Demonic Incursion

djkest

***********************************************************************************

Based on Call of Chaos III, I pledged to paint a Soul Grinder, Demon Prince of Nurgle, Herald of Tz, 5 Bloodcrushers, and a Bloodthirster.

***********************************************************************************

Okay, so let's start this up! This will be a more detailed blog of my Call of Chaos III stuff, plus the other things in my army not in the constest. Chaos Demons. I have almost all of my stuff, there might be some tweaking to the army list as time goes by. So for starters, let's give a rough outline of what I have:

1 Bloodthirster

1 Tz Herald on a Chariot (most expensive model!)

4 Bloodcrushers + 1 Herald on a Bloodcrusher

4 flamers

12 Bloodletters

12 pink horrors

10 Plaguebearers (sort of)

1 Demon Prince

1 Soul Grinder

(and Currently, I'm thining about a 2nd soul grinder or 2nd Herald of Tz)

Let's kick it off with some preliminary pics! I'm still in the process of modeling a lot of this stuff. It takes a lot of work, especially for the metal guys. Of course, this is very much a work in progress. A lot of these pics are here just to show where I'm at today. Most stuff is assembled (60%?), some is primed, some is painted, but NONE of it is finished yet. I tend to work on what I feel like.

gallery_39431_3452_11698.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_37058.jpg

It may be hard to see, but his arm is totally reposed with the axe. I had to cut/ file/ pin because his axe was stabbing his wing (which is slightly repositioned as well). I even had to greenstuff the gap to look like his muscle. More pics of this later.

gallery_39431_3452_32812.jpg

The first model EVER that I'm actually going to paint before it's completely assembled. BTW I love the SG model.

gallery_39431_3452_11989.jpg

I have no idea what the colors on that herald will be. I'm kind of trying to make it look like the box. Sad, i know.

gallery_39431_3452_34712.jpg

Friend told me he can't be nurgle with a 6-pack- but I like those demonic abs!I think the armor on this guy will end up a dirty gold color, or maybe a rusty looking black. This guy is being done w/ reaper paints. More matte.

You'll notice some of these on fantasy bases, that is because my army will largely be able to function in both 40k and fantasy realms.

Nurgle isn't the god of beer-bellies. Nowhere does it say a nurlge demon can't be heavily muscled, that bloat is just the 'fashion trend' these days. I think you could hit the demon prince with a wash or two of thraka green and devlan mud, it'll really go well with the green you painted.

gallery_39431_3452_21696.jpg

Idea for an upright biped Soul Grinder that would fit neatly on a 60mm base. My first SG will not be one of these, but the second might.

gallery_39431_3452_12039.jpg

Screamers for the Tzerald chariot.

gallery_39431_3452_48131.jpg

Pink Horrors. They are made from the WE dryad box. I think they are going to look excellent.

And here's the test model. Oddly, it seems to look better in person than in the pic. I think it may be one of those things where it looks better from 12" away.

gallery_39431_3452_16730.jpg

Might go for some more pink as a more stark contrast. Hard to see from this pic but there are 3 shades of purple and then some very light white/purple mix brushed on top.

The eyes are so small I literally had to use the tip of a pin to dot them, and then clean up the edges with a pin putting stippling under the eye. I guess these thins are just tiny.

Notice the GF9 magnetic base on this dude as well. Whole army (should be) magnetic based by the end.

Yes well, I did the rest of my "purple" horrors today. Here's the steps: First one is dark purple, next has the purple basecoat, and last one is "amethyst purple", and finally one with some white drybrushed highlights.

gallery_39431_3452_11008.jpg

And my soul grinder. It's amazing how fast you can work with a tank brush on this thing! I mixed some "custom" demi-metlallic paint for the metal. It is about 1/2 boltgun metal, 1/3 Valleho Black, and the rest is Reaper Muddy brown. It's a multicultural paint. Will get a wash or two and then some highlights I'm thinking for the "engine" on the back.

gallery_39431_3452_95215.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_73395.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_51564.jpg

For those of you wondering, the entire SG was primed with Krylon Fusion Black semi-gloss. The body of the SG was done using a reaper triad. I used midnight blue as the base, and used a tank brush to color all of the demon flesh. I then took Twilight blue, again with a tank brush, and did all the raised areas, just leaving a little of the darker shadows in a few places. Next I overbrushed Snow Shadow again on top of that. Lastly, some Pure White was drybrushed on the areas that I thought reflected the most light.

I plan on making a glaze of the dark midnight blue and then possibly re-highlighting after that. I think it looks pretty good right now though.

gallery_39431_3452_69032.jpg This is what I did to his base.

Update: I've been working on my plaguebearers. I've spent so much money on them, that I could have bought the metal ones! Oh well, that just means I need to spend time on them so that they look good.

I guess you call it "kit bashing", I used the Kroot Warrior box (thanks to a suggestion I found online), but used the heads from the plastic ghouls box. The ghouls box actually comes with about 18 heads. So with 1 ghoul box ($22), and 1 kroot box ($35) I can make 16 plaguebearers- well, and I have 10 headless ghouls as well! This vs. $66 for 3 PB boxes, it's only a marginal cost savings. :/

So I was just going to use plastic ghouls for the PB, but as I looked at them, they really didn't look right, and they were much too SMALL to represent S4 T5 FnP models. They are made for WHFB, 20mm base size, not a 25mm round. I think THIS picture illustrates my point.gallery_39431_3452_70251.jpg

I've never done much for greenstuff work, I just wanted to add some bulk and variety / defects to the models. And some scars.

gallery_39431_3452_5955.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_2517.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_49515.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_29398.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_6352.jpg

where did you get the disk for the chariot? and i am assuming the flamers are greenstuff. also isnt the herald of tzeenech a pink horror? even if a pink horror on a flying chariot does look weird even in the warp.

thanks

antique_nova

Disk for the chariot (and rider) are WHFB Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord on a Disc.

The flamers are metal- not sure what you mean by that.

The Herald of Tzeentch could be whatever you want. He is no more a pink horror than he is a flamer. I pictured him to be a mini lord of change, with birdlike features. I was contemplating using the Tzeentch sorcerer model for him, as it has a staff and a bird face on it. Already though that model has cost me about $55, so I'm not sure if I'll be buying another fig to make the herald or not.

Hope that answers your questions.

Greetings! I have finished my Soul Grinder, although looking at these pics, I think I need to have him visit the dentist. I ended up spending a LOT of time on him- maybe 12 or 14 hours. I guess I realized he is big and has a lot of surface area. Anywho, tell me what you think!

gallery_39431_3452_5189.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_25210.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_43576.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_18762.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_51469.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_33082.jpg

I am working on the bloodletters now, they are about 80% done!

• 1 month later...
Sorry, I've been neglecting this blog. I have done more work to the Demon Prince, and nearly finished 12 bloodletters. I also started work on my flamers, and they look pretty awesome so far for the amount of time I spent on them. Pics coming soon (tomorrow?)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry for the huge delay. Here's some WIP stuff. A lot of this is about 80% done, but I have to finish the details before it's all done.

gallery_39431_3452_15518.jpg

Tzeentch chariot, minus rider...

gallery_39431_3452_33755.jpg

Some Bloodletters, still looking to add some contrasting color to them, and need to finish their faces.

gallery_39431_3452_42118.jpg

The Juggernauts: Still need to finish all the metal pieces on these!

gallery_39431_3452_86185.jpg

But at least I'm showing some progress. :D

changeling (still need a pic of the front).

gallery_39431_3452_10343.jpg

Juggernauts..

gallery_39431_3452_10054.jpg

It took a lot of work to get this guy "off the ground". I had to drill and pin both legs, then I drilled holes in 2 nickles, and glued them to the inside bottom of the base, for support. And the result is that he is only about 1/4 inch off the ground. Oh well.

gallery_39431_3452_37528.jpg

Herald / Rending modelgallery_39431_3452_5324.jpg

gallery_39431_3452_32952.jpg

Archived