FAQ: Armor damage ?

olii

Armour:

Black basecoat, just larger than the area you actually want to be scratched.

Tin Bitz, just inside (quarter millimetre, literally) that.

Boltgun Metal

Chainmail

Mithril Silver

(last 3 are all at about 1/4 millimetre in from previous highlight also.)

M

search it on coolminiornot for pictures

all you need is black, dark brown and white(or a bright highlight of the colour you are scratching)

paint area, dark brown in irregular shape but flowing with normal scratch patterns, then highlight the bottom edge, and put a black line on the top edge, for deeper "cuts" paint thicker black around the edges, or simly use more black and make the hole/scratch bigger

heres an example:(save the picture and zoom in)

Here

Starks

• 1 month later...

I actually use the GW method of creating scratches and gouges on my marines.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spa...rmor/combat.htm

Then to paint, paint your model as normal. If you use a black undercoat leave the scratched areas un painted then build up from bolt gun metal or if you want a more rusted look use tin bits and work up form there. If you use a white or light color under coat paint as normal then paint around the area in Chaos black and follow the instructions above.

I'll have some new models painted soon so you can see how I do it.

I use this method all the time since I'm building a White Scars army and love the idea that they would prize the scars on there armor and vehicles just as much as on there faces.

"For the Kahn and the Emperor"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there,

Saw this mini in White Dwarf. Does anyone know how the painted battle damage effects are achieved?

Looks like it's just a line of black/dark paint and the edge is highlighted with white/light paint. Is it that simple or is there more to it?

gallery_26205_3282_590443.jpg

They're painted on as you describe I think. Dark line, with a thin light line under it. Edge damage may or may not be done with a knife to improve the look in profile, but the painting is the same.

It's all paint, as far as I can discern. I did a brief tutorial with Todd Swanson on this, and it's just the dark line over light line method. I don't think masterclass painters tend to hack their minis with knives anymore. It's kind of an affront to your abilities as a painter at that level.

Looks like it's just a line of black/dark paint and the edge is highlighted with white/light paint. Is it that simple or is there more to it?

its as simple as that (well with a few more colors to build up the shadow/dirt/scratch)

the problem is that it would need a huge amount of concentration, a steady hand the right colours and look teal

so although its an easy technique its very hard to do it as well as it is done in the picture

I was wondering what the best way to do battle damage on black would be? I looked around and could not find anything on it so I was looking for some help. I saw a chaos rhino with rust painted on it but I am unsure as to weather or not that would look good on pre heresy deathwing termies and there tanks. any suggestions and pics would be greatly appreciated. Thank you battle brothers.

If you wan't to do a chipped look you would have to paint it the armour something that isn't pure black, I usually don't paint things pure black anyways so this isn't a problem but I know others do. Here is a really nice example, its not my own but might give you an idea.

Brother Micah

A good way for actual battle damage (IE Bolter hits, lascannon shots), is using a drill or dremel to make very shallow indentations, then painting these a metal or ceramic color. Another way is to purposely do the damage on an accented non black part of the model, so maybe paint some of the panels on an LR or Rhino a bleached bone or off white for your deathwing, then do scorching or hits on them. that way, you still get the damage, and I've always liked contrasting colors on tanks. if you have any old models, experiment on them, and if you don't, then try some cardboard or scraps of plasticard. I've found many a cool effect purely by accident. Hope This helps!

• 4 weeks later...

i am tired , been awake for many hours , and it is probably me but i cant find a decent guide for painting Armour damage.

I have found links to peoples photos but no decent tutorials , can anyone help..

my diy chapter are looking WAY to tidy for my liking , they look like the would dive for cover at the first sign of combat..and we just cant have that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived