lovingly painted terminator. but only time will tell

It's not like they haven't done it before. They released the IG, DH and WH codexes all together, an Imperium sandwich ^_^ *note to self: copyright that* But remember, there is the rumored "Planet Strike" codex that will be coming after IG this summer, so it gives a brief reprieve to the Imperial love. And to be frank, I feel that there is a lot of non-Imperial armies out there: Orks are obviously dominating, Chaos Marines have a very good list (despite what people moan about), Tyrannids and Tau still remain strong and Eldar....are Eldar. I think that diversity has to do mainly with locale. The releases really just influence the power gamers and the whimsical and playing against either of them can be kinda of a wildcard. Established gamers aren't going to be influenced so much because their desire is going to be much more deeply rooted and purposeful, despite not having a new rule set...as we can see from our own community.

And I will try to feed the trickle but remember things are pretty far out there, looking like Q1 of 2010. So far, there is inclining that the artwork that started this thing won't be that speculative. What I mean is that we might be getting some of the regular stuff like jumpacks. According to him, this rumour did not come from him but he follow up an innocent halo head looking up. Take it as you will as it is one of those half full, half empty cases but I've found that you can count on half full with this guy.

My thoughts now:

I heard they did this in 2nd edition, where GK were...Grey Marines, having everything but being little more than a variant chapter. However, I for one don't mind this. One of the things I love about playing my sisters is how they actually have different units: Serephim are different from Battle Sisters are different from Retributor Squads, etc. We have PAGKs and Terminators. Change is good and I don't think it has to be feared because I think that it can be done very tactfully as we have seen from IG and Eldar. Eldar have a huge armoury of so many different weapons which show that GW can make unique weaponry and IG will have a huge variety of tanks (20 to be exact) and troops, showing a flexibility in the unit selection. Both of these applied here would make for a flavorful and strong codex that would make us a distinct aspect of the Imperium (as people are going to find out how different guard is going to play and how much it will contrast with SM).

PS- Shout out to WH for getting in the top 20 at this past GD! Woo!

Archived